Love is NOT a Human Need

by logansrun 61 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yeah hamster, we're on the same wavelength.

• Dune
    Dune

""""The study occurred in "a hospital where a group of children—all under three years of age—were fed and clothed adequately but, because of too few nurses, given very little personal attention. No one talked to them, carried them around, or cuddled them. The human results were devastating: within two years fully a third of the children had died and the rest were mentally retarded . . . The conclusion seemed to be clear: loving attention is as essential as food for the human infant" (James B. McKee, Sociology: The Study Of Society, 1981, p. 79).

"""""

• mustang
    mustang

Oh, "Brave New World"!!!

Mustang

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I have already spent far too long re reading this thread. I just think now that one cannot be too dogmatic about this subject.

BTW I had excluded childhood development from my earlier post , as I I think did did logansrun. It it true that kids need reassurance and love to grow into balanced adults. But having grown up, I am sure that it is better to be able to stand alone if one has to, rather than be devastated by rejection from those we thought to be lifelong companions

Of course I would rather have a than aanyday,

• blondie
    blondie

BB,

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow
    When we look at life with a deep realization that we largely create our own happiness we can better accept the fact that our former friends and JW relatives may not love us and that this does not have to be the end of the world. It's tough work to actually feel this way, but the payoff is well worth the effort. Develop an inner, self-directed core of contentment with lifes necessities and view everything else as gravy.

When we get hurt by our family, or whoever, it can feel like a real disaster. Or when we don't feel like a part of anything, that can really hurt. When we are dealing with that pain, it helps to have a reality check like this to put things in perspective.

Love and heartbreak makes me feel more alive, but they can also make me pretty miserable sometimes. It always seems like everyone else gets more "gravy" than me.

I've read it's not what is happening to you (or not happening to you) that's making you miserable, it's your way of thinking about it. If you are always telling yourself you must have your family's love, or you must not be alone, you could end up in a lot of pain or very angry.

Everything would seem pretty pointless without love, or the idea of love. But if you always got everything you wanted and never had to go very long without somebody in your life, how would you develop the mental strength it takes to deal with big problems on your own?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Bradley:
    Theoretically it's not a need.

Experientially, intuitively, and historically is most definitely is.

Live is for living and loving

• jgnat
    jgnat

bttt

• Daunt
    Daunt

Needing to feel a part of something can be argued to be a human need. When we are not associated with anything (even if it is made up) our lives are shortened, we have higher possibilities to die of heart disease. I'll have to find a few studies on this but it is true. This need to feel a part of something drives most of our lives. So I don't know, you can live without love, but the toll it takes on your life is arguable.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Brad....your intellect is astounding. Use it for good.

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit