What's my role here????

by bythesea 15 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Thanks Scully

I would have liked to have been in the room but my daughter only wanted her husband. Hey she was having the baby so she got to call all the shots

• jgnat
    jgnat

Excellent advice, Scully.

My sister, a GP, has attended hundreds upon hundreds of deliveries. She was the first one my daughter called after delivery. Her advice, short and sweet was, "get that baby on the breast." My daughter hung up, hollered, "My auntie says I get the baby NOW!" and the nurses hustled. Naomi latched right away.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Alot of doctors and dentists choose to not treat their immediate families.

Now we understand why...

-Aude.

• rootcause
  • bythesea
    bythesea

Thanks, one and all, for all your input....especially to you, Scully, for your more detailed suggestions. I agree that keeping things as simple as possible eliminates problems down the road. You speak as if you are aquainted with the going-ons of the medical field....having some "hands on" experience yourself in these things....am I right?

I'm looking forward to the entire experience and will be seeing my daughter and son-in-law this coming weekend and we will talk about some of the expectations when delivery time comes.

Thanks, Rootcause....for the websites...I will see what they also have to say. I have quite an extensive library on childbirth as it is, having been in this field for a few years now, but I never tire of learning and am always open to more. My daughter is giving birth in a hospital with a nurse-midwife who has had 9 children of her own.....and I will meet her later this month, so I am feeling confident that she is in good hands! Since both of my kids arrived early I'm feeling like I better have a bag packed and ready to grab if she also decides to give birth ahead of the due date! This is going to be so much fun!!!

Thanks everyone, for all your support....now if I can just say and do all the right things at her baby shower given by the KH this weekend!! I will mind my P's & Q's, I promise!!! BTS

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

bythesea - Sticking to the Mom-role and having an associate be the Doula sounds like a good idea to me.

When I was training as a Doula, we were advised against formulating birth "plans" with clients and leaning more toward a birth "wish list" instead. Some medical professionals are less intimidated by the idea of a "wish list" and Moms tend to be less disappointed if everything doesn't work our "perfectly".

Another topic we discussed was not ruling out interventions completely, instead discussing something like an "escalation procedure" to walk Mom through a series of scenarios where she imagines how much pain she can handle, when to bring up suggestions for various pain management techniques, and a code/indicator that tells us that she's had enough and is ready for more serious pain relief (i.e., epidural).

All the best to you and your daughter!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit