Born in or brought in observation

by startingover 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• anglise
    anglise

Hi Starting Over

we where already heavily involved our local church when we started studying 20+ years ago and had been "church raised" from young.

Having spent about 18 years in the borg we dont belong to any religious group.

Would love to know that there really was some sort of higher power/god in overall control but as yet have not seen or read anything that is convincing.

So we follow the general precepts of being nice to all as far as possible and trying to look after our shared planet.

We reason that by doing this most benign deities might look kindly on us when/if we eventually find them LOL

Hope this makes sense.

Anglise

• Undecided
    Undecided

My life is about over, I wish I could be born again and have those years over again.

Ken P.

You do know what I mean, really be given birth again as a new baby. On second thought I think I'll just finish this life out and be done with it, after all that is all anyone can do.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Brought in (at 13); born again... to atheism?

• Cellist
    Cellist

I wasn't born into it. Even the thought of connecting to another religion gives me the creeps. No thank you.

Cellist

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Born-in. Now I'm me and the universe.

steve

• Mulan
    Mulan

our youngest son was a "born in" and within a couple of years of all of us leaving the JW's, he was a born-againer. He was 18 when we left so maybe he was too young to be too analytical about it all. And he fell in love with a pastor's daughter too.............and they are now married.

Many factors come into play.

Techincally I was a born in, because my parents became JW's when I was 4, and I remember little else about before that time. The last thing I wanted was another religion when we left it. Dave's family became JW's when he was about 16, and he was diligent about studying it all. We are on the same page, spiritually speaking (no involvement in religion of any kind, and a bit agnostic), so I kind of think there isn't a set pattern to how people go after leaving it.

• kid-A
    kid-A

Excellent thread!

I was also born in and am now god-free. All of my JW friends that were born in and then left, are all atheist now. Of the few adult converts I know that left the JWs, they just switched to another religion (often just as absurd as the JWs). I would say, in general, those born in have to grow through a hell of a lot more crap in their lives than those who "chose" to join the JWs as adults.....we suffered the humiliation in school, the childhoods void of b-days, x-mas, easter, halloween, etc. And had to spend our earliest, formative years in "fear" of the bully-god jehovah who was just on the verge of annihilating the world and everything in it.

-Thus, I think it would be way more likely for a person born into it to completely abandon any belief in the paranormal. Adult converts are obviously 'searching' for something and must be religiously inclined to begin with or they would never have stumbled into the JW cult.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I was brought i , I suppose, having started studying at 40 and baptised at 41. I wasn't a believer in god pre - jw, and I am no longer a believer now. After 13 mostly unpleasant years in the borg, another religion is the las thing I'd want, or need

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was born into the jws. Left at age 38. I'm a Christian now...not a pushy one though 
    Coffee 
  • Severus
    Severus

Born in -- now a dogmatic agnostic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit