Arranged marriages - What do you think??

by Tez 24 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I think every congregation I have ever been to had a geek.

Ha. The ones I went to were more like the Adams Family, where they were all strange and the one normal one was considered the outcast.

• Joel Wideman
    Joel Wideman

I don't remember any congregation I ever went to had a geek. Ummm... nevermind.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

It depends if my wife will mind. Is she hot?

Kwin

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

(((Lady Lee)))

• anewme
    anewme

Yeah, Lady Lee, that must have been painful to write, not to mention live through.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

They do work but it depends on the culture - here in the USA , Independence, Freedom , choice are so ingrained that arranged marriages would not work in the US. Again though, they do work in other parts of the world

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

They do work but it depends on the culture - here in the USA , Independence, Freedom , choice are so ingrained that arranged marriages would not work in the US. Again though, they do work in other parts of the world

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

thanks SPAZnik and anewme

It's been 35 years since the marriage and 20 years since the divorce

all ancient history now and I survived and am still here

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

I just found out tonight that apparently I had a small part in breaking one up.

We have a lot of Indian tenants in my building (my wife and I are managers) and last summer, the father of one of the girls in our building was visiting. I was passing him on the sidewalk in front of our building and I casually mentioned about "how he liked his new son-in-law (to be)". He stopped me and seriously asked what I thought of the guy. I said that I honestly didn't know him very well so I couldn't really say but it was just my impression that I thought his daughter could do better.

Well apparently he went and told his wife and told his wife to ask the daughter about how she really felt about the guy and given the opportunity the girl opened up and told them that she wasn't happy with the arrangement and had some doubts about the guy ,etc. one thing led to another and the parents ended up breaking off the arrangement.

From talking with the girl recently, i knew that the arrangement was off but it was only today when the folks were visitng here again from India that the father told me how I had spurred the inquiry.

whoops!

-Eduardo Leaton Jr., Esq.

• Tez
    Tez

Well done Oroborus!!! This is what I feel is wrong with cultures that arrange marriages! The girl was probably very grateful that you spoke out.

Lady Lee (((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))

What a pushy mother you had!!! I know you say its a long time ago and you are over it but it was something that never should have happened. I've heard of JW mums like that, I think they are trying to relive some sort of romantic experiences through their daughters!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit