JW kids who are currently in college LOVED the convention drama!

by urbanized 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• melmoth
    melmoth

I'm almost glad I didn't have a JW board to keep me 'encouraged' while I was in college. It might have slowed down the inevitable.
    (A grape to all of you at JWD too.)

• Momofmany
    Momofmany
    (A grape to all of you at JWD too.)

::::spew::::

I have tea all over my keyboard now.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

That was the oddest time for me to be a JW. In community college, seriously considering leaving the JWs, but also starting to make some good friends within the org. I guess I would have that compartmental thing going on, come to think of it, but it wasn't on purpose. I never tried to conscously be fake, but I would just have moments of spirituality where I would close my eyes to the years of doubts in my mind.

That's kind of annoying and sad to read their posts. God, I'm worried for all those normal ones who are going to be swayed away from college!

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Pardon my french but 'BOLLOCKS'

Precocious little gits...

DB74

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

Y'know, with these sickly sweet gushings I wonder if they're actually trying to convince themselves more than anything else. It reminds me of being a JW kid - you had to say all those kinds of things to keep up the facade and because it was the 'right' thing to do.

FF

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I surmise that these are JW Lites. Being a JW is easy for them. They get to go to college, watch whatever movies they want to, go to the prom, have friends in the world.

I doubt they were even listening at the conventions. They would be hard pressed to explain the simplest JW teaching. What they do have is a rabid loyalty to the JW organisation. They don't understand why they do what they do, but they will turn on anyone who criticises it.

It is just pack mentality, and they know all the right things to say to fit in with the pack. Mummy and Daddy, their families and everyone they grew up with would reject them if they didn't.

• out of the box
    out of the box

Isn't that part of the 'script'? I mean if you don't think it was great and say so, you get sort of 'shunned' by others in the congregation because they will be able to see that you are spiritually 'sick'! I mean, if you don't smile, you don't go to ALL the meetings, participate in all events with them including social ones... you now 'stick out like a sore thumb' and they can know who to avoid! That makes them think they are smart and can spot a spiritually lower person than themselves and can redirect their attention to someone who deserves it more than you, and that makes them a better JW!

out of the box

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Isn't that part of the 'script'? I mean if you don't think it was great and say so, you get sort of 'shunned' by others in the congregation because they will be able to see that you are spiritually 'sick'! I mean, if you don't smile, you don't go to ALL the meetings, participate in all events with them including social ones... you now 'stick out like a sore thumb' and they can know who to avoid! That makes them think they are smart and can spot a spiritually lower person than themselves and can redirect their attention to someone who deserves it more than you, and that makes them a better JW!

Agree with you here...it clearly demonstrates the typical approach we probably all had back in the dub days...we strove to be accepted by our peers in fear of the consequences of a failure to be seen as 'spiritually strong'.

Is it any wonder how the society wrote with such authority on peer pressure in the YPA articles...they are after all experts on this subject!

• Room 215
    Room 215

When was any talk or part on the meeting ever called anything but ``fine" -- my candidate for the most overused word in the JW lexicon.

• LuckyNun
    LuckyNun

oh my lord. I must have spent about thirty minutes reading those posts on myspace. seems like a lot of spanish kids are more likely to be on MySpace or have LiveJournals. this is my space: http://www.myspace.com/the_lucky_nun

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit