1914—How Is It Arrived At? (Daniel 4)

by AuldSoul 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

dorayakii, WELCOME to this thread . Those are great points you raise. In every instance where the "rule" or "principle" should apply, it is stated in the Scriptures that it should apply.

Nowhere do we find that the rule applies where there is no indication of its application. For instance, in Daniel 9 a Hebrew word is translated "weeks" but clearly refers to years. Does this mean there was nothing specifically in the text that would indicate that undersatnding? No.

Strong's has this to say regarding the Hebrew word used for these weeks:

Properly passive participle of H7650 as a denominative of H7651; literally sevened, that is, a week (specifically of years): - seven, week.

(bold and underline, mine)

Even here, when the "weeks" are actually "weeks of years" the text clearly states that. In the case of Daniel 4, nothing indicates "years of years." It simply isn't there. Again, thank you very much for your post. Excellent points.

AuldSoul

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Dorayaki:

Who was the transgressor and who gets punished? In Numbers 13:34, the transgressors pay for their crime, but in Ezekiel 4:6 the "righteous prophet" Ezekiel pays for it.

Excellent point.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Jeffro:

Shhhhhh.... you'll attract 'scholar'

He he, I`ve noticed that the only times he shows up, is in discussion about chronology. I think it`s the only thing he has any clue on (well, then again, he hasn`t that either. I should say, the only subject he is interested in).

• Dansk
    Dansk

Alleymom! AlanF! Where are you?!

• TheListener
    TheListener

Thank you AuldSoul and others. This is very informative. I will need to wrap my head around this a little better than I have.

• blondie
    blondie

My question is how did William Miller arrive at it? Any historical documentation?

What did the Second Adventists who Russell associated with use to develop their interpretation?

Blondie

(point me to some URLs)

Thanks

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Ahhhh,Blondie just my prompt here. http://www.dannyhaszard.com/cultvideos.htm The Millerites: Armageddon (History Channel) modem (low bandwidth) version

DSl/Cable (high bandwidth) version

Danny's prized link about 4 mins run.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Auld soul

I really enjoyed that.Sadly im too fick to comment on the doctrinal issues ..lol....but it serves to remind me of the ridiculous way the WTBTS crowbars the silliest of stuff to suit its own purposes.

• ackack
    ackack

Blondie: Miller got to it by virtue of the fact that many others before him had done the same thing. Not really sure how the practice arose, but there have always been number nuts looking through the Bible and attempting to make some sense of it that way. I suppose its not all that significant that someone did it for this particular time period. It was bound to happen.

ackack

• VM44
    VM44

COJ in "The Gentile Times Reconsidered" goes into the history of the Millerite Calculation. Miller was not the first one to attempt such a calculation.

Charles T. Russell was very much in love with these sort of calculations! He valued them at least as much as he valued the Bible, perhaps even higher!

--VM44

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit