Does anyone know of a good church I could go to?

by Andrea Wideman 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Ianone
    Ianone

Why Churchianity is Not Christian - http://www.discipleship.net/dc/churchianity.htm

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I went to an Evangelical Lutheran church for a little while after I left JW's, it wasn't bad. It's a very liberal cousin to Catholicism, about as non-fundy as you're gonna find outside of Unitarians.

To Dave: I don't know about the Vineyard man. Think World Harvest light.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    To Dave: I don't know about the Vineyard man. Think World Harvest light.

But they SAID they were different. They TOLD me!

Ok, ok, you guys talked me out of it. I won't go.

(Maybe an atheist shouldn't chime in with church referrals?)

Dave

• chrissy
    chrissy

i lived in southern maryland for a year. also, i use to hang out with the exjw DC meet-up crew if you know anyone in that circle? DC is a decent place but i won't be living in southern maryland anytime again. sucked.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I attend my local Unitarian Universalist church. As you observed, they don't "focus" on God or Jesus. Rather, the focus is on common teachings from many faiths which help people to lead happier lives, and to help others do the same. The minister regularly refers to teachings of Jesus, but also other humanitarian teachers from other belief systems such as Judaism, Moslem, Buddhism, Hinduism, Paganism, Humanism, Rationalism, etc , and also writers from the secular world, such as Ghandi, Thoreau, Muir, and many others. Coming from the Kingdom Hall where every meeting followed the same format, I find this extremely refreshing. It is interesting to see people I know to be Christians, Pagans, Jews, etc, as well as heterosexual, gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered, all worshipping together and treating each other as friends.

• Navigator
    Navigator

finding my way

You are mistaken if you think the Church of Christ is Non-Denominational. It is one of the larger denominations of "orthodox" christianity. It is bible based and one of the more fundamental groups around. It comes out of the same roots as the Disciples of Christ (Christian Churches). The Christian Churches are much more liberal, however. The Churches of Christ typically don't have instrumental music or organized missionary societies. It might be a good stopping place for someone just coming out of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    finding my way

You are mistaken if you think the Church of Christ is Non-Denominational. It is one of the larger denominations of "orthodox" christianity. It is bible based and one of the more fundamental groups around. It comes out of the same roots as the Disciples of Christ (Christian Churches). The Christian Churches are much more liberal, however. The Churches of Christ typically don't have instrumental music or organized missionary societies. It might be a good stopping place for someone just coming out of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Navigator, I think the church she mentions is an autonomous church. (See the weblink she provided.) Perhaps you're confusing her church with the LDS? Yes, they are a fundamental group, but they are a different church with a different site: www.lds.org Andi

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I found a Bible Church.

What I did was write up a list of questions that I had, and I sent them around to all the local congregations and cults. It was a dual purpose effort. First I was genuinely curious about the churches in the area. Secondly, I got responses from other cults that were remarkeably similar to the jw. It helped lance the misconception that the jw doctrine is so unique that we simply have to ask, "where else could we go?!".

There are alot of places that teach the same stuff! Ironically most of them are legalistic and cultish also!

CYP

• acadian
    acadian

Hello,

I go to the "Back Yard Church" that's were I go through my back door and I'm at church.

One thing I've noticed reading the differant posts, is that the majority of posters seem to be still searching for the truth.

Before becomming a JW of 20 yrs (which I'm not now), I researched differant beliefs/faiths and churches, and then became a JW.

Well I'm not a JW anymore, so what do I do?

That depends on your core beliefs, my core beliefs are based on what Jesus taught (but I'm not Christian), so I reexamined those teachings and have come to this conculsion, the churches don't have the truth and no organized religion on earth does either.

Just like Jesus said (paraphrased) those worshipping God won't worship in a temple or mountain, (any one p articular place) but will worship in spirit and truth, that's where the back yard comes in, or any other place for that matter.

I do have like minded friends who I followship with, and so should you!

So examine your core beliefs, and make your discisions based on that.

And if you have the need/desire to sing your heart out with a group then find one and do it.

Be Happy!

Acadian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit