Question for Freedom Lover (Mrs ITIS)

by Severus 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• Severus
    Severus

I am new here as well. But I have, as many others, followed your husband's story with much interest.

Please accept my apology if I am too forward, but I would like to hear your viewpoint of this story.

I too have an intelligent, thinking wife that is still afraid to look beyond the Organisation for hope. Yet I see her yearning for a relationship with God that she has never known in a lifetime as a Witness. When I try to share some of the fallacies of the religion with her, the programmed defences engage. But her disconnect is obvious. She loves yoga, dreads going to meetings, and introduced me to Harry Potter of all things.

What I would like to hear from you is, what opened your eyes? What drew you to your husband, and what broke your emotional tie to "the truth"?

You represent a hope to many of us who are still JWs. We stay in the religion because we love our family, but always we wish we knew how to bring them out of this trap.

Thank you so much for braving this group of refugees who seem to know more about you than they should. Frankly, my wife would kill me.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover
    What I would like to hear from you is, what opened your eyes? What drew you to your husband, and what broke your emotional tie to "the truth"?

Okay Severus, straight to the point - I like that a lot! I'm pretty straight shootin' myself......

Your questions for me are very complex and complicated. It definitly wasn't one thing that changed me. It was the crappy life I had growing up, it was the "religious high" that faded and I couldn't get back again, it was some wisdom with age, it was me being unwilling and unable to live a lie, and it came down to ITIS laying the cards on the table and making me "decide".

I am a very independent and free thinking person, yet I needed approval by someone because I didn't get it growing up. The elders gave me that for awhile when I was a golden child in the truth. That faded quickly when I wasn't able to do so much in "the truth". I saw it, but didn't want to admit it. In fact, ITIS handled me the best way possible. He left clues and I did my own research. If your wife is a researcher and a fact finder like me, simply ask her to HELP YOU understand certain prophecies, or something like that. A word of caution though, you need to do your own homework too! Don't ask about 607 stuff if you don't know your answers, that would have pissed me off! ITIS started his own info. gathering and left it laying around. I of course picked it up, and started my own researching. He didn't know this for a long time. For me, it was the B.S. of the 607 prophecy. When I realized that could be wrong then EVERY other one of the WTS/GB crap is wrong! I was shocked, heartbroken, and crushed, but also had a tremendous release. I started thinking - " what if I didn't really have to go to meetings?! what if service was all a bunch of crap?! If this was all a lie then I don't have to feel GUILT of FEAR for not doing those things!" Lightbulb moment for sure, for me. ( I still didn't share any of this with ITIS> wasn't ready to yet. so you never know what your loved ones are looking up!) I felt like I won the lottery of time. Like I all of a sudden was granted more hours in my day for things I've always wanted to do. If she is independent minded she will resent you shoveling info. down her throat about how WRONG the WTS is, especially if she has the emotional connection. Let her find it, in her own way. Patience, my friend!! Thank god, someone was patient with me! Another word of caution - I really resisted ITIS "discoveries" at first because I really thought they were just excuses to not have to do certain things like meetings, service, spend time with me, etc. He had a habit of that pattern in the past, so I figured it was just a way to validate his actions and have a valid excuse now. More "throwing the burden on me."

So.......spend time with you wife, tell her you love her, buy her flowers, tell her you'll be there for her, throw love on her all the time! This will really go far in the long run.

It is such a HUGE deal to walk away from everything. It's probably the scariest thing I've ever done so far in my life. I've had a pretty crappy life, so hard stuff has been the name of the game for me. I have learned the lesson though, that some of the greatest challenges and most painful moments in my life have brought me the most clarity down the road. I have faith in that. I can help you with any 607 prophecy stuff you need. I know more about Neo-Babylonian kings and there rules than I ever thought I would! Like some others, I did all my initial research in the WT publications so as not to "cloud my mind with apostate ideas." So if your wife will respond better to the bible and just WT stuff then I can help you tremendously!

I will try to get more indepth as to my path of finding my way out of this in the future. Right now I have some sick kids to get better! Feel free to PM me anytime.

best to you, Freedomlover

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

All I can say is................

Freedom Lover (Mrs. ITIS) just has to be a wonderful woman.

I think it is great that she is willing to help Severus in his "seed planting" with his wife.

Severus...... my best wishes for you and your Mrs. May you be a fortunate as ITIS and FL.

HappyDad

• vitty
    vitty

Its really nice to "hear " you speak FL. After ITIS talked about you for so long, you seem very grounded and sensible and I agree with your advice, on showing love to his wife, thats what I said to ITIS when he was so worried about telling you !!!!!!!

• Gill
    Gill

It was the 'showing of love' by my husband that actually made me see properly that there was NO love in the bOrg. I found I didn't want to go somewhere that was all artificial and pretence, I just wanted to stay with him. He always helped me to go to the meetings and take the children. Then one day, it all clicked. The bOrg was a sham religion out for money and preaching lies. I was leaving 'love' at home for five hours a week. What the Hell! I left pretty sharpish. But, it took my head a long time to get around what I had been indoctrinated with.

Freedomlover is right, that you have to do the loving and happy bit with your wife. And also, it can't be pretend, it has to be real. It may take a while, do your research, make all the time you can spent with her as good and happy as possible and she'll wake up, in time.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

((Severus))

You too, welcome to the board.

II hope you will succeed getting your wife out as well....

Branda

• IT Support
    IT Support

Severus,

This is the first part of a series written by one of the posters here. He writes how he helped his family exit the organisation. You may find it helpful.

MY EXIT FROM JEHOVAH’S WITNESSES

• TD
    TD

Greetings Freedomlover,

I of course picked it up, and started my own researching. He didn't know this for a long time. For me, it was the B.S. of the 607 prophecy. When I realized that could be wrong then EVERY other one of the WTS/GB crap is wrong!

Was there a definite point in your journey when you would have considered reading a critical treatment of JW belief? (e.g. The Gentile Times Reconsidered, The Sign Of The Last Days - When?) Or do you think this is something that JW's are only willing/able to do after they're out?

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Hang in there, Severus.

And Freedom Lover, it's so nice to meet you!

Jankyn

• freedomlover
    freedomlover
    Was there a definite point in your journey when you would have considered reading a critical treatment of JW belief? (e.g. The Gentile Times Reconsidered, The Sign Of The Last Days - When?) Or do you think this is something that JW's are only willing/able to do after they're out?

Well for me I needed to stay within the Society's publications because I felt like I was betraying GOD if I looked elsewhere. I DID feel comfortable looking through Encyclopedia's and history books though. That was the info. that ITIS had laying around. It was "safe" info. I guess, in my mind at least. I didn't start reading "apostate books" until I had proven the 607 thing as false in my own head. Then I started with the book Toxic Faith. It seemed safe to me. No witness bashing in there, just the patterns of toxic faiths. I read CoC and gentile times later. Now I'm on Christian Freedom.

Hope this may help. freedomlover

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit