Hyperlinking to a specific post in a thread

by besty 9 Replies latest forum suggestions

• besty
    besty

If you want to post a link to a specific post its quite easy (thanks jeffro for making this obvious for me)

Every thread has a general URL which will take you to the top of Page 1 for that thread eg

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/266550/1/Atheists-what-is-the-best-argument-FOR-God#.Uos8AUpdU4Q

The key to linking to a specific post is to identify that post number and replace it over the top of the last bit of the thread URL after the #

eg http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/266550/2/Atheists-what-is-the-best-argument-FOR-God#4886611

Note that you also have to change the page number to the page matching the post you are linking to.

Identifying the post number is easy - mouseover the 'edit post' icon and look for the post number at the bottom of your browser window - it will reveal the URL including the post number - naturally you wont be able to edit someone elses post so dont bother clicking it unless you like getting error messages.

Hope that helps!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Hey thanks - I'll try that ... if I don't forget by the time I want to do it and can't find the thread that tells me how ... but anyway, thanks

• KateWild
    KateWild

Thanks Besty,

That was a good lesson in technical posting links. Very easy to grasp. - Kate xx

• KateWild
    KateWild

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/266516/5/Dawkins-Chapter-2-Dogs-Cows-and-Cabbages#4886779

This is me practicing. Here is a link to my post where I think cofty is being too extreme in his views Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

Thanks Besty, I have been wanting to find a way to do this.

You can make it tidier by highlighting a few words, clicking the chain button and pasting your link into the top box.

For example here is some shameless self-promotion...

• besty
    besty

haha - a new way of dissing people on JWN is born

quote their own words back to them with the exact link, and change the hyperlink text to better reflect your agenda - genius....

• KateWild
    KateWild

Sorry you have lost me. How do you get it to have text in it? Again, but slow please Kate xx

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Kate. I'm assuming you followed Besty's OP.

The next step is to copy (Ctrl+C) the new hyperlink you have created.

Now highlight a few words in your post.

Click on the button in the toolbar above that has a picture of a chain. It's 15 along from the left in the middle row. It won't light up until you highlight text.

Now paste (Ctrl+V) in the top field of the dialogue box that will pop up. It's got a label "Link URL" and the cursor will already be in it.

Click the Insert button and you are done.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Cool, nice trick. Thanks for sharing!

• Simon
    Simon

Thanks for the explanation - I'll try and make that easier in future.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit