What one sentence could you say to a JW that would stick with them?

by AlmostAtheist 68 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

You've probably heard sentences that stuck with you. Quotes, one-liners. You hear them and they make so much sense or touch you so personally at the time that they become part of you. When I was first coming out of the bOrg, I read (on this board) "I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question." Powerful. I couldn't forget it if I wanted to.

Once a JW (perhaps a friend from your past) realizes you've "turned apostate", they are going to run away with their hands over their ears yelling "blah blah blah", so you don't have time for a nice, protracted discussion of the UN/NGO scandal. And whatever you say, it has to be more on the lines of planting a seed rather than presenting some evidence.

So I put it to you, what one sentence could you say to a JW that would gnaw at them after they left?

Dave

• truthspokesman
    truthspokesman

I've had JW's at my door frequently, until 2 years ago. After I said "Go score your paradise hours somewhere else", they've stopped ringing.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

"It kinda sucks knowing that God is going to kill me any time now."

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

Hi! Not a sentence really, but a question."Can you prove, from the Bible, that Jesus chose the Bible Students to be his Faithful and Discreet Slave in 1919?" There's so much silliness in that question it will keep them "researching" for days! They'll have to figure out the wacko 1914 "chronology", the identity of the faithful and discreet slave (incuding who the Bible Students thought the FDS was back in 1919) and how they deduce that Jesus made some sort of "inspection tour" of the world's religions before choosing the total nutjob Bible Students to be his spokesmen on Earth. CyrusThePersian

• FairMind
    FairMind

Does salvation come through an organization or is it through Jesus Christ?

• Gill
    Gill

Prove it! All of it! Once you've proved it to yourself, then try and prove it to me.

I said this to my mother once. Her answer? 'Don't think too much. Just believe it. That's what faith is.'

Yeah! Right! That's the problem with a JW. If a question is nagging at them subconsciously they just put it aside and swallow the WTBTS BS! So, if they actually have to prove what they're saying....they can't

So that's what I believe works.

Prove it!

• carla
    carla

I would agree with Cyrus. Their reply to that question is sometimes something like this, 'If I tell you will you believe it? why should I bother then?' or they will say 'you must agree that .... Why must I agree to believe before they even have a word out of their mouth?! They can't explain so they get very defensive. If there was one sentence that would stick or have any real impact that would be the magic bullet we all are looking for. Which doesn't exist.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

It depends on the individual JW. If it's someone that seems mostly impressed about Bible prophecy I fill them in that Jerusalem was never destroyed in 607 but 587, and to go to the library and check it out. If its one of those witness "conspiracy theory" types who's all gung ho about the conditions of the world getting worse and the nations turning on religion I quickly just mention that the Watchtower was affiliated with the UN for over ten years, and to check it out on the official UN website. If its a reasonable (usually born in) JW that's sitting on the fence bring up the insane blood policy that has killed so many of the years, and that evolution is a fact whether they like it or not and to do some research over at the Talk Origins website.

GBL

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I would say that it ironic that so called "apostates" or "opposers" know more about the history of the WTS than the average JW; moreover they know what JWs taught around the time Jesus allegedly chose them in 1919; things the WTS could consider apostate and since tobacco use wasn't forbidden and many JWs smoked back then I guess Jesus or Jehovah didn't consider that unclean back then.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

"Jesus sought out apostates to follow him. (John 9:34, 35)"

AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit