Why So Many JWs Are Sick ( and What to Do About it)

by metatron 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Tigerman
    Tigerman

I agree with Met, released endorphines combined with pschological endorsements, heal.

• logansrun
    logansrun

damselfly,

What I encourage my clients to do...

What line of work are you in, damsel?

B.

• minimus
    minimus

Dance. Dance. Danceeeeee. I'ma Dancin' Machine....Ooohhh Baby! I feel Good!!

• damselfly
    damselfly

Logansrun~ I'm a massage therapist.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Next thing you know metatron will start a thread on why JWs gossip so much.

I thought we all knew the answer to that. Hours on end of knocking on doors when no one's home - hell, you have to talk about something. And we all know there's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others.

Besides, we're doing the same thing - gossiping - when we come here.

W

• logansrun
    logansrun

In my personal experience JWs do tend to suffer from many stresses and anxieties peculiar to being a JW. But, don't forget that they also, in some areas, suffer from less anxiety and stress than other people. For instance, JWs usually have an instant support group when they encounter stressful situations. Plus, their faith in a future paradise and resurresction can be an emotional comfort, as illusory as such an idea might be to a skeptical observer.

So, it's a mixed bag it seems. Witnesses suffer from some stresses that the "average person" does not have to deal with such as a rigid legal-spiritual framework, constant proddings to "do more" and, for many, mind-numbingly boring meetings and field service. Yet, JWs also have an outlet of support (which can number into the hundreds of people), comforting belief system and prohibitions which can shield them from unneccesary stressors (smoking, venereal disease, violence).

B.

• minimus
    minimus

Regarding JW illnesses, it does seem that they are plagued with mystery diseases fairly often. BTW, wasn't there a book written or essay by a "doctor" saying this was true?

• logansrun
    logansrun

Finally Free,

Gather fifty to one-hundred humans together three to four times a week over the course of many years and you're bound to have some serious gossipping. This would happen whether the people are JWs, Unitarians, Communists or Yankee fans.

This thread is another case of a whole 'lotta nothing.

B.

• minimus
    minimus

I don't see this as "an outlet of support". They are inflicted in house with a malady (like feeling guilty beause you can't do more) and their "outlet of support" is their own elders and brethren that "support" you by employing even more guilt tactics.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Mental health revolves around 3 key issues.

1. How you view yourself.

2. How you view the world around you.

3. How you view your future.

There's the problem!

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit