How long would it take? (Physics question, sort of. Maybe)

by AlmostAtheist 39 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    DanTheMan, does that book have any sort of explanation to back up the assertion? Is it saying that space-time itself cannot accomodate the transmission of an impulse

Hi rmt1, I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but I think what the author is asserting is that the impulse is bound by the rules of space-time and therefore cannot travel along the rope faster than the speed of light.

• skinnyboy
    skinnyboy

what if the bar cut straight through a worm hole right in the bar's dead centre, as you pushed it, would it prod you in the back?

• TopHat
    TopHat

I'm sending out for pizza....anybody else got the munchies?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    Anybody got a 9-trillion kilometer 4x4 in their garage?

Damnit! I was saving it for my first Christmas Yule log, but it is for a worthy cause...

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

(oops! double-post )

• Satanus
    Satanus

I say that it's instantaneous. The way you describe the material, it would be very stiff and solid. So, i say there is no time lag from movement at your end to movement at the other end. Where are you going w this? Let me guess, something along the lines of the old solid eather thing, or tesla's instantaneous remote control ideas? Interesting.

S

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Where are you going w this? Let me guess, something along the lines of the old solid eather thing, or tesla's instantaneous remote control ideas? Interesting.

I was thinking a while back about people living in another part of the galaxy. Assuming we conquer aging at some point, people could venture out on ships, spend thousands of years getting where they were going and all that, but then be unable to communicate. I was imagining some instant communication system based on physical objects suspended in space between two points. Push on your end, I see it at my end.

There are SO MANY problems* with this that it is wholly unworkable. But the basic concept of a really long thing in space that gets pushed is still neat. (Essentially any catalyst for winding up in a bar watching the game is a good thing.)

* problems with it:

1. There is no such things as "points" in space, since everything is moving all the time.
    2. This thing would need to be built out of something. Where will you get the material?
    3. It would have some ridiculous mass. What would you move it with?
    4. It would take a while to build. Making something trillions of miles long isn't a weekend project!
    5. It wouldn't/couldn't be as rigid as the hypothetical rod. It would flex in the middle.
    6. I wouldn't swear to it, but I would bet there would be a certain amount of compressibility in any material, so even if it were rigid, it would still allow for some amount of compression on one end without reflecting it on the other end.
    7. More? (Surely...)

Dave

• Satanus
    Satanus
    I wouldn't swear to it, but I would bet there would be a certain amount of compressibility in any material, so even if it were rigid, it would still allow for some amount of compression on one end without reflecting it on the other end.

I thought something like steel wouldn't, but i'm not a physical engineer to say for certain. If it did, then it wouldn't be quite instantaneous.

I was imagining some instant communication system

Good idea. How about virtual mechanisms?

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

I understand that scalar fields act in a similar manner. Check them out at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalar_field

S

• rmt1
    rmt1

Thank you DanTheMan. http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae658.cfm. An attempt to summarize: As unintuitive as it is, we are not permitted to imagine that JUST because a hypothetical I-beam of pure space time (check out Greg Bear's EON) has no mass ergo no intertia, and no internal structure except one contiguous light-year long unity of length ergo no compression, that it is STILL allowed to act upon a point one light year distant from its original impulse. The structure of space time is what limits the partical-wave of light to go at "only" the speed of light, same with gravity and all EM in vacuum, and apparently the impulse of information. I think it sucks. It doesn't bode well for purchasing a Millenium Falcon (a hybrid, of course).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit