info about selling houses and pioneering right before 1975???

by bitemeWT 17 Replies latest jw friends

• garybuss
    garybuss

I need it for a ebay person that is calling their fellow bros and sis IDIOTS if they thought that Armageddon was coming in 1975.
    I was one of the fellow bros who thought Armageddon was coming in 1975 and I have to say I was an idiot for thinking that. I have no problem with somebody calling me stupid, or an idiot for believing Armageddon is ever coming. 1975 was just the period on the sentence that started with "Jehovah's Witnesses" for me.
    It's actually good I believed it. If I hadn't believed it, I may still be a half assed Witness today. Now I'm a half assed something else with free Tuesday and Thursday nights.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There are actually three statements on this made by the Watchtower Society during the run-up to 1975:

*** w67 2/15 pp. 118-119 "From a Weak State . . . Made Powerful" ***

There is a pioneer brother, still serving in the south of New Zealand at eighty-seven years of age, and his faithful pioneer wife is even a few years older. He sold his business in 1914, so that he could enjoy at least a few months of "colporteur" pioneer service before the expected big crash came in the autumn of that year. He is fond of quoting Jeremiah 20:7: "You have fooled me, O Jehovah, so that I was fooled." For though he had expected his pioneer service on earth to be for a brief season only, it has stretched out through more than fifty rewarding years, together with trials and reproaches. And at last reports, he is still going "strong," like Samson. Would he have had it any different? No! Moreover, he encourages young people to have the same viewpoint that he had back there in 1914. Make the most of the golden opportunity of pioneering the good news NOW!

*** km 5/74 p. 3 How Are You Using Your Life? ***

Yes, since the summer of 1973 there have been new peaks in pioneers every month. Now there are 20,394 regular and special pioneers in the United States, an all-time peak. That is 5,190 more than there were in February 1973! A 34-percent increase! Does that not warm our hearts? Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world’s end.—1 John 2:17.

"The youth has a bright future. Many of us suffered from misery, sickness and death. You don't have to experience that any more. The new order is near. ... There will be a very special Service Meeting in the week of 8 September 1975. Invite everybody. And what will then happen? Well, we don't tell. You think, that if Jehovah makes such an appeal, that there's nothing unusual behind it? Yes? ...Well, sell your house, sell everything you own and say oh boy, how long can I carry on with my private means. That long? Get rid of things! Pioneer! Plan to shower people with magazines during these last months of this dying system of things! Everybody you meet!" (Branch overseer of the Netherlands, speaking at the Divine Purpose District Assembly, Utrecht, Holland, Aug. 1974. Recorded on audio tape. Cited in Singelenberg 1989).
  • pratt1
    pratt1

I know of some dubs who went on lavish vacations or bought a lot of things on credit under the belief that the would never have to pay off those debts.

They were truly IDIOTS.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I was born in 1975. I came to find out, quite recently and through 3rd parties that my mom "planned me" for that year and was certain that I would be born shortly before the big day in October of that year so she could claim the title of having a New System baby. Yikes.

• Carol
    Carol

Garybuss, I don't know if I've ever said this to someone I've never met, actually I know I haven't, but I love you and I love you comments. You never fail to hit the nail on the head.....or should I just comment on your comment DITTO!

Soledad, my son was born in February of 1975, not on purpose, but that's the way it worked out and a number of the older sister, my mother included "rejoiced that he would be growing up in the new system of things". I was also told I should have waited, because then I wouldn't have had to suffer through labor pains??????? He didn't (grow up in the truth, let alone the new system of things), I did (have 72 hours of labor)! Go figure!

• garybuss
    garybuss

Carol, You wrote: "You never fail to hit the nail on the head....."I fail so much I may hold the record for nail missing. Thanks for the message of love though, that's appreciated and accepted.

• bitemeWT
    bitemeWT

Thank you everyone, for your help!

I didn't want to reply back to this person without proper ammo.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Just to comment, my parents never bought into the 1975 business. My mom had me in 1972, sis in 1974, bro in 1975, another bro in 1978. So not all j dubs were hyper about 1975.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit