So, any graphic designers out there?

by Breakfast at Cranberrys 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Breakfast at Cranberrys
    Breakfast at Cranberrys

I wouldn't call myself a graphic designer exactly. More like an amateur with a steady contract. I work for a newspaper as a page designer. It's a fun, unique thing. Here's my portfolio:

http://www.newspagedesigner.com/portfolios/portfolio1.php?UserID=3801

Unfortunately, it's a very restictive environment, creatively. Those of you outside America will recognize how conservative American papers are. Booorrrring. I'd like to eventually improve to the point I can start some freelance work. I've already done some print work for a couple local businesses, including a print ad campaign for a small law firm locally. I really enjoyed that.

I just feel blessed, really, that I've gotten a second chance in life and found that I really enjoy a creative outlet I never would have discovered if I'd remained a WT minion, running nonstop on the bethel treadmill. After six years working in a factory in Brooklyn, I never knew I had a creative bone in my body. I left without one useful skill in the world. So this has been really unexpected. And cool.

If you're a graphic artist/designer, I'd love to chat about the business, your experience, how I can improve, the next step, etc. I'd love to get out of newspapers and on to other avenues some day. PM me so we can talk.

• Sam the Man
    Sam the Man

Good work...I like it. There is a guy who had some experiences at Bethel who is a Graphic designer, Seven006 is his name...his posts are here http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/58060/1.ashx

Cheers.

Breakfast at Cranberrys

His work is truly amazing Sam. THAT'S the kind of work I'd like to someday produce. That's many, many moons away for me, but something to shoot for. I'm going to drop him a line now.

If anyone reading this thread wants to see some amazing stuff, check out Mr. Malone's stuff (aka, Seven006)

http://www.maloneillustration.com/

Gorgeous. What talent. I'm also enjoying his Bethel consulting trip story. "It's not like 1984. It IS 1984." Classic. Just finished part 1. On to part 2.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

I think it is absolutely great that you are working in something that is creative and fun. although it may not be where you want to be...I salute you because you are going for it!!

I also saw Mr Malones work with nudes. How could I have missed that? Truly amazing work!

Breakfast at Cranberrys

Thanks SparkPlug.

It really is amazing how much I enjoy what I'm doing now. The folks I work with can't understand why I love my job so much. They just don't understand where I've been! One of the best things about this newspaper gig is they are paying my way through school. That's right, I got this gig without a degree. Now, I'm going through the design/illo program at Old Dominion University on some else's dime. Sweet! I feel kinda bad, though, since I'm planning to improve myself as much as possible with schooling, then I'm gonna try to find a less restrictive gig. (Although restrictive is a relative term. I did waste years at bethel. You'd think I'd be used to it.)

P.S. Seven006's story is one of the best I've ever read. It starts here. I went to his topic history the find the rest of the installments. Awesome!

• gaybeat
    gaybeat

yes i do graphic design, I'd love to work for a company.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Sorry to ressurect this one,

But I do Graphic design.

I have designed newpaper ads, and countless business logos. My most well known accomplishment, on this board anyway, is the Apostate checks that were distributed worldwide At DCs last summer.

Please pm me or email me, Id love to talk

[email protected]

• forsharry
    forsharry

I'm a graphic designer, also working in the newspaper business. I'm in retail advertising design, so basically designing ads that go into the paper. What a drag. I'm actually looking to get out of the field after about 6 years in because I'm just so burned out. I don't even draw anymore I'm so tired of it. :}

wait a minute. You work for the Pilot?! I work for the Daily Press! I'm looking at your page now. :} Wow...nice stuff...I love typography! I used to work for Military Newspapers of VA, just to let you know. :}

small world!

Forsharry

• seven006
    seven006

Hey, what’s this Mr. shit? My high school male teachers were all called Mr. My name is Dave. My mommy gave me that name. It’s the only thing I still have that she gave me.

B.A.C,
    I got your e-mail. It may take a little while but I will answer it as soon as I can. It might go a little faster if you sent me another one with specific questions. I’m much better with specifics. Good for you for going to school. I hope you learn a lot and distance yourself as far away from the JW cult as you can.

Damn, I just saw I have a few PM’s. I’ll get to them when I can. It’s very time consuming doing naked art and takes a lot of concentration. It’s also a lot more interesting then playing on exJW discussion boards.

BTW, I am a professional illustrator and digital fine artist, not a graphic designer. They are two different things.

Take care all,

Dave

• Severus
    Severus

Purchase the Graphics Artist Guild Handbook, Pricing and Ethical Guidlines published by the Graphics Artist Guild, Inc.

It is all you need to know about the US industry with some international guidelines.

http://www.graphicartistsguild.org/pegs/index.php

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit