A Perspective on Judgement

by bebu 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• bebu
    bebu

Tetra, don't presume and sell yourself short. Even you might not know who you really are, after all!! That is part of the point--to not make assumptions on surface appearances, even of whatever titles (ie atheist) you give yourself. It's God who declares the verdict, because He knows every extenuating circumstance.

If Christ is 'disguised' as a child, poor/hungry/thirsty/naked/imprisoned person, might he also disguise himself in other ways for us to relate/react to? He did with the guys on the way to Emmaus, in order to help them listen better. God is certainly not beyond being shrewd-- or sly!

Presuming one way or the other-- we might be right, of course. We could be wrong. It's just that some things that are (or appear) wrong still have a redeemable center. And some things that appear right are just shams. That's where I think I can appreciate the idea of a Verdict.

bebu

Now What, glad you like this thread too. I've been thinking for a few months about posting this topic.
  • Now What?
    Now What?

Even you might not know who you really are, after all!!

In applying this to myself, I find this both scary and comforting all at the same time. I could be a saint buried under material concerns or a devil held in restraint by social/moral convention. I am not so sure that I want to find out now. The final result could be a person far removed from what I think I am or want to be.

Or perhaps it's late and I have had too much wine. I need to reflect on this in the morning.

• skinnyboy
    skinnyboy

so if i get this right, ok.

I no longer believe in a supreme numero uno god, and on the day im am proved wrong and brought upto his prescence to explain myself, i can?

Awesome!

I would say something along the lines of:

Oh God, what a spiteful jealous god you are, you created everything, yet created us with a free will. What kind of sick twisted creature are you? Do you have issues? Tell me about your mother? Were you breastfed? With all the powers imaginable and yet you created us as your imperfect experiment and are suprised at the results? Where were you?

Is Satan here? He at least gave us something to look forward to!

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Very cool picture, JGnat, I saved it to my hard disk.

• bebu
    bebu

skinnyboy, 6 billion people today plus millions/billions from the past all have their own ideas about right/wrong and where (or whether) they fall on such a scale.

The idea of judgement here is very bald: we will simply be uncovered to show what we explicitly are. (Whether we can talk sensibly, let alone confidently, after that... )

bebu

• jgnat
    jgnat

bttt

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

interesting bebu. i guess i'll find out someday, or I won't.

TS

• jgnat
    jgnat

Tetrapod, a thought. Does it make a difference how a person responds to the daily prods of their conscience? Are there immediate and long term consequences for ignoring that inner voice?

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

Guilt is such a wonderful thing. Soldiers almost universaly admit that they faced the terrors of comabt because they didn't want to "let their buddies down". (No doing it for God and country!) Powerful stuff, that need to live up to someone else's ideals. Judgement? Whose gonna judge me more than myself? I used to feel very guilty over many things I did as a child, and I would constantly beat myself up over it; that is, until a very wise (yes, automatically that word eliminates 99.99% of the JW elder corps and GB) man pointed out that I was judging the actions of a 10 year old thru the eyes of a 50 year old. Now, to what level of guilt do I think any professed "God" would hold me?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Tetrapod, a thought. Does it make a difference how a person responds to the daily prods of their conscience? Are there immediate and long term consequences for ignoring that inner voice?

jgnat, yes it makes a difference. can you give me an example to work with so i can narrow my answer down a bit? i am not too concerned about immediate consequences. mostly long term ones. but i'll be able to say better when i can say what we are talking about. see you tomorrow. TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit