Thou Shalt Not Consume Peanut Butter Before Thy God!

by Swan 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• willyloman
    willyloman

God bless Dilbert.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Andi

This is not meant to be a suggestion that all religious people are ;blind to scientific evidence but their way of arriving at what is to be considered a fact is different. I am into science, but I also recognize that INTUITIVE knowledge has its place. It is just that the two must remain separate, science cannot claim to understand spiritual or intuitive meaning of things and religion should not claim to be scientific.

Steve,

I really like this; I've never seen it worded quite like this and I appreciate what you're saying.I really like this. I've never seen it worded quite like this and I appreciate what you're saying.

I'm relieved. I wanted to say it but didn't want to offend.

Science examines the structure of things. Spirituality is not so concerned with structure, but meaning and value.

Unfortunately, religion often gets in the middle and tries to play both sides with a dogma that must be accepted by faith.

I think this is where thinking, although naturally spiritual people, have a problem with religion.

Steve

• Swan
    Swan

Steve,

I think you've really nailed the point I was trying to make. Also, it isn't just about JWs and blood, as MrsJones pointed out. It can be applied to lots of religions for various banned items. In fact, it was actually a different religion's stance on a completely different item that prompted this discussion. These are just some of the points I've noted in dealing with several friends who belong to this religion.

Here's part two of my essay to further the discussion:

Now you come up to me and tell me how I should try this peanut butter substitute. It is really so much better, so you say. So I give it a taste, and it's okay, but the real thing is so much better, in my opinion. So I continue to eat PB&J sandwiches, while you eat your substitute and rave about how good it is and how much healthier you are for having eaten it.

My question is, if you are giving up peanut butter for religious reasons, then why are you seeking a substitute? Doesn't it kind of negate the spirit of giving up something for God and your religion? If you believe God commands you not to eat peanut butter, then do you really think He would appreciate you mitigating your sacrifice with a peanut butter substitute?

I'm not trying to accuse here, I'm just trying to understand. If you are giving up something for religious reasons, then give it up. Don't give it up because it is healthier because of one or two studies, or an anecdotal choking incident. Give it up because it is your religion. So why does your church publish articles about the unhealthiness of peanut butter fiends? Are you doing it because God wants it that way, or because you also have to convince yourself you are benefiting your health? I don't get this. Please explain.

Tammy

• jgnat
    jgnat

How to explain illogical people? LOL. I've been surrounded all my life, and I've given up.

Here's another example. A good friend of mine observes Lent. She and her husband pick something to give up for the duration. (If I am getting this wrong, anybody, correct me). He always picks something he dislikes anyways, like a non-smoker deciding to abstain from cigarettes. My friend, on the other hand, observes the intent of Lent, and picks something she likes. This last time she picked chocolate. Uh oh. I laughed, but I was cruel. Of course we had chocolate around the office all through Lent, and the poor woman could look, not touch.

But I think she had the right idea. So do you, Swan.

• jgnat
    jgnat

There may be another factor at work here, the natural human tendency to despise what you cannot have. Like the story of the Fox and the Grapes.

http://www.bartleby.com/17/1/31.html

• Swan
    Swan

Elsewhere,

I love the current storyline on Stargate. I see so many parallels with the Crusades of past and our current fundamentalist crusades between Christians and Muslims going on in Iraq. The episode a few weeks ago where they actually fueled the Prior's force field with their attacks until the whole planet was consumed was particularly enlightening. Is the show trying to make the point that attacking each other head on is counterproductive?

To all,

On a lesser scale, could it offer us some lessons about the minor jihad some have noted that goes on here between religious and atheist exJWs?

Just some other things I have been pondering lately related to Andi's (Billygoat's) recent posts. (Thanks Andi!)

Tammy

• Swan
    Swan

jgnat,

Here's another example. A good friend of mine observes Lent. She and her husband pick something to give up for the duration. (If I am getting this wrong, anybody, correct me). He always picks something he dislikes anyways, like a non-smoker deciding to abstain from cigarettes. My friend, on the other hand, observes the intent of Lent, and picks something she likes. This last time she picked chocolate. Uh oh. I laughed, but I was cruel. Of course we had chocolate around the office all through Lent, and the poor woman could look, not touch.

Great example. I had thought about Lent myself in writing this essay, but wasn't exactly sure how to address that point. Your real life example is perfect. It also gives me an idea about giving up Lima beans for Lent.

The Israelite analogy might be the one in Malachi (or was it Micah, I've been out of da troof for so long, I forgot) where you show your devotion to God through your sacrifice. Do you give of your best, your first fruits? Or do you sacrifice a blind or lame animal instead?

There may be another factor at work here, the natural human tendency to despise what you cannot have. Like the story of the Fox and the Grapes.

In our house we put down Christmas, and always pointed out every evil about it. A news story like "House Burns When Christmas Tree Ignites" would be pointed to as a reason why we were protected during such an evil holiday.

Tammy

• Swan
    Swan

Bttt.

Anyone?

• jgnat
    jgnat

What I wanna know is, how did Google manage to put Low-Carb Peanut Butter and the History of Gnosticism on the same thread? JWD is different, I'll give you that.

Here, I'll help you out Swan. Here is another (evangelical) taboo that gets all mixed up with pseudo-science.

- Celibacy before Marriage - protects you from AIDS.

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

I'm thinking maybe one reason for gathering scientific evidence of the evils of peanut butter would be to demonstrate how far ahead of their time the holy writings really were. When the prophet Thrashbarg decreed to the Sandwich Maker that peanut butter shall no longer be consumed, he could not possibly have known what science has only recently confirmed nearly four and a half thousand years later. Thus we can see that the holy writings are not of mere men, but inspired by the Lord Bob in his ineffable wisdom. Do we dare to question Bob's channel of communication today, presuming that we know better?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit