The Country of Niger... A Call To Reason

by Doubtfully Yours 34 Replies latest social current

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    You're the one who's blaming Africa's ills on Catholicism.

okay, fine. do you want me to go and hunt a source that states the current market share of catholicism in africa?

and what would that show?

and what about my other points you keep ignoring?

TS

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    okay, fine. ; do you want me to go and hunt a source that states the current market share of catholicism in africa?

and what would that show?

To see their prominence and influence over the state and the population at large, if it exists.

and what about my other points you keep ignoring?

Perhaps you should be blaming the dictators and those in charge, not the Church.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I find it amazing that people blame the spread of AIDS on Catholicism's teaching when if those people who contribute to the spread of AIDS actually followed Catholic teaching in the first place, they wouldn't be in that situation

well, maybe if the catholic church had behaved in a christian manner all those years, and minded her own business instead of proselytizing the world spreading fear, guilt and ignorance, we would not have so many problems.

oh yeah, christianity, not just catholics.

oh yeah, religion in general.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    well, maybe if the catholic church had behaved in a christian manner all those years, and minded her own business instead of proselytizing the world spreading fear, guilt and ignorance, we would not have so many problems.

Is that just rhetoric, or can you show they've done all that? I've found through Church history, that the religious orders are the ones trying to keep the colonializers from screwing up, like the Jesuits who tried to keep the Conquistidors from murdering millions.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Perhaps you should be blaming the dictators and those in charge, not the Church.

no one is denying that the dictators are assholes. why are there such assholes in the first place?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Is that just rhetoric, or can you show they've done all that? I've found through Church history, that the religious orders are the ones trying to keep the colonializers from screwing up, like the Jesuits who tried to keep the Conquistidors from murdering millions.

i certainly do not need to round up some source that shows the corelation between religious doctrine and human suffering.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

like the Jesuits who tried to keep the Conquistidors from murdering millions.

Pope ALexander VI better know as Rodrigo Borgia , divided the world for conquest between Spain and Portugal - I feel you are woefully ignorant of the Catholic Church's past

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    i certainly do not need to round up some source that shows the corelation between religious doctrine and human suffering.

Abuses always creep in where humans are involved, but you make the illogical jump that because of those abuses, religion should be done away with. For example, Hitler's scientists did horrible experiments on many people and they participated in killing many in the concentration camps: does that mean that all scientists are tainted by the actions of a minority or that all science should be thrown away.

Atheism has also killed millions. Stalin alone cause the death of 10 million people. Does that mean that all atheists are assholes who spread ignorance and murder?

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Pope ALexander VI better know as Rodrigo Borgia , divided the world for conquest between Spain and Portugal - I feel you are woefully ignorant of the Catholic Church's past

I was actually making that statement in reference to a particular city in South America which had been built by the Jesuits, became wealthy and prosperous, but then the Spanish moved in and took it for themselves.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Atheism has also killed millions. Stalin alone cause the death of 10 million people. Does that mean that all atheists are assholes who spread ignorance and murder?

he he, certainly, you are right. good thing they did not kill and torture in the name of atheism. that would suck. so far, however, the track record you defend, is much worse off. not to mention that the catholic church killed and repressed in the name of a deity from their "special" book, the bible. teach hellfire to little african kids? good enough reason for me to do away with it.

Abuses always creep in where humans are involved, but you make the illogical jump that because of those abuses, religion should be done away with.

not just for the abuses. but for ruining peoples minds with mental garbage.

fascism and communism should be done away with too. so? fine. religion, communism and fascism should be done away with. their track records are horrid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit