Does anyone have the Awake! January 1 1989? - 20th Century Quote

by jwfacts 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• KillerJones
    KillerJones
    Great thread, you guys! I never knew there were so many changes from hard copy to digital. Shame on them...when a publishing house can change copyright material to fit their dates, they truly lose credibility. 😞
  • jwfacts
    jwfacts

Thanks for those that got in contact with scans, and a relief to know there are still originals of these good hands. 

Yes, of course it was the Watchtower not the Awake, not sure what I was thinking.

Cappytan - But video of a physical magazine or bound volume being opened and then showing the passage has more effect, in my opinion. 

Great idea. Part of the reason for this thread was the copies I have are not great quality, and a JW may try to insist they were altered. Filming opening the magazine and then the bound volume would be even more convincing. 

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    I'll happily send you an original bound volume jwfacts.
  • Magnum
    Magnum
    stuckinarut2 - I thought the wording had been changed in all the bound volumes. It was changed in mine and mine was ordered as soon as the bound volumes for that year became available. Are you saying that there are some bound volumes that have the original wording?
  • millie210
    millie210

Does anyone know if this is a common practice, changing wording in older printed material?

• Splash
    Splash
    millie210 Does anyone know if this is a common practice, changing wording in older printed material?

The most blatant was when everyone at the book study groups were given a sheet of 'new light' to cut out and stick into their Revelation books.

Since then it has been done in a much less public way. This underhandedness extends to the new website where the literature is available from 2000 only, and is subject to secret revisionism at any time.

• millie210
    millie210

Thanks Splash.

I dont mind being handed a list of revisions, at least that is upfront and you can make of it what you will.

This whole idea that they are "secretly" re- writing the bound volumes just blows my mind however.

I guess one reason they arent going back past 2000 is there was too much to re-write?

What other religion changes that much?

Basically what they are saying by only highlighting from 2000 on is "Look World - We Are A 15 Year Old Religion!" 

• TD
    TD
    A particularly funny and similar example was when the publication date for Object And Manner Of Our Lord's Return was moved back 4 years in the 1930 - 1985 Watchtower Publications Index.
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

A particularly funny and similar example was when the publication date for Object And Manner Of Our Lord's Return was moved back 4 years in the 1930 - 1985 Watchtower Publications Index.

?

• TD
    TD

@berrygerry

The publication date was clearly 1877 and the 1930 - 1960 Watchtower Publications Index lists it as such.

In 1975 the JW's published a short history of their organization in the 1975 Yearbook Of Jehovah's Witnesses. 

It was at this point (I'm speculating here) they realized that Russell had not at any point looked forward to the Parousia as a future event.  The very first thing he ever published on the subject was three years after he believed it had occurred. 

So in the 1975 Yearbook, they rolled the publication date back four years and claimed it was published in 1873.

The 1930 - 1985 Watchtower Publications Index followed suit, listing the "New" publication date of Object & Manner as 1873.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit