Does anyone know of a good church I could go to?

by Andrea Wideman 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Joel Wideman
    Joel Wideman

So, it isn't that you want a church, you want a singing group. Got it. ;)

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I would like to have a church to go to on Christmas this year. The first Christmas I am celebrating in 11 yrs and our kids first one that they will remember. I want them to feel the happiness that comes from a beautiful service and also the joy of singing praise to God. I love to sing especially in a large group of people. I suspect that part of why I want to find a church is so when I get the urge to praise God in song I don't seem like a crazy person.

Andrea,

If you're just looking for a Christmas service that's beautiful to attend, then I recommend a Catholic Christmas Eve midnight/candlelight mass. Although I'm not Catholic, there is a beauty and reverance about a Christmas Mass that is unequaled in any other church I've attended. I love it!

Andi

• jgnat
    jgnat

There are usually a few churches in town who go all out for Christmas. Here in Edmonton we have the Singing Christmas Tree. If you only plan on attending a few times a year, look for the ads in your community leading up to Christmas.

• Andrea Wideman
    Andrea Wideman

After leaving the Catholics where the attitude is that you go to hell if you miss mass and the JW's where if you miss a meeting you get interrogated by the other JW's. I am a little anxious about any long term plans. Right now I am thinking Christmas but in the back of my mind I am also looking for a permanent safe haven where I can worship God with love and joy in my heart. Not fear of retribution.
    As for Joel's suggestion about finding a choir to join around here the only one's available are for men. Plus I want to enjoy the whole service experience the singing and the praying. I want to introduce my kids to a healthier way of worshipping God. I do understand Joel's point about not needing a church and if I can't find one that I feel truly happing going to then I just won't go. What would have been the point in my leaving both the Catholics and the JW's if I am just going to enslave myself to another unhappy organized religious experience. I would rather be free and pray to God and Jesus without a church than to ever sit and listen to someone preaching hate, bigotry, or self righteousness again.
    Andrea

• Andrea Wideman
    Andrea Wideman

I would like to thank everyone that replied to my post.
    Andrea

• Carmel
    Carmel

...or you could clelbrate with the Jews, Muslims, Christrians, Baha'is et al! Get a taste of all of them and see which are more in tune with your needs.

Trust me, they will all challenge you, some will mesmerize you, only a few will edify your needs socially, spiritually and intellectually.

carmel

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    You might consider Unitarian. It's always an "easy" place to start for those that are gun

First stop post cult exit,many cult recovery therapist agree.Your less likely to get dogma shoved down your throat.You can always go off and get "saved" when your strength returns.Danny

• vitty
    vitty

Id love to go to a church, but am really scared about getting involved. Id hate that stuff of inquiry if I turned up. And if I didnt go for a few weeks,

Id love to be a ill go if i feel the need, is that wrong ?

I really want to go around xmas

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

I'm a fan of the Unitarians. But perhaps you should pick 6 faiths and attend one each Sunday or 2 a month or something. Since escaping a closed minded cult maybe expanding your idea of God would be a good start. After your 1st round of 6 religions....eliminate 3 and go for a 2nd round at each three. You might just be surprised at the ideas you grab onto. I explored a lot of religions when I left the WTBS...all the mainline ones except for the Jewish faith and Islam. I learned alot.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I attended a moderate Evangelical church in Paris for several years after I left the JWs; then a more theologically pluralistic Reformed church; then nothing.

I think it was a very helpful experience to me: I too needed to share my faith with other believers and to get a broader view of actual Christianity, and I met a lot of very nice people in both places. I don't regret it for a moment although our ways did eventually part.

However I would be very cautious about involving children, especially if there is some parental difference of views about it

Btw, I really stopped attending church when my daughter was about to be born (some 9 years ago). I had been asked to help with the local Sunday School. After attending the first preparation meeting of teachers, I suddenly realised that I wouldn't wish my child to receive any kind of confessional teaching (even though it was a pretty liberal Church, a good thing in my book). So there was no point in teaching Sunday School anymore.

(About AA's suggestion: the "Vineyard" churches I heard of in France were far from moderate -- hardcore Evangelical and charismatic if I remember correctly. Perhaps the American ones are different but I'm not sure. I just checked their website and their creed on http://www.vineyardusa.org/upload/Statement%20of%20Faith.pdf ).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit