There were some good things about the organisation...

by Do I Stand Alone? 54 Replies latest jw friends

• homesteader
    homesteader

my observation of your post is that you should of raised this question without trying to promote your business. also you are stretching the good things about the organization. the public speaking skills are nothing compared to toastmasters and although i wasted a lot of time out in service i am by no means a sales person...in fact i hate selling things. i didn't become a jw until i was 20 so must take responsiblity for what i got my self into. in retrospect i don't have any ill feelings towards jw's because it was where i needed to be at that time in my life. it did help me to quit smoking, drink in a more responsible way, give up an immoral lifestyle. my children were exposed to literacy and reading at an early age. i think i gave a little too much credit to jw's for everything because after i left the org and met my husband he accepted christ, quit drinking, quit smoking and also gave up an immoral lifestyle. my husband and i have both been through some rough times and neither of us regret what we've been through or done as it's made us the people we are.

as a child i lived in an orphanage (Mooseheart) and for many years couldn't see one good thing that came out of it at the expense of my lost childhood. my anger has passed and although i don't feel appreciative of the place or the the Moose Organization, I don't feel angry either. I try to look at the positive points and there is always something postive to focus on but i do believe one has to work through the anger first. it's interesting that they have a message board and when i showed up as the antagonist many weren't happy that i questioned their 'happy child city" memories. the board was quite interesting for a time with different viewpoints but now has settled down and has very few posts.

thanks to the folks who exposed the business as amway....been there, done that.

• chris1525
    chris1525
    The years I have spent recouping my education since leaving school and the resulatant loss of income (1 year doing a part time GCSE at night school, 2 years back at college paying to do A levels when I could have had them for free at age 16 - 18, 3 years back at university in my late 20,s, and 1 year doing a post grad teacher training course) have left me thinking no amount of Awake arrticles on the lesser spotted pepper moth could compensate me for my lost education. Im 35 and my career has just started. Im competing with 21 year olds who earn the same as me. I feel like a right loser!!

Couldn't agree more Lou. I suppress quite alot of bitterness that when I was leaving school it was at a time when further education was 'frowned upon'. If you weren't leaving school at the ripe old age of 16 to pioneer, supprting yourself with a window cleaning round or some other part time job, you were considered 'worldly'.

Although I say it myself, I consider myself to be a reasonably intelligent person. Coasting through school with little effort achieving 9 good 'O Levels' - shows my age! I'm pretty sure I could have got 2 or 3 A Levels and a half decent degree and pursued a far more lucrative career earlier. I also found myself shying away from a job I wanted to do because again 'it was frowned on'. Happy to say I now do tha job, am enjoying it, and I even think I'm quite good at it! And I'm sure you're far better at your job than those 21 year olds cos of a bit of llife experience.

The frustrating thing though is that since 1984 the rules have changed. Quel Surprise! It is no longer considered such a bad thing to pursue a further education. How annoying!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

orangefatcat you fluffball - I think your nose has picked up on a wiff.

Madmax - I have to laugh: vomit (makes faces & noise) cow dung. pubic ball hair.....

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Some of the people were great, other than that I dont see much of value.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

***Many of the individuals in this forum are better public speakers because of having been in the organisation then if they were not in the organisation. You have the skills to speak in front of large audiences ranging anywhere from 50 to several thousand at a time.

DISA,

Yes, and after 30 years of the WTS rat-race, I well-deserved to take away something other than a trail of lost hopes and a broken heart because of their deliberate lies.

I CAN say that this was somewhat of a benefit, even though I finally quit the TMS because I always ended up with a full-blown panic attack (with severe diarrhea) MOMENTS before I had to give a talk. The more times it happened, the more panic stricken I became, so I upped and quit, to the dismay of the school servant. He reluctantly said that I "could quit" (gee thanks, but I was GOING to quit) as long as I assured him that I would go over the study that was involved that evening as if I was giving my talk.

But the School did help me to be a bit more prepared when I went into Child Advocacy for Special Ed kids.

***You were studious and disciplined

No, I most definetly was not. I HATED studying for the meetings. I FORCED myself to do it because it was EXPECTED. I will devour anything that is of REAL interest to me, and I "study" many things that DO. But poring over books like we had to, and so OFTEN, (like the "unified" book, that Proclaimers" book, and my personal FAVE "Babylon The Great Has Fallen" UGH) was a big turn-off for me.

*** You have computer skills and savvy

???? I was taught neither of these by the WTS! All I was told was not to look at negative (to the WTS) things on the 'net. THAT'S a computer skill? I think not.

***I know witnesses that have done years of door to door without a single convert.

OUCH! Ya really know how to jab don't ya? (J/K)

Side Note: WHY is it that when we see posts like this from newbies...do we NEVER see a bio on the profile?

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit