How do JW's refer to DF and DA?

by Jourles 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

I cannot for the life of me remember how I used to refer to ones who were df'd or had da'd while I was a jdub. I *think* I used to say "so and so was disfellowshipped" rather than "so and so was DF'd." But I can't remember.

A few days ago, I briefly overheard someone say "was DF'd," which caught my immediate attention. I was on another court practicing so I didn't catch what was really said. I am beginning to wonder if a couple of people that I play volleyball with are jdubs or ex-jdubs. I haven't asked and I don't really feel like volunteering that I am df'd myself in case they are witnesses. I don't think they are witnesses, just because the nights I play tend to fall on meeting nights. But who knows?

So do ex-jw's typically use the terms DF and DA, or do active witnesses use them too? Personally, now that I'm out, I pretty much use "DF" and "DA" exclusively instead of saying the words "disfellowshipped" or "disassociated."

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I think it is just an internet term. Like most things on the net get abbreviated so too with these abbrev.

Who the heck wants to spell/type out disfellowshipped and disassociated all the time

• Jourles
    Jourles

But the question is, how do you say it in real life? Since jdubbies are not supposed to be online chatting, do you think they carry over internet terms to their everyday speech? Is it a tell if you say "DF" rather than "disfellowshipped?"

• garybuss
    garybuss

I try to refer to the disfellowshipping and disassociating practice as shunning. That takes it to bare metal.
    Witnesses I know, refer to the endearing practices by the sugar coated terms of disfellowshipping and disassociating.
    When I hear that, I ask them, "Does that mean they are shunned and snubbed?". Many Witnesses have not thought about the term "snubbed". The Witnesses practice both shunning AND snubbing. Some Witnesses wonder why many people don't like them as a group. Hahaha!!!

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

I remember that we used to refer to disfellowshipping as df'd. As in, "so and so was df'd". This was long before the internet era.

• thom
    thom

I usually heard them use the word disfellowshipped. Only on a few occasions have I heard an active JW say df'd. I can't remember every hearing of someone being 'disassociated'. I knew someone that did so years ago, but she was usually referred to as someone who "left the truth".

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

We still said disfellowshipped or disassociated, but when my friend dedpoet da'd a few months ago the announcement said that he was "no longer one of jehovahs witnesses". He had da'd, not been df'd, but only those still in contact with him (myself really) knew he had.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

With the new announcement, "So-and-so is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses", how will they say it? My guess is that they'll keep calling it disfellowshipped. So they have effectively wiped the honorable "disassociated" right out of their theocratic lexicon.

Dave

• jula71
    jula71
    My guess is that they'll keep calling it disfellowshipped.

Nope, just had an Elder tell me a few weeks ago, those "terms" are no longer used, even in conversation. Now they just say "they are no longer a witness."

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Nope, just had an Elder tell me a few weeks ago, those "terms" are no longer used, even in conversation. ;Now they just say "they are no longer a witness."

Maybe. But considering that some still call return visits "back calls", I'm guessing it'll be a full generation before the "DF" term falls out of use. If then.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit