What religions did you seek since leaving? Or not?

by dezpbem 37 Replies latest jw friends

• inquirer
    inquirer

I don't think I could join another religion after being a JW -- I think it's a bit hypocritical of me if I joined another church.

In my opinion we shouldn't look at the JW's as being the most evil organization and then join another religion -- particularly the mainstream ones. Other religions have their faults I consider major... There are pedophiles and shunners their too. People in strange things like hellfire, trinitarianism, evolutionists, apocrypha, imagery, forcing money to be passed around and expect you to give where you should only give out of your heart!... wooden sits you can't sit on -- at least JW's give you proper seats. Even if I did except mainstream Christianity I just couldn't sit on wooden seats! I'm a comforts man! I don't want to have a sore bottom when I get up!

All religions indirectly have copied Judaism really... Twist or bend the basic concepts and wolla! There's a new religion and some guru/priest/preacher/monk says believe it or die or the equivalent of "f--- u" using spiritual language.

• skinnyboy
    skinnyboy

I think i'd rather have hot irons jammed up my rusty sherrif's badge than join another religion. They're all the same, All run by men who think they're in touch with "God"

Im mean faith, come on, faith in what? Faith in a flawed god, that tests us everyday to see if we still love him? Sounds like a mental abuser to me. No better than us mortals.

I worship at the religion of me and Mrs Skinnyboy, thats all we need, faith in each other to treat ourselves and our loved ones with basic human decency and love.

• Riverview
    Riverview

I didnt look to any religion at 1st - but have found an excellent non-denominational church.

We are now Christians and attend our non-denom. Church - because we want to belong to Christ alone and NO religious group or body - EVER!!

God Bless....

• inquirer
    inquirer

In the past, I've had brief interests in Deism and if I was preached with the Gnostic gospel and concepts -- I would intially find this a very interesting belief indeed if I hadn't got the 'real' Christ! But because I got the 'original' Christianity first everything else seemed to fit in place.

Even though I have a negative view of JW's and mainstream Christianity -- I believe that just about all Christians do good -- the best thing they do (if they do it) is teach people the Bible and encourage people to make a better life for themselves, teach people to be a "good samaritan," etc. No matter what strange doctrines they add! I saw a book at Dymocks called -- The Bible for Dummies -- I should grab myself a copy oneday -- But it's just too damn expensive at the moment! I think books like these really help people to find Christ and God. Although out-of-date it's nice that the KJV is free to the public and you can read it at hotels. Mel Gibson with his Passion movie -- helps also. There are various ways to get the gospel out there -- I think God wants us to embrace technology (which is really "applied philosophy") and not just knock on people's doors and scare the life out of people about Armageddon coming to get ya.

Sorry if this is preachy, because I know there are a lot of non-Christians on this board, but this topic opens up a lot of thoughts! :)

• onesong
    onesong

Anything and everything that does not exert it's "rightness" or control over my life! Paganism, Toltec,Native American, New Age, Wicca, Buddhism, Taoism- you can learn from them all.

• booker-t
    booker-t

This is a good post des. Because I went to several christian churches since leaving JWs. I went to Church of Christ, Pentacostal, Calvary Chapel, and Maranatha Christian Church. I must admit these churches had the same theme as JW's. We are right and everybody that don't believe in our interpretation are wrong. All they wanted was money, money, money from people which I got sick of and finally I realized I was going from one cult to another cult and I have basically cut off all churches and religions from my life. I read at home my bible and other religious books but with nobody telling me what to believe. It is total freedom that I could not ever give away to a church or religion again

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    Sorry if this is preachy, because I know there are a lot of non-Christians on this board, but this topic opens up a lot of thoughts! :)

No sweat, after years of Watchtower telling us how to think and believe and worship, it's nice to hear how many varied beliefs ex-JW's hold. I'm comfortably in the atheist category, but I'll still listen to you "apostate" christians. (Don't tell my elders though, they'll kick me out for sure!)

Dave

• glenwoodswoman
    glenwoodswoman

I did not look at ANY religons for probably 12 years.Christianity of any kind is out of the question.

If it harm none...do as ye will is part of the wiccan crede. That about sums it up for me...AS far as any groups, covens, etc...I will join none. No one will ever again tell me what to do, how to feel, what to give or not to give, what to believe. etc...you got the point

Glenwoodswoman

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit