Jesus was the first apostate

by JustTickledPink 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Narkissos

What you say makes sense, although I have not studied enough, intuitively that seems right from what I have read.

The more history I read, the more I come to realise that there have always been innumerable religious beliefs and practices, even within Judaism and Christianity.

Even in Jesus day, it was not a simple matter that Christ was a Jew. This does not tell us much about him after all. Is there any evidence that he leaned towards any particular sect. Or did he start his own, perhaps he called it Jehovah's Witnesses but the reference was removed by later copyists, just so Joseph Rutherford could come along later and take all the glory.

It would be wonderful and simple, if there were one true and pure religion in the past, and one true religion today. Some try to believe tis is indeed the case, and so avoid history - they find it less painful to carry on dreaming.

• JustTickledPink
    JustTickledPink

My point was Jesus rebelled against the organized religion of his day, the religion of his countrymen, the religion of his parents, etc. Instead of obediently going to the synagogue and nodding his head, he actually took a stand, said something about it, and lived a different life.

I am sure if they had formal disfellowshipping, they would have surely DF'd him. He was eroding their power and control over the people because Jesus preached the real truth, most of which was common sense, a voice the people hadn't heard in a long time.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    He was eroding their power and control over the people

Moses set up that power control system when he appointed the priests and older men. Was moses wrong?

because Jesus preached the real truth,

Was the ot untruthful, or missing the truth? Was the ot inspired by god?

most of which was common sense, a voice the people hadn't heard in a long time.

The ot was lacking common sense? Or, had the people stopped reading it?

S

• Satanus
    Satanus
    Instead of obediently going to the synagogue and nodding his head,

He did all that too.

I am sure if they had formal disfellowshipping, they would have surely DF'd him.

Of course. But, the ot provided for going one better, actually killing the offender, as the priests arranged for jesus. They would have stoned him, except that the romans had taken that power away from them.

S

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I prefer to think of Jesus merely being the example to follow, and the Pharasees being the Apostates. That makes it easier to understand that the WTS stands in Apostacy.

• JH
    JH
    I prefer to think of Jesus merely being the example to follow

I agree that we should follow his example.

So, the important question here should be, "Does the Watcthtower follow Jesus's example"?

• jaffacake
    jaffacake
    Moses set up that power control system when he appointed the priests and older men. Was moses wrong?
    because Jesus preached the real truth,

Was the ot untruthful, or missing the truth? Was the ot inspired by god?

most of which was common sense, a voice the people hadn't heard in a long time.

The ot was lacking common sense? Or, had the people stopped reading it?

I'm quite sure the Bible teaches us that the NT sublated the NT. With the Messiah, an old covenant was replaced with a new one, under which God's laws are written in the hearts of those joined to God's son.

(2 Cor 5:17 Consequently if anyone is in union with Christ, he is a new creation; the old things passed away, look! new things have come into existence.)

No longer the old way of written code, a new way by definition was apostasy against Judaism, thank God. Now the new covenant is for jew gentile, slave free, male female etc. The Messiah meant freedom, no longer subject to and dependant upon some human priesthood in their approach to God. They could now draw near to God with full assurance by a "new and living way" opened to them by their one High Priestt and Mediator, God's Son. (unless of course we are jews or JWs).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit