Mankind doesn't have the ability to govern himself, true or false?

by JH 13 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Jeremiah 10:23

23 I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Governing is done quite well in the western world, as well as in china. Other parts, like africa aren't governed so well. But, people get the government that they want/deserve. Ideally, we should be self governing, but, as long as the vast majority isn't, external govt will be necesary. 'Course, ot bible jews had a pretty crappy system, compared to what we have today. Without an on duty police force, safety and justice was a hit or miss affair. Civil strife was very common. It doesn't speak well for jehovah having been their king and national god which the priests were supposedly able to contact.

S

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    'Course, ot bible jews had a pretty crappy system, compared to what we have today. Without an on duty police force, safety and justice was a hit or miss affair. Civil strife was very common. It doesn't speak well for jehovah having been their king and national god which the priests were supposedly able to contact.

As JWs we were constantly taught that human government always failed, and we couldn't govern ourselves. But the nation of Israel was supposedly governed directly or indirectly by Jehovah for hundreds of years, and he did a terrible job. There were constant wars and other major societal problems. Of course, the JWs would say, that was because humans didn't follow Jehovah's perfect laws. But that's the problem with any sytem of government. All but the most absurd systems would work perfectly if everyone obeyed all the laws.

If the problem was that humans are imperfect, then it's not a fair test. The issue of whether humans can really govern themselves could be brought up again after the 1000-year reign when humans are perfect. The idea that the creator of the universe could behave in such a ridiculous manner seems so absurd to me now, that I can't believe I ever fell for it, even as a child.

In reality, of course, humans have to govern themselves because nobody else is going to. Governments that abandon any notion of a sky daddy are likely to fare better than those who still cling to outdated superstitions.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

True.

Can't you see how things are nowadays?! Wake up!!!

DY

• Undecided
    Undecided
    Governments that abandon any notion of a sky daddy are likely to fare better than those who still cling to outdated superstitions

The Communist goverment might bring doubt about this comment. Although the governments who try to seperate church and state have done pretty well.

Ken P.

• kid-A
    kid-A

We seem to be doing a hell of a lot better controlling things than god is !!!!

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

Some nations are models which the rest of the world would do well to emulate. I'm thinking in particular of Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, and Canada. The U.S. is better than many, but at least since 2000, kind of embarrassing. I think that over time, the good tends to outweigh the bad in more and more places, although some places do experience setbacks.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Whether this is true or false is immaterial:

-The fact is, we have to govern ourselves, as no other #^!$%^d will!

Jack.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I agree - even in a democracy there are huge flaws

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Mankind does a very poor job governing in a lot of ways.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit