Anyone with High Blood Pressure?

by LyinEyes 16 Replies latest jw friends

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I took my blood pressure last week for the heck of it and it was running high. I started to check it everytime I went to the store and it was running high each time. I bought home b/p monitor and it is still running a bit high. Sometimes really high. It has been running about 145/88 most of the time as an average, but at times it can go as high as 165/94!!!! I usually feel a little weird but not really terrible, that is why they call it the silent killer.

I have a dr's appt. next Thursday so I am keeping a record of it.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas? Any thing in the way of vitamins and supplements that might help?

I am dieting , but only really started this a few days ago because heart diesease runs in my family at a young age, as well as high cholesterol and tryglycirides. I am having that checked as well.

I don't have the energry to do extra exercise other than cleaning house, running after kids , but I did do 8 minutes on the stationary bike. Well its a start, I guess.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

LE, that is so scarey! But I'm sure mine is off the charts. For approx. 4 years now, I've been able to hear my heartbeat in my ears. That means my BP is up. My circulation is poor, as well, because my feet and legs look like the Goodyear Blimp. Maybe now I can get this taken care of with SSI/SSD.

As for cholesterol in your veins and arteries, I'll share with you my Dad's history. He wore a pacemaker from approx. age 50 (thank goodness I have my Mom's strong heart). One time when he was in his 70's they were gonna hafta do emergency surgery. When the anesthesiologist took a look at his chart and records, he refused to sedate him for the surgery because his right carotid had shown up as 95 % blocked the year before. My sis and I knew he needed the surgery, so she told the anesthesiologist to check it out again. My Dad only had 5% blockage after a year. Know why? Unknown to me, my sis had made him take 3 Lecithin gel caps daily for the past year. It had almost completely cleared the plaque or cholesterol out of his right carotid and most every other vein and artery in his body. He was safely anesthetized and had the needed surgery. Hope this helps, sugah.

Hugs,

Frannie

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes
    Unknown to me, my sis had made him take 3 Lecithin gel caps daily for the past year. It had almost completely cleared the plaque or cholesterol out of his right carotid and most every other vein and artery in his body.

Frannie that is exactly what I was wondering about, what can help damage that has been done . My cholesterol and tri's were like 241 and over 300 when I was 27 and I was 15 lbs lighter then too. My dad had all the same problems , and I should have been checking it out more, and keeping an eye on it. Now , I am scared that if I don't find out new blood test readings I am really letting myself down. I have to take better care of myself that is for sure.
    Thanks for the info on Lecithin , I will look into that, as I know I need to work on damage that was done , as I work on making myself healthier, I hope it is not too far gone, I have been having some weird heart things going on , skipping a beat etc lately. I have a list a mile long for next drs visit.....lol.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Thanks for the info on Lecithin , I will look into that, as I know I need to work on damage that was done , as I work on making myself healthier, I hope it is not too far gone, I have been having some weird heart things going on , skipping a beat etc lately. ; I have a list a mile long for next drs visit.....lol. ;

You're wcm, LE. My youngest son has had arrhythmia (same thing as VP Cheney) but he certainly won't get the same treatment. A paramedic EMT one time told him when he was having an attack and almost passed out at school, that he should strain real hard like he was trying to have a BM and the arrhythmia would dissipate. It worked.

I sure hope you get some resolutions for you cardiac problems, honey bunny!

Hugs,

Frannie

• talesin
    talesin

That is really serious. I have very low bp, so it's the opposite for me. You are under a lot of stress, and even if you are handling it well, maybe you need more 'me' time? Just a thought ... our emotional health can wreak havoc with our physical, as you know ...

Good you are aware of this, take care of it ...

xo

tal

• TD
    TD

Hi LE,

I was diagnosed with stage 1 hypertension about four years ago. My BP had always been what they call "high normal" but like you, I didn't know anything was wrong until I went in for a physical one year. It was 152/77

I didn't want to go on medication and the doctor said he understood, but if I couldn't control it through diet and exercise, than I would have no choice. (I bet your doctor will say something similar)

Everybody's different of course, but these are some things that helped me:

Diet:

Absolutely no caffeine in any form (Which sucked, because I was a die-hard coffee addict)

Absolutely no alcohol in any form. (This sucks even worse than no coffee)

Decrease sodium intake (Avoid foods high in salt)

Increase potassium intake (Orange juice, banannas, etc.)

Exercise:

It's hard to make the time for it, but regular aerobic exercise (Running, walking, cycling etc. for 30 minutes at least three times a week) will make the biggest difference of all. (It causes your major arteries to dialate and the effect lasts for hours)

However it's very important for people with high BP to take it SLOW and increase the level of exertion VERY GRADUALLY (Your heart is already working harder than it should)

Weight

This probably doesn't apply to you, but extra weight can drive up your BP. (I had to lose 50 lbs.)

Monitoring

Another thing that can help a little is to buy a decent quality BP monitor (Get one that has the upper arm cuff) and check your BP regularly. (You can even take it with you when you go to the doctor and check it for accuracy.) This gives you a "feel" for what things are helping and what things aren't.

For example, I found out that eating a big meal in the evening was driving my BP way up (10 points or so)

Take care of yourself!

Tom

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Thanks for the well wishes ya'll, I will let ya know when I go to the Dr, next week how things are.

Thanks for the tips TD, I do have some weight to lose and I am working on that, I am cutting out the carbs. Not all, just the sugar as much as possible, no bread, no potatoes.....boo hoo on that...lol. I will let myself have a treat no and then stop.

I have exericed the last few days abit by walking, and got on a stationary bike, but I am taking it very slow, for now.

• JH
    JH

At home when I check my blood pressure, I usually am between 120 and 125 over 75 or 80.

At the doctor, It's more like 140 over 80.

Maybe it's the nervosity or maybe my instrument is inaccurate. In any case, I don't like being at 140 at the doctor...

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

JH I thought the machine was broken,,,,lol. I have always had low blood pressure and was shocked that it was higher than my hubby's.

That is why I bought a home monitor so I could take it while I wasn't under stress shopping. I have taken it first thing in the morning before i even put a foot to the ground, laying down relaxing, and it is still high.

I have heard of the white coat syndrome you speak of, anxiety at the doctors and blood pressure goes up. I am keeping a record of the readings because I am afraid if I go to the doctor it will be low.......lol, instead of high,,,,,I am weird so ya never know.

• JWrobot
    JWrobot

You may want to check out http://www.n3inc.com . My triglycerides dropped almost by half after a month or so on it. I take their marine oil and red yeast rice daily. It dropped my cholesterol about 35%. One's diet accounts for only 10-15% of our cholesterol total, the rest is genitics.

The founder of this co. did alot of research into this field after his own father died in his 30's from a heart attack.

That's neat about lecithin. I'll have to do some research into that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit