How/Why were the Jehovah Witnesses chosen?

by Hondo 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Hondo wrote: "Some may take this the wrong way, as it may sound a bit glib, and I apologise in advance if this is the case and I offend anyone, but my ex-wife truely believes, no matter that she can't explain why (and maybe this is my answer. she believes "just because" she was told to believe), that Jesus did come to earth and chose her new found group as "the group."

In trying to understand this, you have to try and put yourself in the mind of a JW, the way a JW thinks. A JW doesn`t see it as if "Jesus came to earth and chose his new found group as "the group". JWs see their religion as welcoming people all over the world and of all races INTO their group. They believe that THEY have the one and only correct interpretation of the Bible, and that this means that "they" chose God, not the other way around, and that God is pleased with them for having found the correct interpretation. God was, in a way, just waiting for someone to interpret the Bible in the correct way, and that this group would go out an convert all of humanity into seeing the Bible the same way as they do. They believe, in a way, that they are the new "chosen people", as the jews (who were the original chosen people) rejected the Messiah, and all christianity since then (apart from perhaps the early christians) read the Bible in the wrong way.

I am sorry about your wife, and I can also relate to that issue. My mother also "found" JWs, while her first husband rejected their faith/saw right thru it. They started having problems in their marriage due to this, resulting in him committing adultery, and then they divorced. They got into a custody battle about their three children (my halfbrother and two halfsisters), and the dispute went all the way to the high court, the first case of its kind in my country! My mother won the case, as the court decided that a persons religious beliefs could not be grounds for loosing custody of her children. There were other things involved to, of course, my mother had remarried by then, to my father, a JW who was an abusive tyrant-bastard,he`s dead long time ago, thank God. Anyway, the case boiled down to the religion (thanks to my mothers lawyer, sort of a judicial diversionary tactic), and she won the case. After my halfsisters and halfbrother were grown, they have said that, all in all, they wish their father had won their case. And I agree with them, as my father, their stepfather, was a real bastard, I spit on his grave. Anyway, I wish you good luck. Do you have any children? If so,and if you find yourself in the same predicament my mothers first husband did, NEVER give up the custody fight.

• hubert
    hubert
    A JW doctrine that has always bugged me is the belief that Jesus came to earth in 1918/19, or there-a-bouts, and chose them as his one and only representative orgainization on earth (I think I have it right).

Hondo, There is a book called "Captives of a Concept" by Don Cameron that covers that exact topic, and PROVES the J.W, cult is NOT the "Faithful and Discreet Slave:, which Jesus appointed in 1918-1919, as the Watchtower heralds.

It can be downloaded on line, for 5 bucks, or ordered thrpugh the mail for around 15 bucks.

I strongly suggest you get it and read it. It will enlighten you. It's only 147 pages, but full of proof. Just type in the title, or go to www.lulu.com and search for it, either with title, or authors name.

Another good book is "Crisis of Cinscience, by Ray Franz. It can be order at a book store.

Sorry to hear you lost your wife to this cult. You are not alone, believe me. Once the Watchtower has one spouse in their grip, they make that spouse go after the other one, to get them in. If they can't, then the w.t considers the other spouse "bad association", and causes trouble between them, trying to divide the family. Good luck in your research.

Hubert

• greendawn
    greendawn

That they were God appointed is a myth given the fact that they are forever changing their doctrines (not developping them but replacing them with new ones)they can't get anything right and that shows the falsity of their grandiose claim.

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

DY--this guy isn't a stupid witness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why should he go to the local congregation?They don't have shit to do with him or his relationships.There is no need to involve self rightoeusss cleaners/elders in all of this.

CYP-your right on.He should move on and be glad he didn't get sucked in.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee
    If your spouse has no biblical reason for leaving/divorcing you, demand your rights. Go to the local congregation and expose your case.

What? That would only help legitimize them and their so-called "authority". It's almost like admitting you are willing to play by their rules. I suggest you DON'T do that. (only my suggestion though ... and I'd be interested in hearing the opposing argument)

I've never heard them say to break up the marriage to any sister/brother. If anything, I've heard them teach for the sister (mainly) to hang in there, praying to Jehovah, in hopes that she'll gain the husband's approval and he'll become a JW himself.

Bull-crap. Anyone familiar with WT B*llsh*t knows that what they write in print and what happens in actuality are far far different. I came from a divided family and I can tell you there were many brothers that - while not outright SAYING that my mom would be better off without him - quite often said what a loser my dad was for not taking to the truth, and how he was arrogant and self-absorbed and a test from Satan.

The poor elders are on the frontlines of the WT authority structure, and they don't need strongminded opposers around.

If you ask LEGITIMATE questions about them ... and expose the JW religion for the fraud that it is .... I guarantee you they won't want you around.

They call it "spiritual endangerment".

-ithinkisee

• Hondo
    Hondo

DY

Not trying to get on the wrong side of you, but I think you are wrong. Granted, brothers and sisters of a congregation may have never mentioned to my wife that she was married to a "non-believing mate", or maybe they did, I don't know. I do know that my ex had two distinct personnalities between pre and post JW's. The way she related to me prior to and after she became "hooked" was totally different. Things that her and did together before she joined now became lower on her priority list; going to meeting, and meetings, and meetings, became tops on her list. If I wanted to go to dinner on a meeting night, guess what, I lost. Things like this were subtle at first, but became worse the more she "studied." Whomever provided her with her free 'bible study" did a very good job.

If she had not answered the door that day in Japan a few yers ago, when the ship was gone (I am retired Navy), and the kids were in school, we would still be married today. This is a fact! The JW's, whether directly, or indirectly, played a very large role in the breakup of my marriage, and life as I had planned for.

• avishai
    avishai

Uh, yeah. They will encourage her to leave of you become a "spiritual danger" i.e questioning the religion too much. Or had'nt you heard of that before, DY?

• Hondo
    Hondo

luna2

You could be my ex-wifes double. Everything it looks like you participated in to eventually become a JW, my ex (I think) did as well. Before she became active she was interested in learning the bible. I help her in this regard by getting her a Japanese language version of King James. Our marriage, although pretty strong, may have been lacking something, although I don't know what. I was in the Navy, on a ship, and away for 2 and 3 month stints at a time. Maybe she was lonely, home alone, kids (a boy and girl and not JW's) in school etc., etc....and the knock came. I could tell during the last year of our marriage (2003) that she blindly followed the WTS teachings, without question, WITHOUT QUESTION!!! I would show her a blatent falsehood, implicit lie, or something the WTS had kept from her (she knew nothing about the home in San Diego that Rutherford eventually took as his home. I told her that is was suppose to have been for several prophets that were predicted to return to earth back in the 20's, but never did. I Told her Rutherford was a drunk, womanizer, etc. I showed her pictures and other "proof". She believed nothing I said or showed her. Her comment(s) was something along the lines that someone had just made up the story to make the JW's and the WTS look bad). She would clam up and fold in on herself and become very quiet and silent (her eyes became very dark). Rather than argue, and lose, she would say nothing. I'm sure she reported to her elder(s) that I had become, or was becoming, a spiritual danger to her.

I sympathize with all the Ex-JW's on this board, and don't claim to feel or understand what you have gone through leaving an organization you may have been associated with, perhaps for you entire life. I've read a lot of posts and it seems there is a lot of pain associated with this, more for some than others. I don't want it to seem like I'm snivling, or even try to compare myself to any of you, you are very strong people in my eyes, but there are some folks like me who, although not JW's, have felt the brunt of their disgusting beliefs in other ways, as in my case; a 20 year marriage and family destroyed. I will be truthful, I am having a hard time. Every day since 2003 (Sept) Many times I get home from work and just sit at home and ask why. I look at pictures of the good times. I still love my ex, and always will. This is not the way I had intended us (we talked about our future many times before she got involved with this cult) to move into the future. Prior to her getting involved our priority list was, 1) our marriage and family, and 2) ensuring we lived (including spiritually) the best life possible. After her exposure, she, not us, set priorities as, 1) WTS (as far as she was concerned this her God), 2) meetings, 3) meetings, 4) service time, 5) cleaning KH's (a lot) and, 6) her children. I was relegated (this is the way I felf) to the end of her list. I have tried to excape from this hold on me of past memories. It is very difficult. I have even questioned from time-to-time my religion, to a point of asking myself why, what is the point is of trying to believe in God. Hopefully time will allow me to understand.

Thank you for your post and the links to other sites. I am guessing you are not active any more. I wish you the best.

Take care

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit