Yin and Yang, Right and Wrong, Love and Hate...

by FMZ 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    People will give different answers to the above. I am not saying what mine would be, but I think it shows that there are two sides to everything . I work with a Muslim lad who is fond of saying "Only God can judge me".

I guess that is right.

This is exactly what I am thinking. It's about being judgmental and not waiting for all the facts. It's a demonstration of how we can all jump to conclusions and misread people's motives. Here's a recent experience with this:

I work at restaurant/country gift shop. Their policy is that everything, morally, has to be country fresh. Well, they play a song there that one of my coworkers was upset about. She misunderstood what the song is about. She said it wasn't country fresh. I'll paste the lyrics for you. I looked them up on the internet and printed them and brought them to work so everyone could see. This song is a lesson in gossip and judgmentalism, if that's a word.

Artist: Ames Brothers Song Lyrics: Naughty Lady Of Shady Lane, The

The naughty lady of Shady Lane

Has hit the town like a bomb

The back-fence gossip aint been this good

Since Mabel ran off with Tom

Our town was peaceful and quiet

Before she came on the scene

The lady has started a riot

Disturbin the suburban routine

CHORUS

The naughty lady of Shady Lane has the town in a whirl

Me-oh, my-oh, what a girl

You should see how she carries on

With her admirers galore

She must be givin them quite a thrill

The way they flock to her door

She throws those come-hither glances

At every Tom, Dick, and Joe

When offered some liquid refreshment

The lady never never says no

CHORUS

The things theyre trying to pin on her

Wont hold much water, for sure

Beneath the powder and fancy lace

There beats a heart sweet and pure

She just needs someone to change her

And shell be nice as can be

If youre in the neighborhood, stranger

Youre welcome to drop in and see

So delightful to hold

So delectable

Quite respectable

And shes only NINE DAYS OLD!!!

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

"Obedience follows the law. But love knows when to break them."

• Terry
    Terry
    It's all so subjective.

What is love? What is right? Just a few thoughts...

You are confused.

Love and Right are concepts.

The definition of these concepts require specificity of context.

You are treating concepts as if they were absolutes.

Concepts are not absolutes except within a defined context.

Without context nothing is anything at all.

T.

• kid-A
    kid-A

I'm sorry, but I don't think the Nazi Third Reich was based on love

It was based entirely on love!! Love for Adolph Hitler. His supporters adored him and worshipped him and would have gladly died for him. Love can be wonderful and it can also be poisonous. As Terry said, it depends entirely on the context.

• poppers
    poppers

"Without context nothing is anything at all."
    That's right. And what puts anything into context? The human mind. And what assigns something the label of right/wrong, good/bad, and all possible pairs of opposites? A viewpoint held by an egoic entity, an entity which when searched for cannot be found!
    Without any viewpoint, without a mind to assign meaning, everything is as it is, unfolding in the ever present moment. When a "position" is created regarding anything a duality has been created as well. It is in this field of duality that all problems arise.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

What happens to our pet words (love, right etc.) when we stretch them out of their usual, limited, relative, partial, shortsighted contexts? They tend to tear, break up or implode. Sometimes they leave a sort of semantic fragrance, a ghost of their meaning.

What is "love" extended to the scope of the universe, if not a vague yet persistent sense of belonging and connection? What is "right" by the same excessive measure, except a basic "right to be" which applies equally to the worst villains and the best heroes, or to the most unknown grain of sand?

Some would say this is a futile exercise. I don't think so. It leads us to the secret place of existential decision where we realise we want everything to be -- with all the horrors this implies. Should we be given the opportunity to switch the world off we wouldn't. And this is a tremendous realisation.

• Terry
    Terry
    Terry: "Without context nothing is anything at all."

poppers:That's right. And what puts anything into context? The human mind. And what assigns something the label of right/wrong, good/bad, and all possible pairs of opposites? A viewpoint held by an egoic entity, an entity which when searched for cannot be found!

I hate to sound like a broken record. But, until I'm heard and understood I guess I'll have to be.

First of all, there is a real universe. How can you know it and use your knowledge to benefit your own life and purposes? Why, the answer to that is you measure it. You break it up into small chunks (concepts) and you define it as precisely as you can (definitions). You categorize your concepts into contexts. Then you distinguish each specific instance in terms of the most obviously applicable context. This is rational thinking and it has served science and mankind rather well.

But, no....along comes the Mystic. The Mystic can't be bothered with contexts and properly defined Concepts...no no no. The Mystic wants to break you loose from any of that! The Mystics seeks to blur the edges, confuse the issues and assault the very nature of man's mind (and man's only link with reality.) Why does the Mystic do this? To enable his takeover of your confused and bewildered mind with assurances that there is a greater reality than reality; a greater nature than nature (supernatural) and a process (ritual) that can plug you into to this "power" of "knowing" just like the Mystic himself (guru, shaman, priest, adept, enlightened master, anointed, etc.)

To break in to a house (as I have repeatedly said) the burglar has to get past the burglar alarms and the locks on the doors and windows. What if the burglar can convince you to do it for him? That is what the Mystic is all about, convincing you to drop your defenses and let him come in and take what he wants without a struggle.

The alarm should go off whenever anybody tries to convince you of what your mind CANNOT do. The alarm should go off when anybody tries to blur the distinction between what is real and what is imagined. The alarm should go off when anybody assaults the process of analysis, abstraction and definition by substituting confusion and turning inward toward intuition for inborn "knowledge" that trumps the measuring and weighing of conceptual contexts.

It is not the MIND which invents reality. It is the MIND which DISCOVERS reality. It is the MIND that abstracts sensory data and labels it and measures it and categorizes it and creates useful folders (concepts) that can be used for rational thinking about reality. Each contact the mind makes with sensory data is a refining process. As humans develop and mature they learn what works and what doesn't. Adapting the knowledge about reality to human purpose is what takes mankind away from animal dependency on mere appetite and opportunity. It has what has given us technology and free time and advancements in medicine a longer and healthier lifespans.

BUT, YOU HAVE TO GET A HANDLE on how your mind works to use it properly. If you don't know what your concepts are and how you got them and what definitions your mind holds that might be erroneous bunkum----you are operating on inadequate and self-defeating data that will swallow you up with unnecessary obstacles to your purposes.

You have to make your own effort to clean out the crap from your mind's folders and root out the nonsense "data" which is nothing more than conjecture, opinion, superstitious, illusion, propaganda and intuition.

INTUITION is unprocessed raw data lacking coherent context and definition which gives you that vague and fuzzy "gut" feeling that you "know" something. But, since you've not properly organized it and purified it of hearsay and error, it can be as helpful as it is misleading.

Substitute the actual comprehension of what you know for the vague intuition and you plug into wisdom rather than generality.

Our minds are as sharp and precise as we demand they be and as feckless and misguided as we allow. It all starts with a refusal to accept anything which does not have a concrete referent. What is sensible can be pointed to. What is illusory is not.

Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit