London mosque surrounded by armed police

by Ellie 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Ellie
    Ellie

According to the news a London mosque has been surrounded by armed police and a man has been shot dead on a London train

• Pole
    Pole

Looks like they're trying to hunt down yesteday's would-be bombers.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    'SUICIDE BOMBER' SHOT

Police have killed a suspected suicide bomber at a Tube station in south London.

Armed officers opened fire up to six times on the suspect as he hurdled a ticket barrier and raced along a platform at Stockwell station.

Police screamed at passengers to evacuate and are thought to have shot the suspect as he stumbled on to a train.

Alarmed onlookers said they saw up to 10 plain-clothed officers chasing an Asian-looking man before opening fire.

Passenger Briony Coetsee said: "We were on the tube and then we suddenly heard someone say 'get out, get out' and then we heard gunshots."

Unconfirmed reports suggest the man was involved in Thursday's assault on the capital.

If the suspect is proved to be a suicide bomber, it would mark the fifth attempted terrorist attack on London in less than a day.

Stockwell Tube alert

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: "We can confirm that just after 10am armed officers shot a male at Stockwell Underground station.

"A man was challenged by officers and subsequently shot. London Ambulance Service attended the scene. He was pronounced dead at the scene."

Police have been given orders to shoot to kill if they believe someone is about to detonate a bomb.

Sky News Crime Correspondent Martin Brunt said: "The officer or officers involved in this clearly felt this suspect was about to detonate a bomb."

Tube services on the Victoria and Northern Lines were suspended at the request of police.

An earlier bomb threat targeting a mosque in east London has been given the all-clear by police.

www.sky.com/skynews

I can't believe we've got gun fire on the streets of London, Its mad!

I have this really weird feeling about Sunday as well - maybe its just the date ie 24/7.

• greendawn
    greendawn

That was a lucky escape there was nearly another blood bath but as the bombs didn't explode on them the bombers managed to run away despite the crowds but got seen by many people who gave their description to the police. So they may have cornered one.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Certainly very scary developments in a city I absolutely love

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

This is starting to make me feel physically sick. I only work in central London on Saturdays now but it involves a long commute on the underground.

Even before these bombings started I was paranoid on the tube and would often change my train if I saw someone odd looking (and there are many odd looking people down there).

I do not want to give in to these people though and know statically nothing is likely to happen but I still get the willies big time going down there.

I also get my mainline train into London at Luton station on the Thameslink service. During the 7/7 Bombings my wife was on the very same train as the bombers coming into town.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Peppermint - thats so worrying! And given that you say its a long commute on the tube for you its probably not possible for you to walk. Be safe and vigilant and you are quite right to get off if you see someone that gives you bad vibes or is dodgey looking even if it makes you late. Better late than never.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

But Crumpy once fear sets it Everyone looks dodgy!

There was a poor muslim woman being interviewed on Radio 4 this morning and she was crying because as well as being scared herself about being bombed she said everyone was running away from HER when she was on the underground because she had a scar on her face AND she was a muslim. Its all very sad.

• jula71
    jula71

Peppermint, that's scary. All I can say is be aware of your surroundings!! The authorities can not profile, but we as passengers can. If anyone on board makes you feel uncomfortable, GET OFF!! And catch the next one! Always be aware of who is around you, and look out for anything that looks or feels out of place.

• greendawn
    greendawn

These attacks are causing people to get stressed in London especially on the trains, that's worrying are they achieving some objective?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit