RACISM Behind 1909 Watch Tower Magazine Name Change

by West70 30 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Terry
    Terry

The American society thrived off the sweat and pain of unpaid labor throughout the years of slavery with the most modest of pangs of "conscience" made public by free thinkers.

Essentially, by treating black people as utilities, chattel and denying them human status (except by invoking fractions) the imprint on "white" consciousness was that of making excuses for this behavior.

When you deny a people the right to read and write and separate families at will for whatever cause you may summarily and arbitrarily choose--you are not just a racist. You are a sadist and scoundrel with societal approval.

Even further...the churches heaped mountains of "scripture" on their sadistic racism by declaring blackness was the stamp of the disapproval of God himself!

Generations of white people breathed this noxious air from their mother's breast to their dying day fully convinced that blackness was not unlike leprosy or mental retardation!

You cannot find much basis for excusing this inhumanity and this blindness on the one hand or for parsing it into good/better/best examples on the other. Racism is a blight upon rational human thought and cannot be dismissed, excused or watered down by explanations of social consciousness.

The Watchtower, its publishers and the white people who read it were steeped in the very deep waters of racist philosophy. I have no doubt they thought themselves loving, kind and benevolent toward blacks, but, it does not change the insidious monstrosity of their racism.

The Watchtower, had it represented a God of good will and loving kindness at any point in its history would have led a campaign of high alert to inform the world that Christianity cannot exist in a state of racism.

They not only missed their chance to be a beacon of loving kindness--they were blind to the nature of their social depravity altogether.

Racism has not been thwarted by Jehovah's Witnesses in the vanguard of social justice at any time or any place in its tortured history.

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

terry,

..."racism is a blight upon rational human thought and cannot be dismissed, excused, or watered down by explanations of social consciousness."

this may be true because racism (then-now-whenever) can only be dismissed, excused, or watered down for political expediancy. true then, true now.

..."they not only missed their chance to be a beacon of loving kindness--they were blind to the nature of their social depravity altogether"

who didn't, who isn't? shoulda, woulda, coulda...it is easy to criticize a policy from 100 years ago but it is also pretty much a waste of time because russell is dead, rutherford is dead, and any black african american person of color who was affected by this policy is dead...does that mean racism is dead? of course not. i can't force you to like me, i can't force you to adopt a new attitude, i can only force you to give me my legal due.

aren't there more pressing problems with the wtbts in 2006? blood, shunning, lawyers as religious leaders, hypocrisy of all sorts at all levels, pedophiles in position of power, lust for mo' money...

j2s

• Terry
    Terry
    who didn't, who isn't? shoulda, woulda, coulda...it is easy to criticize a policy from 100 years ago but it is also pretty much a waste of time because russell is dead, rutherford is dead, and any black african american person of color who was affected by this policy is dead...does that mean racism is dead? of course not. i can't force you to like me, i can't force you to adopt a new attitude, i can only force you to give me my legal due.

aren't there more pressing problems with the wtbts in 2006? blood, shunning, lawyers as religious leaders, hypocrisy of all sorts at all levels, pedophiles in position of power, lust for mo' money...

j2s

We can move on when we are white, can't we?

But, if our Mama had to scrub floors and empty people's garbage to put us in a second-rate school we can't complain if we are black, right?

Lots of white people have had bad things happen to them, right? But, not BECAUSE they were white; it was just circumstance.

To have the bad world come down on your family's head because it is the wrong shade of color is something you can never understand unless YOU are the wrong shade of color.

Black people weren't judged for the content of their character but the amount of melanin in their skin.

The Watchtower represents itself as the forefront of a messege FROM THE KING OF THE UNIVERSE and yet, has no history of being the slightest bit concerned with the plight of black people.

I see a horrible disconnect in that. You don't.

Hmmmm.....why, oh why?

T.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The Watchtower Society that I have known over the past 50 years has always been totally against racism of any kind . It has not made a campaign against segregation , because it said it was preaching the Kingdom which would put right these injustices and as long as they could carry on preaching that message, they tolerated segregation in South Africa and the Southern States. I believe their record stands up well against other denominations at the time.

In the early days the writings reflected the prevailing spirit of the day. After it didn't have any Holy Spirit to guide it, did it?

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

terry,

are you telling me no white european american of color(just a different color) has never been discriminated against? my momma raised two children working as a nurse's aide beginning in the late 1940's. i can gurantee, you empty more than peoples' garbage on a job like that. can you tell me her color?

you are absolutely right, people of color were not treated with decency or respect in the past or for that matter the present. but then no one else is either. your comment about the "wrong shade of color" makes me ask...what is the wrong shade of color? mine? yours? swedes? tutsis? i don't see any thing wrong with any of them, and i don't think you do either.

you see a "horrible" disconnect with a church that claims a connection with the "king of the universe" and their lack of history in the civil rights movement. i see a "horrible" disconnect with the same church that makes the same claim(as do all religions) that has a lack of history in dealing with the problems i mentioned in my 1st post...blood, shunning, lawyers as religious leaders, hypocracy of all sorts at all levels, pedophiles in positions of power, lust for mo' money... you don't. hmmmm.....why, oh why?

let's take care of today's problems because those are the only ones you and i can actually have an affect on. history has passed and can only be changed in theroy not in fact.

j2s

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

That was the prevailing thought of the time. I have an old deed from my great great grandfather's cemetery plot and that forbids the burying of colored people of any time. It was a horrible time in our history. Just visit the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis and you'll leave a different person.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    WT/JWs have always been among the leading Christian church to embrace persons of color and jews and to support the rights and positive views of these. The publications have always promoted ethnic and cultural differences and touted these as wonderful facets of our life.

Maybe sometimes, but certainly not always.

Proof: http://jwinfo.8m.com/brochures/brochure%20are%20JWs%20loving.doc

• Terry
    Terry
    you see a "horrible" disconnect with a church that claims a connection with the "king of the universe" and their lack of history in the civil rights movement. i see a "horrible" disconnect with the same church that makes the same claim(as do all religions) that has a lack of history in dealing with the problems i mentioned in my 1st post...blood, shunning, lawyers as religious leaders, hypocracy of all sorts at all levels, pedophiles in positions of power, lust for mo' money... you don't. hmmmm.....why, oh why

I've no problem with you.

I have a problem with selective thinking.

In for a penny; in for a pound.

You mention a laundry list of "missed opportunities" and then, shrug off the racial one.

I'm for including EVERYTHING.

That's my cavil.

Humanity is fragile. The Doctrines of religion trample the fragililty in humans.

It is like a hospital that refuses to admit patients BECAUSE they are sick.

Religion uses human fragility as their selling point! It offers a cure.

Then, it turns around and uses the fragility as an issue to dominate and subjugate its members.

Jehovah's Witnesses-----BY THEIR VERY CLAIMS OF HAVING THE ONLY TRUE RELIGION----cannot be let off the hook for their abject refusal to minister to those who are most vulnerable among mankind.

Jesus represented himself in the kindest and most humane of terms. The Watchtower Society has flipped that upside down. I say, hold their feet to the fire for ALL there inconsistencies in representing the Kingdom of Christ!!

• Terry
    Terry
    The Watchtower Society that I have known over the past 50 years has always been totally against racism of any kind . It has not made a campaign against segregation , because it said it was preaching the Kingdom which would put right these injustices and as long as they could carry on preaching that message, they tolerated segregation in South Africa and the Southern States. I believe their record stands up well against other denominations at the time.

This is weak praise for a good reason.

THE WATCHTOWER SOCIETY DID NOTHING TO MAKE CIVIL RIGHTS A REALITY.

There were black congregations (Kingdom Halls) and there were white.

All the door to door work of all the JW's with their bold stance for Jehovah's righteousness amounts to spit.

That's right; spit!

There were people who laid their lives on the line to march and to stand up for the people of color WHEN IT REALLY WOULD HAVE MADE A DIFFERENCE.

Hint: there were no JW's in that group!

Why?

The Watchtower Society's good intentions were passive and not activist.

Don't be deluded by rhetoric. Something is True when it is backed up by action. All the "good intentions" in the world won't open a door or comfort a crying child.

Ever hear the old cliche' of the racist?

"Heck, I ain't got nothin' against black people. Why, some of my best friends are colored."

That is your average Jehovah's Witness in the 50's and 60's.

Reality check.

• LDH
    LDH
    Our present enrolment is 25,000. This is only half the list we think we should have. It is the only discouraging feature connected with this report. It shows no increase over last year. For our encouragement, however, we must remember that during this year the Postoffice Department put into effect with all publications a rule intended to cut off the lists the names of all who do not actually subscribe and .....

JW facts is also right, if you print a letter that is supposed to be penned by the almighty himself, it carries much more weight than a Letter to People magazine.

Terry is also right. The JW missed the entire civil rights movement. They should have been at the forefront. Remember, they speak for God himself.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit