Brother Salda

by teejay 10 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

The last memorial service/funeral I went to at a Kingdom Hall was for Brother Salda (his real name). Funny, but I can't think of his first name (his wife's name is Eileen); as for him, I only remember "Brother Salda."

Brother Salda was a very intelligent man, but not a very good Dub. His wife and three sons were all JWs. He worked for the state as a civil engineer, I think. In his own way he was brilliant, but not without his quirks. Those quirks got him laughed at (and away from any meaningful position in the cong.), laughs that were usually behind his back, but not always. As far as I could tell, he came to the religion reluctantly, since his wife wasn't going to give it up, and I was always under the impression that if he wanted to have any kind of relationship with his sons he figured he better get with the JW program. He did.

Brother Salda had one quirk that drove most people insane, if not just away from his presence--he hugged everybody and he never quit. And when I say everybody, that's what I mean. Sisters, brothers, elders. Most thought he was odd, and so did I.

The thing is, because of how I grew up, I had a hard time expressing affection for anyone, even people in my family that I loved. Somehow, over time, Brother Salda broke down that very thick wall that life had created for me. In spite of the jokes that others made about him, I can say that I came to love Brother Salda. He'd come up and greet you, and never seemed to be able to talk to you--asking how your week had been or sharing an experience of his own--without putting his arm firmly around your shoulder, something that got under my skin... until I learned to like it... learned to look forward to it. It was something my own father had NEVER done.

Anyway... after cutting a neighbor's yard, he died rather suddenly one day about 6 or 8 years ago, and although by that time I had reached the point that going into a Kingdom Hall made my skin crawl, I loved the man and what he had done for me, so I thought I'd honor him by going to his funeral service at the KH. So, I did.

At the time, Donna, his teenaged granddaughter, was disfellowshipped, having spent the remaining months of her grandfather's life apart from him. During the service at the KH, others asked Robert, one of the local elders of high repute, if it was Okay to go up and speak to her. He advised that it was probably not a good idea. So, they didn't.

Now, the entire Salda family, from Brother Salda on down, were always people of high honor to me, and coupled with my disdain for JW etiquette, I couldn't care less for Elder Robert's admonition. I went out of my way, making my way to the front of the Hall and took my time speaking to Donna and the rest of the family. I honestly sympathized with their loss in ways they don't know to this day.

One day this past week my Brother/Friend Aaron sent me an article from his local paper about funeral services (a post for another time) that made me think of, not my father, not my grandmothers or others that I have lost, but of Brother Salda.

I thought I'd speak of him.

I hope you don't mind.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Teejay,

HUGS. What a wonderful post. What a wonderful reminder to me to remember the witnesses I loved as people.

Its hard for me to separate sometimes the hatred I have for the false doctrines and ludicrous policies from the people that I knew.

I loved more of them than I didn't. I miss many of them more than they will ever know.

hugs

Joel

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Your story about this fine man who was ostracized because he did not fit the JW male mold reminded me of an sister I once knew who was also ostracized despite her giving 110% to what she believed to be the only way to worhip God.

I had moved to a new, large cong, where I was basicly ignored because I only did enough field service to stay active. One of the few people that I got aquainted with was a middleaged sister who also was always ignored at the KH. This sister's husband was an alcoholic open-opposer. They were very poor. She also had to care for an adult child who had a whole plethora of health problems. This sister STRUGGLED with each meeting she attended, and with the occasional times she was able to go out in field service. Despite all this, I found her to be one of the most knowledgable and faithful sisters I had ever met. Since few people ever talked to either of us, we often sat in adjacent rows so we could talk to each other. After about a year, I finally said something to a group of elders about the cong showing this sister more attention. The oldest, and only annointed one, blew his stack and said something very derogatory about her. (I don't remember what it was because I went "red" as soon as I saw their initial reaction to my suggestion.) That was one of the 10,000 straws that it took to break the proverbial camel's back as regards my feelings about the org. No matter how much you do, if it doesn't fit the mold, you are dirt to the insiders.

• Francois
    Francois

I've never before seen anyone use this site to honor another person in just the way you did. And it gives me a very pleasant feeling I can't quite describe.

Francois

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• teejay
    teejay

Joel,

Its hard for me to separate sometimes the hatred I have for the false doctrines and ludicrous policies from the people that I knew.

I understand, but I'm just the opposite. To be honest, I see only victims, from the GB on up. They are all victims of a nameless, faceless thing called "the Society." Didn't Orwell have something to say about this?

Lucky for us, something happened in our life where something made us stop and think, do research, question. "If not for the grace of god..."

I knew some very good people, and if it weren't for their ties to the org, we'd be close friends to this day... going to movies, regularly having long talks and laughs over drinks and good music. Got me shaking my head...

I loved more of them than I didn't. I miss many of them more than they will ever know.

Me, too, Joel ... me, too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello, MadApostate,

(cool name, btw. I can relate.)

Your story about this fine man who was ostracized because he did not fit the JW male mold...

I didn't mention it, but out of the blue Brother Salda would commence to speak about the mathematics, geology, and geography that came into play when state and federal highways were being laid out. Needless to say, it wouldn't be long before he lost me completely, though I tried my best to hang on. To him, it was second nature (what do you expect from a guy who carried a computer in his shirt pocket?), but he was NEVER condescending--I always got the impression that he thought that I understood what he was saying... I put on a good act, I guess. Brother Salda gave lousy #2 talks, though, and public prayers left him very, very flustered. Go figure. Like I said, he wasn't a very good dub.

... reminded me of an sister I once knew who was also ostracized despite her giving 110% to what she believed to be the only way to worhip God.

The widow who gave her all (the so-called "widow's mite") that Jesus spoke of, if such a woman were alive today, would be visited by the Service Overseer and the CO, I'm afraid. They'd want to know what her problem was. Her fine example is paid lip service in the magazines, but in the real JW world, her course of life wouldn't carry much weight. They'd wonder what the hell was wrong with her.

That's the thought I had when I read what you had to say about the sister that you knew who did her best to attend the mtgs. The little ones don' t mean much in the org. -- only the Elders, the Pioneers, the Bethelites, in other words: the "glorious ones".

Near the end of my involvement with the movement, I wondered why the CO specialized in spending time with the strongest of the congregation when he came around when, as far as I could tell, Jesus did just the opposite. Why not go to see those who haven't been to the mtgs in a while? The inactive? Those in the nursing homes. It didn't make sense to me... until I thought about it.

Do you know what happened to her? People like her have my heart. Make no mistake --the people of the earth... they're the best.

tj,

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

Hi teejay - this was very meaningful to me:

The thing is, because of how I grew up, I had a hard time expressing affection for anyone, even people in my family that I loved. Somehow, over time, Brother Salda broke down that very thick wall that life had created for me. In spite of the jokes that others made about him, I can say that I came to love Brother Salda. He'd come up and greet you, and never seemed to be able to talk to you--asking how your week had been or sharing an experience of his own--without putting his arm firmly around your shoulder, something that got under my skin... until I learned to like it... learned to look forward to it. It was something my own father had NEVER done.

Both my parents were non-huggers/touchers - so it's good to know that you were actually able to overcome the built-in aversion you naturally developed toward affection!

At the time, Donna, his teenaged granddaughter, was disfellowshipped, having spent the remaining months of her grandfather's life apart from him. During the service at the KH, others asked Robert, one of the local elders of high repute, if it was Okay to go up and speak to her. He advised that it was probably not a good idea. So, they didn't.

A very sickening aspect of JWism. I know a lot of the friends feel bad about it, but they just go along with the admonitions to withhold love, hoping this is the "godly" thing to do! Such a shame.

Now, the entire Salda family, from Brother Salda on down, were always people of high honor to me, and coupled with my disdain for JW etiquette, I couldn't care less for Elder Robert's admonition. I went out of my way, making my way to the front of the Hall and took my time speaking to Donna and the rest of the family. I honestly sympathized with their loss in ways they don't know to this day.

I think I know just how you felt and I've done the same thing. I've "gotten away with" showing love in this way at funerals too.

Thanks for this post teejay, though it's quite old now, I'm sure the sentiments are still alive.

And again, it's so good to have you back over here!

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

And Francois wrote in response:

I've never before seen anyone use this site to honor another person in just the way you did. And it gives me a very pleasant feeling I can't quite describe.

Francois

Now if we could only get Francois to pop in now and then. Do you know if he's feeling any better? I hope so.

(((((Francois)))))

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

TJ:
    Over two years on, and this is more moving than ever.
    Thanks for posting it. It kinda shows that our words are in a way immortalised here, too, huh?

• Englishman
    Englishman
    Now if we could only get Francois to pop in now and then. Do you know if he's feeling any better? I hope so.

(((((Francois)))))

Francois became quite anti JWD eventually. He and Simon were at opposing ends of most discussions and appeared to rub each other the wrong way.

I kept communication lines open with Francois for quite a while until quite recently. He seemed to suffer with mood swings which may have been down to some medication that it was necessary for him to take.

I hope he's well and happy.

Englishman.

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

During the service at the KH, others asked Robert, one of the local elders of high repute, if it was Okay to go up and speak to her. He advised that it was probably not a good idea. So, they didn't.

Now, the entire Salda family, from Brother Salda on down, were always people of high honor to me, and coupled with my disdain for JW etiquette, I couldn't care less for Elder Robert's admonition. I went out of my way, making my way to the front of the Hall and took my time speaking to Donna and the rest of the family.

Great post my friend!

Reminds me of the last funeral that I went to. A close friend of mine had just disassociated himself from the borg. Right after that his mother died. But he had a really big family-all jw's. So, anyway after the brother gave his talk I went right over to my friend and hugged him. Believe it or not most everyone else followed suit.

Whats up francois?

Later

Merc'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit