ARE JW SISTERS ALLOWED TO CARRY COFFINS?

by steve2 41 Replies latest jw friends

• steve2
    steve2

Recently I was amazed to read in another thread that JW females are not even allowed to walk up and down the aisles counting those in attendance. The poster said JW women literally "don't count" - a brilliant play on words. I guess I had never thought about it before, but it got me wondering about all the behind-the-scene work JW females do, but their invisibility in the public arena.

But what about during funeral services - does this invisibility still prevail? Are they allowed to give a eulogy? Can they be pallbearers (carry the coffins)? Apart from sit and stand upon request, what are they allowed to do during such a service?

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I've never seen a JW use a coffin, they all cremate. And if they didn't they wouldn't bring the body inside the KH, b/c they think it would be worshipping the dead individual.

• Soledad
    Soledad

the classicist is right, no coffins go inside a KH. they are particular about not giving outsiders the impression of being like the condemned Great Harlot also known as christendom.

• minimus
    minimus

"Sisters" can't even hold a microphone.

• Nocturne
    Nocturne
    the classicist is right, no coffins go inside a KH. they are particular about not giving outsiders the impression of being like the condemned Great Harlot also known as christendom.

I disagree. When my uncle passed away, they had his funeral inside the KH, and he was exposed there. When i went to another jw funeral, but this one at a funeral home, i was told that the only reason the service wasn't at the KH was because the coffin couldn't fit through the door.

• Poztate
    Poztate

But what about during funeral services - does this invisibility still prevail? Are they allowed to give a eulogy? Can they be pallbearers

To say that witnesses have a funeral service would be a lie. They do conduct a public talk given by an elder. The elder will give a brief summary of the persons life with a lot of thought that they were faithful,always supported the congregation and got their hours in.THEN they will switch into the beliefs they have for resurrection...new system...remain faithful..being loyal etc..etc...etc.. This is the standard talk given at funerals. He might even ...if he have guts enough prompt everyone in attendance to attend all the meetings (listing meeting times) so they can survive "A" and see their loved one again.

No one else will be allowed to take the stage(relative or not) to say a few words or eulogize the person.You would also be discouraged from giving notes about the persons life to the elder conducting the talk for inclusion in the talk. You must remember the funeral is about them..not the person who died.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    I disagree. When my uncle passed away, they had his funeral inside the KH, and he was exposed there. When i went to another jw funeral, but this one at a funeral home, i was told that the only reason the service wasn't at the KH was because the coffin couldn't fit through the door.

maybe in your area. round here they held a wake at a funeral home, burial, and memorial service at the KH but no coffins in the hall for the reason stated above.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

i was told that the only reason the service wasn't at the KH was because the coffin couldn't fit through the door.

Couldn't they have simply tipped the coffin on it's end?

LOL

• blondie
    blondie

I have never seen pallbearers at a JW funeral. So many are held in KHs and the body/casket is not there; having been cremated in many cases. Very rarely do I see a woman pallbearer in non-JW funerals. There is very little if any lifting nowadays with the automated equipment that lowers the casket and transfers it from the hearse.

In most cultures, women did prepare the body for burial though, keeping vigil until the funeral.

I'm sure that it would be frowned upon though.

Blondie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

The WTS, at least the Australia branch, officially discourages having caskets in the KH - they say it draws too much attention to the individual!!!!!!!

So very few coffins are seen, and even fewer pallbearers who are almost always from the funeral directors' company officiating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit