Why have you rejected all forms of faith?

by AlmostAtheist 79 Replies latest jw friends

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

FunkyDerek, an emotion is a feeling, a feeling is an emotion. That is a circular definition and therefore a fallacious definition, a word cannot be defined by its synonym. Neither is objectively defined, all emotions and feelings are subjective and their definitions are subjective.

Even reproducible emotions (like anger, or happiness) are ultimately subjective because they rely on the one who is experiencing them to relate that experience, they cannot be assessed in a NPOV fashion in any respect.

I believe that no emotion is falsifiable, no emotion is exclusive of other emotions, and no emotion is singularly experienced. You wrote, "You're confusing the experience with the definition." I disagree. The "definition" you gave arrives from the experience. In my opinion, you are confusing a description of the experience with a definition of the experience.

But that is the difference. I am stating opinion as unproven opinion. You are stating opinion as proven fact.

AuldSoul

• Caedes
    Caedes
    To have faith and belief in a God, or to believe and have faith there is no God, is simply two sides of the same spinning concoction within the mind.

If I understand you correctly, you believe that god is everywhere and in all things?

If so I would place your belief system firmly on the god side of your spinning concoction. I see little difference between an external god or an all-encompassing one, it's still part of the god myth that I don't believe.

• doogie
    doogie

hey, dave:

Your basis for that faith is experience. You've pressed the button numerous times and it always caused things to happen that you expected. If sometimes you pressed the button and nothing happened at all, you'd switch from faith to hope. If sometimes the lights came on, sometimes the TV came on, sometimes your mother called... you might conclude that all those things would've happened anyway and your pushing the button was just a coincidence.

right, it is my experience with TVs that create my expectations. but i see that as being of equal weight to anyone's evidence for their faith (religious or not)...your experiences.

i think that your expectations in life are either based on subjective experiences (like a history of pressing POWER buttons and TVs turning on, or maybe praying and then feeling better), or objective facts (like a schematic diagram of a TV or a clinical study showing the effects of endorphins).

so, for me (to answer your original question), with my very narrow definition of "faith" as being expectations based on subjective evidence, i don't think anyone is immune to faith. i'm sure faith can be looked at from a broader perspective, and in that case, it's a whole 'nother ballgame (go Astros!).

• Golf
    Golf

I have not changed since childhood and I don't have any plans to change. I have FAITH in my CREATOR.

In golf competition you better have faith in yourself or else it's curtains.

Golf

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Why I don't have a faith?

a. If you do historical research on religion you will find it is something that was made up by man for control over the ignorant masses.
    b. What is faith? It is believing in something that you cannot prove exists. I only believe what I can see and can test with scientific observation/experimentation.

Faith is OK for those that choose to believe and I do not try to change them to my way of thinking. So what is the big deal if others choose not to follow something based on superstitions and mythology? If you choose to believe in a Santa Claus all the more power to you but I live in reality.

Will

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    If I understand you correctly, you believe that god is everywhere and in all things?
    If so I would place your belief system firmly on the god side of your spinning concoction. I see little difference between an external god or an all-encompassing one, it's still part of the god myth that I don't believe.

Caedes,

Sorry, no, you don't understand me "correctly". I am not speaking of belief in a "god that is everywhere and in all things"; but rather no beliefs, no conceptual imagery at all, one way or the other. What is conscious-being-ness unveiled of all filters (thoughts and beliefs) of the mind?

Shift attention inward; take away all that can be taken away; look through everything that appears. What, is here now, actual and real, beneath it all?

You are correct in that if I were speaking of another "belief", it would be just more spin. If it is a belief or a concept, it's not what I am referring to. If it can be objectified, it ain't it. If it can be spoken or thought, you're missing it.

j

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I have faith in the human spirit that seeks truth no matter how pleasant or ugly. I have faith that my doctors care about me and try to help me. I have faith that my love and I will live out our lives together when things are made possible. I have faith that the medical profession will eventually find ways to extend, sustain, and improve our lives and bodies beyond 70-80 years, I have no faith that any gods or supernatural causes will have anything to do with these things, and if people are honest, like I said in another thread, they don't really believe any gods interfere either. We live our lives under the assumption that we're in control, not Zeus or Hey-Zeus from above.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I haven't rejected rational faith.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Funky, you know I dig you. Unfortunately duty called and many others picked up the ball and ran with it better than I could have. I don't think you can put emotions in the same category as say, bone density in terms of being able to test for it or say that it is "real". None of us can climb into another person's head and know, truly know why they do what they do, we have faith when a person tells us that they love us that they do, and we look for signs that they do, but we can never truly know that they do, we take it on faith.

I think there are many things in this life we take on faith as the manifestations could be interpreted in so many different ways. Or let's even say the idea of marriage, you want to talk about a leap of faith, will you love me, care for me, in sickness and health, till death do us part? I'd say going into that deal takes a huge amount of faith.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Not everything can or should be interpreted in strictly rational terms even in this age of rationalism when the heart has gone into the head.

I believe in the christian ideal and truth of the gospel even if most organised christian religions are disappointing to say the least.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit