If WT shuning practices were removed, what would be the result?

by hubert 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hubert
    hubert

Imagine if the WT in Brookline decided it was "scriptually incorrect" to shun ex-j.w.'s FOR ANY REASON, what do you think would happen if they stopped the shunning practice? I was never a j.w., so I'll leave it up to the experienced people here to conclude.

Hubert

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

It would be an improvement - but not stop the WTBTS from being cultic

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

There would be a mass exodus. The faders would "come out of the closet", knowing there would be no consequences of cutoff from relatives and friends. With no more fear of repercussion (other than a formal and painless disfellowshipment), current members would say and do things that today would be unthinkable.

It'll never happen! (Fats 3:16)

Fats

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute
    There would be a mass exodus. The faders would "come out of the closet", knowing there would be no consequences of cutoff from relatives and friends.

haha i hear that! i'd be all over that bitch... we'd all have our pics posted up on here... it'd be great!

bethel

• hubert
    hubert
    There would be a mass exodus.

This is what I'm thinking, too. I wonder how big it would be? 30, 40, 50 percent?

Based on what goes on in this forum, I think it could be pretty high.

Hubert

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee
    what would be the result

The same thing that happened the last time they said JW could talk to those who were DFed.

People would begin to find out their truth ™ isn't the truth ™

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I agree with Fatfreek, it will never happen.

It's all about rewards and punishments in JW-land. Shunning has become one of the most essential characteristics of JWism, they'd sooner declare the Trinity scriptural than do away with shunning.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

They've been whittling away at the blood doctrine for awhile now. I wonder if something similar could happen with shunning? Maybe start allowing parent-child relations to continue despite df/da?

Honestly, probably not. I lean toward the thinking of FF and Dan, they need the full shunning to keep people in. <sigh>

D@mn religion.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

if it ever happened, there would be a great thrashing of the chaff floor and a separating of the wheat and the chaff, as many people began associating with their skeptic ex-jw family and friends again. a great falling away of the lukewarmest. a cleansing with the blood of silent lambs.

and then, after the dust had settled, there on the horizon framed by the rising sun, would be a resolute and grim group of people staring back at the world. this would be the witnessing of a new religion. from the tadpole of cult to the trepid frog of religion, so would the evolution of the days of jehovah's witnesses go. like the others, on into the future as a regular old religion, unencumbered by the changing world. like all the other religions of status quo, conservative, anthropocentric, bright & shiny people.

TS

• carla
    carla

Maybe half of you wouldn't be here?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit