She Cut My Radishes Into Roses!

by Swan 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Swan
    Swan

Hi all. Sorry for not posting much lately, but I have been doing really well with the old JW issues until now.

I am in tears tonight because of a memory I had of my childhood. I used to open up my lunch-box at school and find my mother had sliced my radishes to look like rose petals. Wasn't that a really loving thing to do? She didn't have to take that extra time and trouble, but she did. As a special treat she would include walnuts inserted inside of dates as a desert.

You see, I had a lot of health problems starting in grade school, so I was put on a special diet. No school lunches were allowed by my doctor. So mom packed my lunch every day and included lots of healthy lunches. Peanut-butter and carrot on whole wheat was my favorite sandwich, even though the other kids thought it was gross. It was really good!

In some ways she loved me and cared for me so much. My health problems, in hindsight, were due to a very deep depression. I had several issues going on, not just the JW thing. The JW thing just exacerbated these issues and made them even more complicated to resolve. As a 10-year-old though, you just don't have the right tools to cope with them. Hell, even as an adult it can take years of therapy to start to recognize what was going on and how to dump the JW garbage and start dealing with the real issues.

But tonight, I feel like a really terrible person, because as much as I loved my Mom and as much as she loved me, I couldn't be a JW any more... and she couldn't not be.

For so long I was angry with her for loving her god more than she loved me. I felt guilty about blaming her. But I also blame myself. Part of me needed to rebel, and I did so in a manner that in hindsight must have been very hurtful, even though I didn't mean it to be. I was 35 and acting like a teenager in my defiance. I tried to be understanding and sympathetic, but I was also adamant, selfish, and self-centered in expressing my desire to break out of my JW chains and live what was left of my life.

I haven't seen Mom for almost 12 years now. I don't know how much longer she has left before she dies. She's 78 this year. I heard she is ill with a rare form of Parkinson's. I doubt she will ever read this, but I am really sorry for taking her baby away from her. In a different world it wouldn't have had to happened, but life in this world is so unfair for a parent and child who love each other, but are so diametrically opposed in their life paths.

Tammy

• Odrade
    Odrade

I'm sorry Tammy. Hugs to you.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Awe (((( Tammy )))) cry hon, you lost your mom, and she lost her daughter.

Maybe write her a letter and let her know how much those little things meant to you as a child and how much those memories mean to you now. Thank her for them. Leave out the JW stuff, just Daughter to Mother.

The results just might surprise you!

Love and hugs, your sis

Brenda

• evita
    evita

Swan, I cried as I read your story; it is so similar to my own. My heart goes out to you and your mom. This religion breaks family bonds and wreaks havoc on our emotions. I hope you get to speak to your mom before it's too late.
    I'm so glad for the time I spent with my mom before she died. Even though our relationship was irreparably damaged by the JW stuff we at least expressed our love for each other and I was by her side when she died.
    Hugs to you.
    Eva

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

(((Tammy))) I was tearing up as I read your post. How your heart must ache. I love Brenda's suggestion-would it be feasible for you? . We're here for you, my friend.

• out of the box
    out of the box

swan,

There will always be things from the past that will creep up on you. For example, when I open a can of beans sometimes I cry. Not every can, but once in a while I will be taken back to the time I was starving and my mother would go to the market and come home with food. I would grab a can of beans, open it and devour it! We were poor at the time and we lived on very little, crackers and peanut butter sometimes for days before she could shop for food. I cry for that hungry little girl inside.

Go to her, be mother and daughter while she still knows you. Peace can only come this way between you two. You will feel so much better for the rest of your life that you made the effort while there was still time!

out of the box

• damselfly
    damselfly

((((((swan))))))

I am so sorry that you are struggling with this. That is a beautiful memory of your mother, hold on to it.

Brenda's letter suggestion is a good one. Even if you never send it, it would be very therapeutic to get it all out.

Dams

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Beautiful story. It always makes me sad when i hear how the religion has split families, like it has mine. Its so much harder when your family are so close.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

damn bOrg!

hugs Swan

• delilah
    delilah

((((((((((((((Swan)))))))))))))) My heart goes out to you.....yet another relationship destroyed by the all-loving, wonderful borganization.....any chance you could talk to your mom?

Delilah

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit