If WT shuning practices were removed, what would be the result?

by hubert 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

I would be robbed of one more reason to feel like a spiritual elitest.

It's comforting to know that 'spiritual clarity' will prevail.

• ackack
    ackack

This question is a bit like asking, "What if men got pregnant?"

The question has a bit of absurdity to it, because if the WT no longer shunned, it would no longer be the WT. The WT's basis for existsance is an insular society. If it wasn't insular anymore, it would be the same. :)

ackack

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek
    Maybe start allowing parent-child relations to continue despite df/da?

Yes, AlmostAtheist, I could go for that one. Two of my boys (and three grandchildren) are on "the other side" and we could then begin to pick up the pieces. But I won't hold my breath.

Fats

• greendawn
    greendawn

The GB have two powerful methods to keep their members obedient in line and suitable for their purposes. One is the long term fear of losing eternal life and the other is the short term fear of losing family and friends by being expelled. If the latter is removed no one really cares about losses in the distant future and most will leave and freely criticise the FDS. It's all about control over the R&F.

• hubert
    hubert
    they need the full shunning to keep people in. <sigh>

I think you're right, this is the key to holding it all together. I don't think they could ease up on this practice, for fear of losing thousands of faders.

After all, they need their money, you know.

Hubert

• kiddotan
    kiddotan

and some of us would have to speak to our in-laws

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

If that happened it would rob some of my former conditional friends of one of their main pleasures in life, ignoring me when they see me.

It isn't going to happen though

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

If that happened it would rob some of my former conditional friends of one of their main pleasures in life, ignoring me when they see me.

It isn't going to happen though

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit