It's 98 degrees, put on your suit and go to Yankee Stadium

by IronGland 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

I remember Philadelphia in 1959; the old Connie Mack stadium -- hot as blazes, and I was sitting out in the open, as member of the assembly orchestra, sans jacket but buttoned into a white dress shirt and tie. It got so bad I got a nosebleed and my once-white shirt turned pink!

... They sure don't make 'em like they used to... they can't even get the current crop of dubbies to attend on Friday..... the boys in Brooklyn/Patterson et al know enough never to attempt a convention longer than 3 days, much less 8; the attendance figures would be a major embarassment!

• rebel8
    rebel8
    remember that vividly from the late 1980's, early 1990's!

I remember those stupid little battery powered fans everyone had, warm shastas and those infernal breaded chicken sandwiches and danishes! ugh.

I remember those things too! We had AC in my city though.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I was at the International Convention at Yankee Stadium in 1969; got baptized there, in fact (well, not at Yankee Stadium, they bussed us across the Bronx to Orchard Beach in standing-room-only buses that took about 2 hours in each direction even though in normal traffic it should take 25 minutes). The convention was supposed to be 8 days, but they could only get the Stadium for 7, so they crammed an extra session into the first two days to make up for it. That's sessions from 9 AM to 9 PM on Monday and Tuesday with the rest of the week only having afternoon and evening sessions - field service (in the Bronx! ) in the mornings, of course.

My friends and I were staying in the Holiday Inn in the Times Square area of Manhattan, which was about a 30 minute subway ride from the stadium. We had no idea whatsoever of the geography of NYC, and the first day we headed back to the hotel, we didn't know how far downtown we needed to go to get there. We didn't want to overshoot our exit, so we got off at 125th Street (those familiar with NYC can gasp now). For those not familiar with NYC, 125th St. is in the heart of Harlem, and that is not an area that two white boys in their late teens wanted to hang around in after dark in 1969. As we were coming out of the subway onto the street, we were impressed at seeing a Kingdom Hall right across the street from the subway stairs. That's as far as we got. We didn't even set a foot on the sidewalk before a policeman approached us and told us that this was NOT the area we wanted to be in and we should just turn around, go back down the stairs and get back on the subway.

The area around the Stadium was dotted with "apostates" handing out literature (mostly various types of Bible Students) and I picked up some interesting information that would serve me well in later years. My friends tried to talk me into throwing the leaflets away, but I actually saved them long enough to read them (perhaps I was a budding apostate from the start?). I actually received several of Roy Goodrich's Back to the Bible Way leaflets, and I wish I still had those, since they are a valuable source of information about the WTS in the 30's and 40's (despite a very angry and bitter tone).

All things considered, I remember that convention as a pleasant experience from my youth, though I suppose that if I had spent the money for that trip on a week at the beach instead, I would probably have as many pleasant memories and might not have spent 30 years in a cult.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    I remember those stupid little battery powered fans everyone had,

Did anyone ever notice those tables that used to be set up outside the conventions where they sold note pads, little battery operated fans, book covers sized to fit the publications, etc? Did you ever notice that, no matter how many conventions you went to in how many diverse areas, those tables were always there and always sold exactly the same things? I reached the conclusion that the Society was sponsoring those tables as an additional profit center (I could be wrong, of course). But it seems hard to believe that the uniformity of those tables was something that was arrived at by individual entrepreneurs in local areas trying to make a quick buck off the conventioners.

• rocky220
    rocky220

it was July 1958........i was there, a baby of 5months and with baby carriage fully stocked!!!!! rocky220

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I thought they stopped the 8 day/3 session a day coventions back in the late seventies?

Even before that - I was b'tized in '74. The longest summer conventions were only 5 days by then. And not nearly as long - done by about 5:30 I think.

I went to the International in Yankee stadium in 1973. Big crowd - hot. I think that one 5 days too.

Jeff

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

oh, yes as a child in the early sixties. melting in a hot outdoor stadium/ being dragged along in my "crenalin" and patent leather shoes. 8 day assemblies lasting well into the evening. cloth diapers for my sister. ARRGGHHH! no wonder my mother has emotional problems to this day!!!!

actually the soda pop, etc. was a real treat because we were not allowed any "junk" food as children (no candy, cookies, soda pop, sugary cereals, etc.)

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

talesin,

i think i went to the exact same DCs as you did; montreal, buffalo, 60's and 70's etc. i remember being caught in a huge snowstorm for one of them that was held in a barn. and we had to stay at this weird brother's house!!!

• Carol
    Carol

Neo....thanks for the memories, I remember those table well! We probably passed each other at the '69 convention in NYC! That was the year I graduated and I went to the NYC to listen......as a graduation present my parents sent me to Hawaiia on one of the Society's arranged tours for the Convention on Oahu! Needless to say...18 years old in Hawaiia.....I made about 2 hours of that one and the other Pioneers I shared a suite with (we were able to have room mates to cut down on room costs and it seems they put two of us pioneers in one part of the suite and two others in the bedroom portion. We opened the adjoining door and had a ball!) didn't do much better. I think technically that's when I started to fade, it just took a while. Ah the good old days!

• Undecided
    Undecided

Yea, I went to several assemblies in Yankee Stadium in the 50's. I met my first wife on the way to the assembly when we stopped to eat and I just happened to see her in the stadium and we sat together and wrote letters to each other. That was in 1953. I was 16 at the time.

I was there in 1958 also, along with several others here. I had fun going to a big city since I lived out in the country. I was used to the heat since we didn't have A/C back then, not even an electric fan. I loved those lunch breaks. So many memories.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit