I was reading a post today about the kingdom songs we sang as JW's.

by booker-t 41 Replies latest watchtower bible

• booker-t
    booker-t

I was thinking about the kingdom songs we sang as JW's and was wondering about you posters out there that are ex-jw's or still jw's what was you all time favorite "kingdom song" or what was you all time horrible song that we sang from both songbooks (1966 songbook or the later songbook made in 1984 sing praises to Jehovah. My favorite song was song #119 in the 1966 songbook "Keep your eyes on the Prize". I like this song because it made me feel that Armaggeddon was coming fast and the "new system" would be here to give me the prize. I hated the song from the old songbook and the new songbook "Jehovah is my refuge" because the phrase where it says "10,000 at my right hand 10,000 at my left" and I realized this was talking about dead bodies falling at Armaggeddon and it scared the life out of me because I use to think I would be one of those bodies falling. It is amazing since I have left how I realized the "brainwashing" they did to us using the Kingdom songs.

• twinflame
    twinflame

I can't help but think about the song, "We're Jehovah's Witnesses". I can still hear my kids belting out the one song they could sing. Some of them even sang their ABC's to the same tune!

Personally, the songs/singing at the KH always sounded pathetic to me. And why is it the ones that sing off key, sing the loudest? I think that was the thing I missed the most about 'Christendom'.....some good, heartfelt singing and the old hymms I grew up singing. That should have been my first clue that something was amiss when they have to have their own set of songs for praise!

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

I suppose that my favorite was "Were Jehovah's Witness" for some unknown reason. Probably because I knew most of the lyrics. As I entered adolescence my music taste changed significantly. I began to realize just how bad these songs were as far as quality is concerned.

I have an aunt who lives in MI and we would see her about once a year. When at her KH she would really belt them out, let me tell you. She had a pretty good voice too it was just kind of funny to me to see someone being so enthustiac about those songs. No one at my KH could hold a tune to save their life (myself included). I stoped singing them all togeather around the age of 14 +/-.

• twinflame
    twinflame

Funny, Darth....from your Avatar, it surprises me that you're not a good singer.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I liked #180 God's Own Book A Treasure probably since it was one of the easiest ones to play on the piano; that one and Life Without End At Last....

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Thanks guys.....now I have those stupid songs in my head.

I'm going to have to put on some 50 Cents or something to purge them from my head. UGH!

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I actually used to like this song towards the beginnning of the songbook... it was from one of the dramas... It was real bomp bomp bompy...

I hated the marriage is gods arrangement song.... we had a sister in our hall who thought she was some mad soprano singer and used to go to town with it... my ears! my ears!!

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Well you cant judge a book by its cover you know. Besides I've just recently changed my avatar, but I dont think the old one would have given you any different of an impression.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Not sure of the exact name or not, but it was something like "Let's Watch How we Walk, and Watch How we Talk!"

Of course, Shulamite Maiden was the one I wanted to walk down the aisle to. Thank heaven! it wasn't that but a Chopin...

CG

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    I hated the marriage is gods arrangement song....

One of our JWD humorists, either joannadandy or LovesDubs, pointed out some years ago that these lyrics fit perfectly into the theme song from "The Muppet Show."

I'm just sayin'.

GentlyFeral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit