Disfellowshipping/ The Biggest Thing to Make You Believe We Had The Truth?

by prophecor 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• prophecor
    prophecor

I'm no Watchtower apologist, but when I look back on it all, one of the biggest things that made me believe we had the truth was the shear fact that there was a zero tollerance for any and all conduct unbecoming of a Christian: fornication, adultery, yada yada yada, many of the crimes the church with thier throngs of adhereants were allowed to get away with were unthinkable in the Kingdom Hall.

Am I missing something?

Doing that which has been done to many of us is ,afterall, scriptural. Other than the Catholic Church, is there any other religion who punishes or disciplines their constituents for crimes un-becoming a Christian?

• skinnyboy
    skinnyboy

if im not mistaken, most religions have the confession, take three hail marys and your conscience is clean, now go my son....

As far as im aware, its only the cults (yes, including the bOrg) that demand absolute adherance (if you dont get caught/spill ya guts) and eject you if you as much as look the wrong way.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420
    Doing that which has been done to many of us is ,afterall, scriptural. Other than the Catholic Church, is there any other religion who punishes or disciplines their constituents for crimes un-becoming a Christian?

Mennonite and Amish communities have disfellowshipping and shunnings. Some ultra-orthodox Jewish congregations, for example, go so far as to hold funerals for former members who decide to marry outside the religion. And in some extremist Islamic groups around the world, apostasy is punishable by death.

Not that it makes it any better that others do it. It just means one more thing we were lied to about. JW's aren't so special.

lisa

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Well, it's not so much a zero-tolerance policy. There is removal from privileges, such as carrying microphones, handling stage duties, or pioneering. There is marking. There are methods of reproof. None of this is decided by the congregation but by men behind closed doors and then usually an embarrassing "local needs" talk.

Probably half the Christians I know are non-denom and forgive just about anything, unless it is offense number 78.

• alreadygone
    alreadygone

I attended a Church of Christ church once. It was very similar to a Sunday meeting at the KH. After the service, I was talking to a few people and we discussed disfellowshipping/shunning. They admitted that their church also does this as it is scriptural. They did explain that it is used as a very last resort. It isn't as common as the JW's.

• gumby
    gumby

Is it scriptural to disfellowship someone who disagrees with a doctrine that isn't scriptural?

Is it scriptural to shun somebody who smokes or celebrates birthdays? Is it scriptual to shun someone who doesn't want to be a Jehovah's Witness anymore? Someone who joins the Army or attends another church?

Let's remember the witnesses have disfellowshippping rules that go WELL beyond the scriptures.

And yes.....church pastors and church elders do in fact offer reproof to those who fit the situation mentioned in 1st Cor.5:9-11. This situation was an extreemly rare situation you don't see in churches......a man sleeping with his step-mom and the congregation applauding him.

Let's also not forget the thousands of disfellowshippings that have occured with the witnesses over "old doctrine" that now is not a disfellowshipping offence......such as alternative service rather than going to war.

Gumby

• prophecor
    prophecor
    Is it scriptural to disfellowship someone who disagrees with a doctrine that isn't scriptural?

Let's remember the witnesses have disfellowshippping rules that go WELL beyond the scriptures.

And yes.....church pastors and church elders do in fact offer reproof to those who fit the situation mentioned in 1st Cor.5:9-11. This situation was an extreemly rare situation you don't see in churches......a man sleeping with his step-mom and the congregation applauding him.

Let's also not forget the thousands of disfellowshippings that have occured ;with the witnesses ;over "old doctrine" that now is not a disfellowshipping offence......such as alternative service rather than going to war.

Gumby

Good Answer You Gumbahstard You.

Damn it's good to see you back home!!!

• prophecor
    prophecor
    Well, it's not so much a zero-tolerance policy. There is removal from privileges, such as carrying microphones, handling stage duties, or pioneering. There is marking. There are methods of reproof. None of this is decided by the congregation but by men behind closed doors and then usually an embarrassing "local needs" talk.

Excellent observation, there, Cygnus. I always look at things from such a black and white viewpoint. There's a lotta' grey in all that they do there, I've been so outta' da loop for years.

• prophecor
    prophecor
    Mennonite and Amish communities have disfellowshipping and shunnings. Some ultra-orthodox Jewish congregations, for example, go so far as to hold funerals for former members who decide to marry outside the religion.

Thanks, too, for your input Lisa. Not only was I ignorant as to my own religion, but the religions of many others as well.

• gumby
    gumby

That's why I like Prophecor so much........he's humble and complimetary

I still think I have a nicer butt than him though

Gumby ( of the ' it's nice to be back ' class)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit