Yin and Yang, Right and Wrong, Love and Hate...

by FMZ 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FMZ
    FMZ

It's all so subjective.

What is love? What is right? Just a few thoughts...

----------------

Jimmy killed a man, shot him to death.

Ouch, all of a sudden we don't like Jimmy... in that one sentence we have summed Jimmy up as a murderer. But let's add more... the man he killed was breaking into his house and was a threat to the lives of Jimmy's friends, who lived at the house. Now we like Jimmy, he's a hero. But he still killed a man.

--------------

Jimmy bought Jenny some flowers and kissed her gently on the lips as he handed them over.

Isn't that a beautiful thing?

What if Jimmy has a wife? Now an absolutely pure, beautiful gesture becomes an act of "cheating". Why does the act of putting one's lips against another woman's lips constitute cheating? Either way, it was a loving gesture to Jenny, and she felt good about it. Was it wrong? Why? Or was Jolene (Jimmy's wife) wrong for being so selfish?

--------------

Jimmy shoved John in the street, and John fell on his ass.

Oh no, now Jimmy assaulted another man! But, he knocked the man clear of a truck about to mow him over. He saved his life! But wait... the man was trying to commit suicide. Was Jimmy wrong to save the guy? Most would say no. But.. the next day, the man went out and killed all of his fellow workers at the office where he just quit his job, then turned the gun on himself.

--------------------------------

Life is chaos. There is no black and white... right and wrong. The only reason there is a yang is because there is a yin to oppose it.

There is only love. Intent is the most powerful thing on the planet, and tempered with love, it can save the world.

Or end it.

FMZ

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

"There is only love." Absolutely. Like Einstein's theory of special relativity, you have summed up a great deal of existence in 3/4 of an inch (depending on the font). Is God trying to teach us what you have said, or is He running an experiment trying to prove it? Steven Hawkings says that the Arrow Of Time exisits because of entropy. Inescapable, inevitable, entropy; but "All We Need Is Love"?

"There is only love." I challenge Occam to reduce that.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I wish there was only love. I'm sorry, but I don't think the Nazi Third Reich was based on love. Unless of course it was love of cruelty. It's surely wasn't love of people. I guess this is how Christians can reason that God is love and then God can kill billions of people for not saying that "Take me into your heart and save me, Jesus" prayer.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Flyin'.... yep. I agree.

They had no love. And, since there is only love (IMHO), then a lack of love means they had nothing. They were empty.

FMZ

• FMZ
    FMZ

Also, Flyin, you might want to take a look over at the recent page of the Atheist / Agnostic thread ;)

FMZ

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

FlyingHighNow, Are you a true Russian? Or are you Belorussian? In the grand scheme of things, I suppose that Adolph, Stalin, Ghengis, Nixon, and whomever else you want to include, are speedbumps in the road to equilibrium. If everything can NOT be reduced to love, then what is the purpose? Entropy awaits us all. So let us all eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we may will die. What a f*cking waste.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude
    There is only love.

There is ONLY intent.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Very interesting re-phrasing Megs. (Good to see ya BTW). I shall ponder on your new thought for a few lifetimes, and undoubtedly, the answer shall be 42 ;)

FMZ

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Statistically, what's the interquartile range of such experiences?

Extreme "good" and extreme" bad" are somewhat rare, in that analysis. Most of us just get on with our lives, causing barely a ripple on the face of humanity. So many are an average 42...

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

The examples in FMZ's post reminded me of the "moral dilemmas " posed in a psychology course I once took. e.g , Jimmy raided a pharmacy and took some drugs - shame on Jimmy, condemned. But.....

Jimmy's wife was very sick, they lived in a country without proper recourse to law, his wife was dying . The Pharmacist had plenty of the drugs that would make her better. He refused to sell unless an extortionate price was charged. So Jimmy broke in - do we still view him the same?

Another Jimmy met a woman , kissed her and gave her flowers . His wife did not know about this - shame on Jimmy. But Jolene the wife was a horrible woman who refused him sex for years, and made his life hell. Do we still see it the same way?

People will give different answers to the above. I am not saying what mine would be, but I think it shows that there are two sides to everything . I work with a Muslim lad who is fond of saying "Only God can judge me".

I guess that is right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit