Why have you rejected all forms of faith?

by AlmostAtheist 79 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

It seems that when a person leaves JW's, there's just no telling where he'll end up spiritually. Christian, Jew, Pagan, JamesThomasism -- I dare say every faith is represented among us.

But there are those that reject faith altogether. They are often accused of letting the Watchtower steal God from them, or throwing the baby out with the bath.

Are you one those that rejected faith altogether after your exit? If so, why?

This isn't meant to be another "why don't you believe in god" thread. This is more on a spiritual level. JamesThomas, LittleToe, and others have suggested that a person can have some form of faith without the mental gymnastics required of those that believe in the Bible's god.

So please don't explain why you don't believe in god, but explain why you have rejected religion/faith of all sorts.

Dave

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

most religions do have a god... so when not believing in (a) god(s) or other invisible entities it won't make any sense joining such a religion.

i've been interested in some "religions" that don't have/require (a) god(s) though, like some forms of buddhism, taoism, confucianism, shamanism and whatever... but in the end they are all only of philosophical nature.

so why not simply stick with philosophy instead of religion? philosophy doesn't need all the demons that you get for free when joining a religion.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I haven't lost "all forms of faith" but I also don't consider myself part of a religion. I wasn't sure if you were equating "faith" with "religion." Do I get to answer, AA?

AuldSoul

• Soledad
    Soledad

Good question

I can't say that I have rejected faith all together. Up until last year, I sometimes felt the urge to join another church or meet with a spiritual leader. I guess I was looking for some inspiration, or a desire to connect again with a religious community. I was disappointed several times, not in the people themselves but in the makeup of such said community and leadership. I concluded that God is quite easily accessible without the intervention of any organization, church or cult should I choose to believe that there is a God.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Because faith is based on unverifiable wishful thinking. It's mental masturbation and a total waste of time.

GBL

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

I rejected faith primarily because I discovered that it is the main tool of con artistry. Honest people let you try before you buy, let you examine the goods, let you even bring a friend to test things that you have no expertize.... con artist have nothing of value but are trying to CON vince you they do and they cannot stand in the light of scrutiny, they ridicule doubters and damn those who darn call their bluffs and I got to see that just about all religions use these tactics.

They want your money now and promise you entry into mythical kingdoms where gold flows from the tap and no one ever grows old and everyone has a smile plastered across their adoring faces, etc.... or they threaten you with eternal hell or eternal death if you reject their wonderful offers... yet neither destination is ever availible for examination until its TOO LATE , you must act now, while supplies are availible!

void were prohibitted.

they use many excuses for their lack of evidence. when you ask for just one bit of reality, they present you with questions to get you to buy their bull from your own insecurities and fears, not from any solid foundation approaching reality.

what I find most disturbing is the notion that a god exists who will reward me for pretending to believe in him, when I honestly don't and damn me for honestly not believing.... I had a similar experience with JWs towards the end, with this dF dA stuff... if I wanted to pretend to be just inactive, I could still talk to my JW friends and relative, but if I honestly wanted out because I could not accept their B elief S ystem, I was shunned and damned and vilified.... how could a religion of the TRUE GOD damn the honest and reward the liars?

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am so turned off by religion that I am pretty much repulsed by all of them.

I do believe in God, (I think......but am probably more of an agnostic) but I don't feel the need to share my beliefs or have a support group for it. I am more content in my life than at any time I can think of. I'm not searching for some unknown truth, or putting my trust in something that simply cannot be known.

Faith is exactly what Hebrews says it is. ".................assured expectation of things hoped for". It's not a science and cannot be proven, so I have no interest in it.

However, those who do have strong faith can be wonderful people, and I'm happy for them that they have something they enjoy. Just don't try to convert me and I will keep my mouth shut about my own beliefs.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I wasn't sure if you were equating "faith" with "religion." Do I get to answer, AA?

Hey AuldSoul,

I was looking for the why's from those that have rejected all "faith", even a personal one. However, just because I didn't ask the question doesn't mean you can't answer it! Anything you add to the conversation will be appreciated.

I'm surprised at how many "I have not rejected faith" answers there have been. That's very interesting.

Looking forward to more,

Dave

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I don't think I ever really had faith. I always believed what the available evidence compelled me to believe. I have never been capable of doing otherwise. Of course, when I was younger, the evidence available to me was filtered and heavily biased, but I could defend any of my beliefs against any arguments I had encountered. When I encountered arguments that I could not rebut, I investigated and changed my beliefs. If I had had faith, I would not have done this. My faith would have trumped any contrary evidence. After all, that's what faith does, isn't it?

I don't quite understand how someone can lose faith in one belief system, but still have faith (or find it again) in another. If you have faith, what can ever cause you to change your beliefs?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Thanks, Dave.

Do good and bad exist? Well, yes. Can I tell someone else what is good and what is bad? No. Why? Because, I cannot absolutely define good or bad. While I have a concept of it, I cannot define my concept clearly enough to impose that assessment on someone else. My knowing what I believe doesn't mean I have a right to impose that knowledge on someone else. Especially when I cannot even explain to them clearly what I know.

In my opinion, same goes for faith. And belief in God.

AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit