Would love some input if you feel like it.

by pc 15 Replies latest jw friends

• pc
    pc

My husband and I are involved with a group of people and we have what we refer to as a "small group". We get together have wine and cheese and read the bible or discuss things that we might need help with. It is a very cool group of people no over the top christians. This week it is our turn to come up with a discussion topic.

We wanted to get into a discussion about if you are living a so called "christian" life what about all the grey areas. Example... Looking for loop holes for your taxes, or do you teach your kids to do something on the sports field when the ref isn't looking, or someone charges you the wrong price for something do you say something..

It probably sounds silly to everyone, but if you have any 2cents to put in I would appreciate it. If you have any scriptures that would apply that would also be great.

thanks

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

What you are talking about is integrity.If you don't have integrity then you are not a real christian.The examples you gave are all really good and for sure it's a good subject to discuss in achristian group.MT 7:12

Goldminer

• Caedes
    Caedes

I am quite sure there are grey areas in issues of christian morality, but all of the examples quoted seemed pretty clear cut. Cheating on your tax returns, it might be legal but it is still morally reprehensible. Cheating at sports is still cheating wether it's a friendly game or a professional one. If you are undercharged by someone you should really own up especially if it is someones local business that has done it.

Hey what do I know though, I'm not a christian

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

An interesting question might be if your group thinks integrity is limited to christians. Its funny how many people think that it is.

Sherry

• pc
    pc

Thanks Sherry I like that!

Caedes Thanks, I guess I didn't explain myself enough. My examples were to simplistic. I was really asking for an area a person would think "well maybe I should or maybe I should'nt".. Hope that makes more sense. Also I love the christian part

Goldminer Integrity is definetly the correct term Thanks..

• Caedes
    Caedes

An interesting question might be if your group thinks integrity is limited to christians. Its funny how many people think that it is.

Sherry

hence my tongue in cheek,

Hey what do I know though; I'm not a christian

Integrity and a strong sense of morality as well as respect for others is what it's all about.

• Joel Wideman
    Joel Wideman

Taking advantage of tax loopholes isn't the same as lying about what you owe. Paying more taxes than you legally owe isn't honest, it's foolish. Besides which, your taxes go to causes you do not support or are even morally opposed to, as well as ones you favor.

• Caedes
    Caedes

What the taxes are used for is utterly beside the point in a democratic country. I would agree that it would be foolish to pay more tax than you should but there is a big difference between claiming all your allowances and taking advantage of tax loopholes. If you (not you personally) are claiming to stick to christian moral principles then do so, if you aren't prepared to live by those standards then don't make the claim.

As the pub landlord might say "come on, piss or get off the pot"

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956
    Hey what do I know though; I'm not a christian

Neither am I, hence the question! Mine is based on this one, do what you will and it harms none. None is a bit more narrow than the golden rule because it includes yourself as well as your neighbor.

Sherry

• Caedes
    Caedes

I think integrity is not limited to christians, but is a natural human characteristic resulting from our evolving as a social animal. I.e there is more to be gained through cooperation than conflict for the majority of the group. I shall stop here before I get any further off-topic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit