LUNG CANCER--WILL YOU BE NEXT? PETER AND NOW DANA

by horrible life 30 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

First post I read this morning. Thanks, Mary, for your kind reply.

You know, I guess it comes down to this. It hurts to have people constantly reminding me of the one thing I still struggle with. To have it shoved in my face. To have complete strangers harp on at me about it, when I know damn well what I want and need to do. When even my doctor says 'with all you have overcome, it's amazing you are not dead, on the streets, or a drug addict,,, keep working at the smoking, but don't beat yourself up. Do the best you can, eventually you will succeed."

I was at the bus terminal last fall, and had walked far away from everyone to have a smoke, as is my custom. When I was finished and walking up to the bus, the DRIVER started lecturing me, and telling me that I didn't need cigs. It pissed me off. WTF? I just said to him,,, "You know, I have nothing else in my life right now, maybe this is all I have, every time I turn around, life has stomped me down. Maybe I don't have the strenght to quit right now. Maybe I would just rather be dead. How dare you?" I started to cry, it upset me so much. Just as I am now.

Why is it that strangers feel completely justified in judging me, when they have no idea what my life is all about?

• Mary
    Mary
    Why is it that strangers feel completely justified in judging me, when they have no idea what my life is all about? I started to cry, it upset me so much. Just as I am now.

Sweetie, unfortunately, that's what human beings are like----judgemental. I think Homer Simpson summed it up quite well when he said to Marge: "...Maaarge; sometimes the only way you can feel better about yourself is by putting other people down. And I'm tired of making other people feel good about themselves!"

While I laughed my ass off at this, it's really true. I've give you a good example: A good friend of mine, an ex-Dub, is not allowed to see her grandchildren anymore. Why? Because her holier-than-thou son found out she started smoking again (after quitting for 25 years when she was a Dub). His bitch of a wife will have nothing to do with her either and will tell anyone and everyone it's because they "don't approve of the way she's living her life." Meanwhile, el-bitcho seems to forget that she got knocked-up out of wedlock when she was a Witness years ago and didn't like being judged.....yet to make herself feel superior, she can now treat her mother in law like shit.....

You're right, people don't understand other people's lives. One of my co-workers, who is also a good friend, smokes. I get upset because she was diagnosed with the Hepatitis C virus a few years ago, which affects her liver, and I think "why doesn't she quit"? but I know it is an extremely difficult thing for her to do. And I'm not trying to be judgemental, I am extremely concerned about her health but getting upset isn't going to do anything to help. So now when she says "..l've only had 6 cigarettes today", I praise her for her efforts, as we all know that works far better than being put down. Being put down only makes someone feel worse. I know this from when I was a youngun in school. I was made fun of because of this damn religion and so I started eating, I put on weight and got made fun of for that too........not a nice feeling!

So keep yer chin up hon! Ah's still luvs ya!

• IronGland
    IronGland

Due to this post i think i'll quit smoking. Now if I can just avoid Stroke, Heart Attack, Pancreatic Colon Liver Lymph Prostate Stomach Brain Mouth Skin Cancer, Alzheimers, Broken Hip,Diabetes, Auto Accident,Violence etc, i'll have it made.

I now sit down, through tears, and I write.

Are you serious? Millions of people die every day. Do you cry for every random celebrities misfortune?

Sadly, CNN is reporting another death from lung cancer.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/TV/08/10/obit.belgeddes.ap/index.html

Dead at 82? Oh the humanity! The woman had her entire life ahead of her!

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks, Mary. I was supposed to be at NSCAD today, registering for classes. Just found out on Tuesday that the person taking care of my funding request, made a mistake, so I am screwed once again for at least another year. She didn't think it was a big deal, but then, it's not a year out of her life. Not a good day. I couldn't work today, because I am too stiff and sore, so am left here with my thoughts. I'll keep the chin up, though! Tomorrow will be a better day. :)

IG, you made me chuckle. Thanks.

t

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Most of them want to quit, and keep trying ,,, it's probably the most addictive substance known to mankind.

All you are doing is rubbing it in their faces. Don't you think they already know? *sigh*

Excellent point. I say "leave them alone"! I think most smokers plan to quit, and someone harping at them will only be an irritation and maybe make them put off quitting, to spite you. At least that's how I would react.

A family member lovingly suggesting it is one thing, but leave other people alone. You will only make them mad.

Barbara Bel Geddes died yesterday, also of lung cancer. Things really do come in 3's.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Well, here's the ironic thing IronGland:

Smoking does VERY MUCH contribute to stroke and heart attack, in fact it is one of the major risk factors. (This is all I've been reading about the last three weeks. I'm doing a research project of cholesterol, but it's all related.) When you smoke, you damage your vessels, which then can't deal with the plaque buildup as well, so they more quickly get clogged up, and you get a heart attack if the clog is in a heart vessel and a stroke if the clog is in the brain. Something like that. I'm actually supposed to turn that section in tomorrow. So I'll be writing it today...

And cancer: smoking contributes to just about ALL cancers, not just lung cancer as is commonly thought. It especially contributes to mouth and stomach cancer. Also the others you mentioned (colon, liver, lymph, prostate, brain, and skin. (I think skin, I didn't look that one up.)

The only thing it doesn't contribute to is Alzheimers, broken hip, diabetes mellitus, automobile accident, and violence, although, who knows, that's the next thing we'll be hearing about how smoking contributes to weakened bones, who knows? :)

Anyway, I agree, your doctor or nurse practitioner should be telling every overweight or inactive or smoking patient that changes need to be made. They shoud check on that person's progress every time they come for a visit.

Also, I took a great class, and the guy loved to talk about how we're all going to die anyway, so yeah, that's true. Basically almost everyone either dies of heart disease or cancer in the US. But you could slow the process down by like 5 or 10 years (just my estimation) if you stop smoking.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox, and back to work. Hey, if you want to pick on me, just start a thread on people who don't exercise.

• logansrun
    logansrun

I've noticed a very large number of the ex-JWs I have met are smokers. I think cigarettes are especially appealing to ex-JWs since it is not only looked down upon by society, but was strictly forbidden by the Society. Smoking, therefore, is a form of rebellion. (Of, course, some people just like the taste and the feel)

I admit that I've tried a few puffs a couple times. I think it's really rather awful. And, it's deadly. If you want to reek of tobacco, sustain poor health and, in all probability, shorten the span of your life, by all means keep puffing away. I think it's the utmost foolishness.

B.

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

what exactly was your relation to peter and dana? who were they?

• Mary
    Mary
    I was supposed to be at NSCAD today, registering for classes. Just found out on Tuesday that the person taking care of my funding request, made a mistake, so I am screwed once again for at least another year. She didn't think it was a big deal, but then, it's not a year out of her life.

Talesin, I'm sending you a PM about this........

• IronGland
    IronGland
    Well, here's the ironic thing IronGland

It's not ironic at all. It's expected.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit