Fema said they didnt know of conditions @Convention Center

by LyinEyes 17 Replies latest social current

• Mulan
    Mulan

I heard the director of FEMA tell that to Paula Zahn on CNN. She was totally floored by that and challenged him on it. Everyone wants to know why it is taking so long to get help for these people.

What will become of that city after the water goes down? Will they just bulldoze it and start over?

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I thought he said he didn't know about the conditions at the Convention Center.........are you sure he said Superdome and not Convention Center?

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I could be mistaken, but I thought he talking about the Superdome. But still the Superdome or the Convention Center,,,,,,,why did Fema not know the conditions at either place?

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

FEMA director Michael Brown said the agency just learned about the situation at the convention center Thursday and quickly scrambled to provide food, water and medical care and remove the corpses. At the hot and stinking Superdome, where 30,000 were being evacuated by bus to the Houston Astrodome, fistfights and fires erupted amid a seething sea of tense, suffering people who waited in a lines that stretched a half-mile to board yellow school buses. The above was from the CNN website.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

FEMA director Michael Brown said the agency just learned about the situation at the convention center Thursday and quickly scrambled to provide food, water and medical care and remove the corpses. At the hot and stinking Superdome, where 30,000 were being evacuated by bus to the Houston Astrodome, fistfights and fires erupted amid a seething sea of tense, suffering people who waited in a lines that stretched a half-mile to board yellow school buses. The above was from the CNN website.

Edited to add...........thanks Lisa for clarifying that , it was the convention center he was speaking of. I dont see how he can say he didnt know. It is their job to know .

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    What will become of that city after the water goes down? Will they just bulldoze it and start over?

Some, probably a lot of it, yes.

My husband is a home inspector who is a volunteer member of a group of other professionals who evaluate the post-disaster structural integrity of buildings to determine what can be saved and what has to be razed. He has done this work in many communities after major tornadic, earthquake, and hurricane activity. His FEMA contact called Tuesday night at 11PM telling him to be ready to move out as soon next week, and that they would likely need to make several trips over the next several months due to the severity of the damage and the timeline for recession of the water.

The only good news is that not all of New Orleans is below sea level, much of the french quarter is actually a few feet above SL, and they are hopeful that many structures can be saved. Much of the city that has been flooded likely won't have any structures that are salvagable. Other coast cities and towns that were destroyed by the hurricane might have a higher percentage of buildings that can be partly salvaged since the storm surge receeded relatively quickly.

The bottom line is, they just don't know yet.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I saw the FEMA Director on CNN this morning... he said that many truckloads of relief supplies have been arriving "since last night".

He said it as if he had accomplished something great! I was sitting there thinking, "Last Night?!?!?”

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

ROFLMAO at Soledad! So true, so sad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit