Weird Field Service Experiences

by PaulJ 30 Replies latest jw experiences

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Did anyone have any really WEIRD calls?

I remember one when i was aux pioneering- some guy said he belived in 'the book of the yellow man' Which he said was based on the belief that aliens came to earth in a hot air balloon and created mankind... or something like that. He was an odd chap. I cant remember what i said, but it was very strange.

Anyone heard of this? Or was he making it up for a laugh? (gives me an idea tho, if I get JW's come to my door now!!!)

Anyone have any other odd experiences on the doors?

OR have YOU ever talked nonsense on the doors for a joke?

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Pioneer sis. knocks on the door

Naked man answers

Pio. offers the mags

Naked householder responds "don't U see me standing here naked???"

Pio. answers, "Yes, now do U want these magazines or what? They're just $.40 for the two of them.

• talesin
    talesin

Perhaps he was a scientologist?

There used to be a woman here in town who was quite odd acting. She would smear blush all over her face, and her hair stuck out all over. She rarely spoke to anyone, except to act aggressively, shouting and yelling profanities (now I realize she had a mental illness, poor thing). Of course, all the JWs thought she was 'demonized'.

Anyway, one day we knocked at a door in one of the old rooming houses, and she answered. She glared, we smiled. She advanced, we retreated. "Have a nice day!" *scoot down the hallway to the next door*

t

• damselfly
    damselfly

When I was still quite young, maybe 9 or 10, I was allowed to sleep over at my cousin's house on a friday night with the condition that I would have to go out in the service with them the next morning. Being a lovely warm summer evening we camped out on the lawn in our tent and sleeping bags. We went to the store and purchased penny candy, stayed up really late giggling and telling scary stories, decided which boys in the hall were the cutest and in general had a great time. Morning came really early and my cousin and I got "assigned" to work with 2 elderly sisters in the hall. We spent all of the very, very hot morning going door to door with them. We did not get a coffee break, no water was offered dispite the extreme heat. Nearing the last call of the seemingly 'morning that would not end,' we all stopped at one of the sister's return visits. As we were all STANDING in the overheated kitchen I started to not feel so good. The next thing I know I am hitting the floor in a dead faint!

Magazines placed = 0

Money spent on penny candy = $0.75

Look on householder's face as a wee Damselfly hit the floor? = priceless

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hi damselfly, you are not the only one to faint in the ministry.

I had been unwell for a day or two, but my wife was keen to do a couple of backcalls (return visits) and I came out to accompany her. We found someone at home and sister BluesBrother was having a good conversation. It went on, and on and.....I was feeling woozy... thump!

Next thing I was coming round on the payment. i am told that the householder was very concerned, I guess that ended the call..

OR have YOU ever talked nonsense on the doors for a joke?

Sadly I have talked a lot of nonsense in my time, but the sad thing is that I was not joking

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Look on householder's face as a wee Damselfly hit the floor? = priceless

Great post....LMAO

DB74

• Carol
    Carol

15 degrees (-10 degrees wind chill factor) January day, three homes from the Ocean on the Jersey Shore...walking the block at 13 years old with another 13 year old sister (happened to be the daughter of the Ministry School Overseer)....lady answers the door and tells me "I'm sorry, I'm not interested I have my own religion" to which I answer..."that's okay, but why are you sorry, at least your religion doesn't make you knock on peoples door on days this cold". I turned and left the door.....companion and I giggling.....unfortunately she thought it was so funny, she told her parents about it at dinner that night. Needless to say, I had a meeting with the committee of three.

It felt so good, it was worth it!

• loosie
    loosie

One time I met a householder who came to the door wearing pink bunny slippers. Not unusual you might say. The only hing is the householder was a MAN

• loosie
    loosie

oh I almost forgot to tell you about the story of one the older sisters we were out in serivce with. During lunch break she went to the restroom and came back with her skirt tucked inside her pantyhose. She proceeded to go to the jukebox in the diner to play a song. One the brothers went over to her and stood up behind her and helped her pull her skirt out.

lmao that was funny

• Carol
    Carol

I know I've already posted here, but bear with me....I think you'll all find this not only strange but funny!

Many years ago, we were constantly reading in the mags about witnesses in foreign countries being physically persecuted (spelling???) because they would not get government political ID cards.......well I grew up going door to door in a resort area......hundreds of thousand of residents in the summer that dwindles to a couple thousand in the winter.......ripe for the picking all those vacant homes full of furniture, tv's and sterios!

Sooooo the local police (they covered this 18 mile long 1 mile wide island) came to the congregation and asked us to have our finger prints taken and put on file! Well, at first there was great distress, was "big brother" trying to track us, did this violate our rights? After sitting with the police and actually listening to their reasoning and then clearing it with the GB, the Congo Overseer and committee requested......all of the Pioneers (I was one) and a specific number of publishers go in and have their finger prints taken. We then were the group that most often worked this territory, particularly in the winter (bear in mind this is an island, 6 miles out into the Atlantic Ocean.....winters were a joy, she says tonge in cheek).

Oh, I never told you why the police wanted the prints......it was to rule us out when the houses were broken into....our fingerprints were on file as to having knocked on the doors or opened the outer door to knock on the inner door. As far as I know they're still on file, because I used a copy of them to get my gun permit (that's another story).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit