Too afraid to be free?

by wanderlustguy 12 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Being raised in a cult and having everything planned for you, all questions you have either answered or forbidden, and your future planned out for you almost to the hour, is it that unreasonable to say you could be afraid to be free?

Case in point - me. As soon as I was away from the home I grew up in, it wasn’t 6 months before I was engaged. Looking back I know it was because it was the first person who was interested in me. I guess after growing up and having everything you loved including people taken from you a time or two, you fear it. But for JW’s it is more than that, because you also have a great deal of restriction on your life, and are most likely always on the watch for someone to see you doing something that might stumble somebody, and report you. So sometimes I wonder if I got married so quick because I had just gotten a large dose of freedom and had a subconscious draw for restriction?

Then as time went on, and I figured out my marriage wasn’t right for me or my wife, again there came freedom. And again it wasn’t long before I had another relationship that eventually put almost the exact same restrictions on my decisions and personal freedoms as the org had. Over time I tired of it and had flashes of brilliance as I figured out what I really needed, to be alone for a while, be free, and become ME, not just what other people wanted me to be.

True to form, that lasted a few weeks, and again I was back in another relationship, and I was totally blind to the reality of it. I had no business being in it, and neither did she. Looking back, I knew it, and I ignored it because the “other” need was so much greater…by perception anyway.

So long story short (I know…too late), now I am again alone. It is a struggle, but I am trying to stay that way this time, really am. Most of the time it feels really, really good. I can go where I want when I want and answer to no one. My cell phone can stay in the car, or even off and there is no one to ask me what I was doing. The strange thing is, though, it’s more stressful to not have anyone who would care about what you may be doing, almost like things aren’t right if someone isn’t irritated with you or there is no big issue. So then we start to create issues…and it’s a struggle not to. Strange how we usually can’t see we do that at the time, but looking back it’s so apparent what we do. We create drama because we are comfortable with it.

I truly want someone to share my life with, but I also figured out my life has always been a life others have chosen for me, from what I liked to wear to who I call friends. So I can’t share what I am now, because it’s still not me. As long as I am still so much of a product of other people’s direct influence instead of a product of my own experiences, I will never be free of the Org, because that is where it all began. They taught us to value others opinions before our own…making us slaves in our own minds. What we like is what we were told it was ok to like. Now it’s time to figure out what I like, to become the real me. Then, and only then will I be worthy enough to have another person love me the way I want.

Now if I can only remember this tomorrow! J

WLG

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

im with you all the way

dont know what to do about it but sometimes it just helps to know we're not alone

• vitty
    vitty

I cant really give advice since ive been with the same person since I was 16.

I have heard many ppl say you should be on your own for a while and get to know yourself!

From your avatar you look gorgeous and wont be on your own for long..........just dont come over desperate, be self assured thats the biggest turn on.

• poppers
    poppers

"We create drama because we are comfortable with it."

This is very true. The drama we create, good or bad, is quite handy because it helps to maintain one's sense of identity. I would encourage you to explore who you really are - who is this "me" who seems to need to have drama in his life? What is it that lies beneath all of the ideas of "me" - what is it that precedes and remains after all ideas of "me" fade away? You are on the cusp of something life-changing if you are willing to find out.

• JH
    JH

WLG,

I'm surprised that not many responded to this thread yet.

I truly want someone to share my life with,

I'm sure you'll meet someone in the near future. Don't give up, you seem very successful in whatever you do.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Don't get me wrong here...this isn't meant ot be a "woe is me I'm all alone" thread, but more of a "how do we get there from here", there being emotional self sufficiency.

Sorry for the deep stuff on a Sunday!

WLG

• greendawn
    greendawn

You are beating yourself too much, at the natural pace it takes men until their late thirties if not early forties to really develop their own personalities and really become themselves. That's the good thing about the second part of life. Up to now you've done well enough.

• vitty
    vitty

Actually I reread your post after I replyed (how do you spell ) and its a well balanced post, i didnt mean to say YOU were desperate, but when we have emotional things happen to us we tend to carry them with us. I know youve had a crushing blow recently but there must be at least 3 billion women out there LOL

Love is a wonderful thing, we dont find it,,,,,,it finds us , thankgod

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i think that as ex jw's a lot of us miss out on having a close circle of friends that do help when we're not in a relationship.. also we just dont know how to lean on others for support..its not a skill we learned as jw's.. you sound like a strong well balanced person, maybe focus on more of a social life with pals and be open for whatever happens.

its hard to get out of that "dating and sex means marriage" mind set.. nothing really wrong with it if thats what you want. but theres nothing wrong with dating for social activity either.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    is it that unreasonable to say you could be afraid to be free?

I think it shows that you have transcended at least temporarily all this stuff that others, the wt, parents, etc put on you. If you can keep a focus on the fear, it will diminish. The focus will also help you to keep free.

I feel the fear. It's a safe, comfortable feeling, better than the feeling that would result from taking risks. But, i think i'm gonna get tired of it and go for it.

So, it seems that there are levels:

First, the world you have allowed others to build for you

Second below that, freedom and fear

Third, more fear that results from taking risks and responsibility

Ain't life a pain in the butt?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit