The story of my life (part 12- My first committee)

by onacruse 13 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

I title this part this way because I was, over the course of the next couple of years, involved with so many committees (one way or another) that, even though I wasn't an elder, I almost felt like one...as subsequent parts will show.

In any case, it was inevitable that my smoking would be found out. To his credit, the brother that approached me did as the Bible says he should do: he approached me privately, inviting me to voluntarily broach my error with an elder. Of course, as much as I respected, and still have no reason to disrespect, this friend, there was the clearly implicit threat that "if you don't, I will have to."

So, I did. After a book study, I told the conductor that I'd been using tobacco, and things went from there. Interesting how things played out.

One of the first things that happened was that the (physical) brother of an elder (an elder about whom you will soon know much more), who, as being part of the "inner circle," knew straightaway that what I was "up for," approached me privately and said: "Jesus Christ, Craig, if you wanna have a smoke, why don't you just grab a cigar and go smoke it out in the grass field, like I do? Why make such a stink about this?" (That's pretty much a quote). Well, that was an interesting suggestion!

But the real issue with the elders was my "apostate thinking." The first meeting started off with my smoking, and I laid out my objections, based on the Biblical Greek, and within minutes the cross-examination turned to my opinion of the WTS. My smoking became almost a non-issue: it was that I disagreed with what the FDS had dictated that became the focus of every question thereafter.

Another interesting point: I was the only one at those meetings who ever bothered to crack the back of his Bible. As we went through, point by point, every issue about the end-times, and the supposed authority of the WTS, those brothers left their Bibles untouched on the tabletop. They didn't give a howling hoot about what the Bible said, in the context of our discussions; all they cared about was my opinion of the WTS.

If I did anything honorable in that confrontation, it was simply that I stood my ground.

After a few such meetings, the inevitable decision was made to DF me. I fully anticipated that decision, and actually, in a sad way, I welcomed it. I was finally (or so I thought) finding the strength to stand on my own two feet and rid myself of this pestiferous malign upon my soul, and drop the hypocrisy; finally become a MAN.

The afternoon before the meeting, when my DFing was to be announced, one of the committee elders came over to our house and pled, begged, and cried with me, wishing that somehow I would see my way clear to just let it all go, and stay with God's Organization. I gave him a genuine hug, and said that I just couldn't do that; my mind was made up.

I didn't go to that meeting, though I watched the clock and knew, as per WTS Service Meeting SOP, when the "announcement" was made; I felt like a huge load had been lifted off my shoulders.

My wife came home, with tears in her eyes, and we hugged each other.

I was so sad.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Thank you for continuing to share your story. It's like a good book that I can't put down!
    You've been through a lot.
    I'm curious to know how your wife responded to your being disfellowshipped. I guess you'll tell us more in time. You mention that she went to the meeting that night. I don't quite understand that mentality. Is it for closure? For martyrdom? My Mom insisted on being there when my DA announcement was made, like it would prove how strong she was for Jehovah. I just don't get it.
    tall penguin

• onacruse
    onacruse

tall "specimen of an ornithology experiment" (LOL) :

I'm curious to know how your wife responded to your being disfellowshipped.

She was disappointed, of course, but surprisingly (to me) rather resigned. There were things going on of which I was totally unaware (the cuckolded husband) which I must count as one of the most grievous stabs that I have ever experienced, but which subsequently "explained" to me how she could seem to be so remote from what I was experiencing.

You mention that she went to the meeting that night. I don't quite understand that mentality. Is it for closure? For martyrdom?

There were other reasons, I think. The elder that studied with her was subsequently "honored" by an article in the Awake! magazine...those that studied with my folks, those that studied with her, those that studied with my next wife--it's a big world in the WTS, and yet such a small world.

So, in answer to your question, I would, for lack of other concrete information, have to attribute her behavior to a combination of loyalty to the WTS and the potential of having a "closer" relationship with a man who had a lot more money than did I, and who was a respected elder.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

onacuse,
    how did the elder get "honored" with an Awake article? Was it like an elder-of-the-year award? :)
    I'm looking forward to the next installment in your epic saga. I imagine from some of your comments here that there is much more to tell.
    tp

• alw
    alw

Thanks for the next instalment - really enjoying or should I say digesting your story - alw

• TheListener
    TheListener

Thank you for sharing. It's bolstering my resolve.

You've been where I'm most likely headed.

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

You have really been thru the wringer, but I admire you and respect you for your strength and dignity thru it all! Please continue...

• minimus
    minimus

How many parts are there?

• Legolas
    Legolas

Thanks again for sharing, I am looking forward to the next part.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Craig, this is great for me, right now. I noticed the same lack of Scriptures at the meetings I have recently had with elders. I am constantly turning to Scripture after Scripture and they don't turn. When they cite a "Scripture bite" at me, I turn to it and read it aloud in context. It makes them look like asses, which I hate becase my dad is PO, but it is also the only honest way to interact with them on anything remotely like an equal level.

In anxious expectation of things to come...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit