The Number One Reason Why I Am Not a "Watchtower Apologist"

by logansrun 31 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Many here including myself have suffered great losses as a result of the Watchtower Society but showing that we have survived and are happy reasonable people, will be the greatest testimony we can give to the value of life without the Watchtower Society.

Here, here, Trevor!

The best revenge is success. Others, including Terry and Dogpatch make solid points - but if we all come off as one-sided and dogmatic as the Watchtower itself, we will not have the power that comes from strength and dignity. I have had little positive to say regarding the WTBTS, as anyone can see by reviewing my posts here. But in the sake of fairness [fairness that I know comes not to us from the WTBTS], a balanced and fair discussion includes not apologetics [which is always as biased as the attackers are], but at least some who will defend against out and out attacks that bear little resemblence to reality.

At the same time we all know that great emotion is represented here -and that will create a heavily anti-witness bias to begin with. We expect that too.

Peace - Jeff

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Going off the deep end again B.?

Take it easy!

DY

• Confession
    Confession

I find my thoughts completely in line with AK Jeff's.

Please don't misunderstand. You will NOT find me starting threads such as, "The WTS Isn't All That Bad, Is It?" Hardly! This organization has stolen the minds of my family for four generations now--and I will continue to do whatever I can to help people look at ALL the information--instead of merely what the Society tells them to look at.

It could be that some of us categorize this site differently from others. Is it a place for those with shattered lives to come, vent and perhaps in some small way find a source of healing? Sure, and if it provided nothing but that, it would still be absolutely worthwhile. But some of us see it as a starting point for curious JWs. When they come here they will see horrific stories of how the WTS ruined the lives of people. Good; they need to see it. They will also see the WTS exposed for what it is. Great; they deserve to know. But if, when they come here, they read statements which are unfair, sweeping generalizations that comdemn--not only the reprehensible old men in Brooklyn, but ALSO every human being within the organization as unloving, uncaring jerks--it will not (for many) have the ring of truth. It will appear to be just what the WTS itself claims about apostates.

I think we all can agree that at some point our BS Meter finally went off. Some of us had been in denial for so long. Our coming to the understanding of the Watchtower Society we now have didn't require that someone demonize them for us. It basically meant we started to see The Truth. The real truth. Yes, we had to see through the layers of indoctrination: propaganda, spin, emotional manipulation and self-preserving deception. Then after awhile most of us not only saw the truth...we felt we needed to start telling the truth. And telling the truth (to me) cannot involve claiming things that go above and beyond the guilt this organization has.

Is it true to say that the Governing Body of JWs ruined the lives of countless human beings? Yes, I think it is.

But is it true to say that "all elders are jerks?" That "there exists no true love in congregations of JWs whatsoever?" That "every JW only wants to steal your soul and leave you for dead?" I don't think an honest hearted person can answer "yes" to those questions.

If you have been wronged by the WTS, that's terrible. My heart goes out to you, along with the hearts of many here. Is it okay to vent? Hell, yes--you don't need anyone's permission for that. Do you want to be involved in helping other to see "the real truth?" Good for you. But my simple point is that to show that the WTS is guilty of evil deception, manipulation, false prophecy and the destruction of lives, we don't NEED to demonize every man, woman and child in the organization. Lots of them are indeed good people--just misguided like we once were. And saying that none of them are isn't the truth--and very likely sets off the BS Meter for those lurking JWs who are aching for an end to a world of BS.

• aniron
    aniron

I agree with most of what has been said on here.

Not all JW's are bad. In fact I still miss some of them they were good people. When I knew them as JW's.

Some of those very same "good ones" became vicious when I left. Totally different people. But they were just following a pattern set down by the WT.

But also there is the tendancy of some ex-jW's on here to think that because you leave the WT you have become a raving atheist.

Ranting on that "There is no Jehovah" is about as helpful as to those of us still with a faith in God as being an "apostate" is to a JW.

Many on this forum either are Christians trying to help JW's.

Or are JW's who have seen the real Truth of Gods Word and the lies of the WT, of which I am one.

It wasn't lack of faith in God that made me leave the WT, but that I had been lied to for over 20 years about that God and who He really is. I always say that I left a man-made organisation , NOT God.

There is a Jehovah! But I now understand who He really is in connection with Jesus Christ.

So don't take it for granted that all us ex-JW's who write or look at this forum have chucked our faith in the bin.

• sf
    sf

Terry,

Brilliant deductions.

I love all of Norm H.'s threads too on the dynamics of this well-oiled machinery. Please take a bit of time to view them, if you haven't already: [ http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/member/4850/topics/default.ashx ]

sKally

• sf
  • talesin
    talesin

Annie, I'm making it larger for you.

Logansrun,

Seeing as this forum is predominantly dotted with former JWs, I do not understand why you would even see the need to extol whatever virtues that you feel might be offered by the WTS or by the hateful and hurtful actions of its members.

The exJWs and those who are in the process of leaving, are filled with pain and have come here to vent and to tell us about their experiences. I see no need to interject by posting what you may "think" is what may be "fair" in support of the very organization that has CAUSED the pain they have!

I would think that you could put aside your "crusade for fairplay" by realizing when to leave well enough alone for those who are in the various stages of healing. I should think that your caring and concern for those who have seen their beliefs and their lives pulled out from under them, would be more important than consistently providing posts that can only add to their pain.

You are very intelligent and well spoken, and I would think that you would also see the need to be more sympathetic to those who are devastated and trying to find their "way".

TERRY!!!!!!

Your post was one of the best I have seen in a very long time!!!! It was beautifully said and I am so glad you said everything that you did---the way you did! BRAVO!!!!

Annie edited to try to make this font larger...grrrr

xo

tal

• Confession
    Confession

Talesin,

Why make it larger?

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Terry, I very much enjoyed reading your post. I found myself nodding in agreement as I read it. Thankyou very much for putting into words how myself and, I am sure, many others on here feel about the watchtower.

• trevor
    trevor

In a boxing ring the fighter who is angry and blinded with hate for his opponent will lose the fight. Professional boxers are trained to leave their anger outside the ring.

If we are to make a difference then we have to be skilful. We are driven by emotion but it only gives us strength when it is used in a controlled way. We have to know when to duck, when to hit, when to take a punch in order to get our opponent in the right position for a knock out.

A brawl is one thing good fighting is another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit