Thanksgiving is it..............................

by defd 97 Replies latest jw friends

• r51785
    r51785

In the United States Thanksgiving is celebrated due to a presidential proclamation made by Abraham Lincoln in 1863:

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequalled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle, or the ship; the axe had enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom.

No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to his tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

Abraham Lincoln

Any Christian citizen of the United States who fails to celebrate Thanksgiving is therefore in rebellion against Jehovah's arrangements as expressed in Romans 13:

Let every person be subordinate to the higher authorities, for there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been established by God. Therefore, whoever resists authority opposes what God has appointed, and those who oppose it will bring judgment upon themselves.

• banished1
    banished1

This was a topic from yesterday that intrigued me. I think it is interesting that Dfed struggles with the grey area issues. Faithful men of old did the same.
    Just a few come to mind.
    Jacob loved his daughter Dinah, but when she had relations with Schechem and he wanted to marry her. I'm sure he struggled with his feelings. He sat with Schechem and his father and they talked of an alliance.
    But before Jacob was able to deal with it as a man of God, his hot headed sons took matters into their own hands and slew all the males of the tribes and took the wives and children and goods.
    What would Jacob have done do you think if his sons had not gotten involved?????

Another faithful person, Joseph wondered about Mary when she told him she was pregnant by holy spirit.
    In his heart, he decided NOT TO GO TO THE ELDERS FOR BECAUSE OF BEING ENGAGED SHE WOULD SURELY BE DISGRACED AND DISFELLOWSHIPPED. It says this spiritual man decided to divorce her secretly, so she would appear as an unmarried woman and the law would provide she should marry the man who impregnated her.

When Darius decreed a 30 day prohibition against praying to another God, Daniel had to think what he should do? He could have prayed silently in his heart on his bed before sleep, but chose to carry on as usual.

What about David and the showbread? He and his men were dying from hunger and exhaustion. He had to use his head what to do, not based on the teachings, but his own heart and knowledge of God's personality and the principle behind things.

These men used their hearts and minds and pondered what to do when no one could tell them what to do.

Another man, Eli, might not wanted to appear harsh to his sons. He may have been very lenient in teaching his sons and the result was that his sons did not learn the principles behind the worship to God and so abused their priestly privilege and disrespected God.

There are many many other examples of individuals who used their trained consciences to make decisions.
    Today is the same. We need to use our own hearts and minds to decide how we will live our lives when there are those times when there is no direct scripture to tell us what to do.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Well said Banished1

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

I think that is part of Def'd's problem. No offense DF. But as Dub's we are told "use your conscience" but never really are allowed to. So while something may be said from the stage is a conscience matter....the unwritten rules / laws of the Congo dictate your behavior. Thus if Dub's are SPECIFICALLY told what to do in each and every instance....they are like lost sheep. They've never made their own decisions for the most part, so haven't developed that part of their personality. Every decision a Dub makes is first and foremost "What would the elders say?" "What would Jehoba want?" "What would other Dub's think if did that?" "What would worldly people think?" Hence why "Jehovah's people" are a miserable lot. They never think for themselves, nor try to make themselves happy first. What a miserable existence. I'm glad I'm out!

• proplog2
    proplog2

Thanksgiving is a stupid holiday. November is not a good time for a fall holiday. It is too close to the winter solstice which is a traditional celebration. One of the reasons Halloween keeps growing in popularity is because it is like Octoberfest. Everything is dying. The melancholy of fall needs a lively dance of death.

There are four seasons - there ought to be 4 holidays.

Easter - Spring

All countries have a summer holiday.

Octoberfest/Halloween

Christmas/Saturnalia

Get rid of Thanksgiving - You can get turkey all year.

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Jaded bastard! LOL

Sorry I like having a 4 day holiday thank you very much!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I like my Canadian October Thanksgiving, and I think that dying leaves are very pretty. I collect them in the fall to make a pretty arrangement on the table with my gourds.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I like the Thanksgiving holiday and I think many JWs do. If one just has Turkey dinner and even have family over but not make too big a deal about it, there will be no problem from the WTBTS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit