San Francisco Anyone?

by Tina 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

Hi Tina:

Just got back from San Francisco three weeks ago, so my memory's pretty fresh.

Observations:

California Academy of Science, Natural History Museum at Golden Gate Park. Excellent. Spent two whole days there.

Napa Valley. Rent a car ($50/day for a Pontiac Grand Prix). The Robert Mondavi vineyards were very nice. Old. Big. Formal. Stagg's Leap is younger, brasher, friendlier. Need designated driver if you're going to do the wine tasting

Italian & Seafood resturant on Beach Street just east of the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf north side of street. Don't remember the name. Green neon sign outside. Not a tourist trap. Local's joint.

Didn't like the Stinking Rose. I love garlic, but this place was over the top. We breathed garlic for two days after.

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse. Don't waste your time nor your money.

Monterey/Pebble Beach. Beautiful. 115 miles south of town.

Muir Woods. Cathedral-like redwood national forest. The drive is the thing along coastal highway 1. Beautiful.

Fisherman's Wharf. No trip to SF is complete without the wharf. If he's going to Alcatraz, he's gotta go there anyway to get the ferry. Good food overpriced, especially at Soma's.

btw, when I was there the eastern US was having a heatwave, with heat indexes of over 100. It was damn-near freezing in SF. Days in the upper 70s; nights in the low 50s. The micro-climate on the peninsula was shocking!!.

Chinatown is OK. 2,000 stores all selling the same junk at widely varying prices. Filthy.

Take plenty of money. Everything is expensive. A car is a liability. Had to pay 20/night to the hotel to park the rental. Gas is over two dollars a gallon. No car means lots of cab rides, so dinner for two is, say, $50. add cab rides both ways and, well, you know.

That's what I can remember right now.

Good luck.

Francois

• Stacey
    Stacey

LisaBoobesa,

I went to Campell for a few years as a child, then spent most of my teen years in Santa Clara. I left the org in 89. We did attend the LG/Monte Sereno hall on occasion in the late 80's, for a change of scenery and rude people. One question, did you know the Topping family out of curiosity?

Stacey

• willowstreet
    willowstreet

I am also from Los Gatos, I know all the Topping family.

• Stacey
    Stacey

Willow, are you a current JW? Are you attending there now? Do you know Dana?

• willowstreet
    willowstreet

Yes, I know Dana, we are close....how do you know him? Have you seen him lately? I know you know me, if you know Dana, you know me.

• Stacey
    Stacey

How do YOU know Dana? Do I know you? So you see him often? You know of his engagement and his new baby? Has he been attending meetings? Are you an EX or a current JW?

• Stacey
    Stacey

Willow, you can email me if you'd like. I dont want to make someone look bad on this public board in case anyone else who knows him reads this. I'm curious to know who you are, and if we do indeed know one another.

Stacey

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

>>>
    Italian & Seafood resturant on Beach Street just east of the Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf north side of street. Don't remember the name. Green neon sign outside. Not a tourist trap. Local's joint.
    >>>

The only Italian restaurant that comes to mind on Beach Street near Holiday Inn is called Benevenuti. It's quite popular with locals, is staffed with authentic Italian staff [accent and all], is reasonably priced, and is on the north side of Beach. However, it's west of the Holiday Inn, not east. So, I'm not sure if that's what you had in mind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit