Graduation is okay?

by Oxnard Hamster 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

As you all know, JWs avoid celebrating all major holidays because they are "worldly" and "worldly" things displease Jehovah.

However, I remember some JWs talking about celebrating certain kids' high school graduations.

So it's not okay to celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter, birthdays, etc, but it is okay to celebrate someone's graduation? How so? Aren't graduations a wordly function, the same as birthdays? Why is this one exception okay, when JWs are adamant about having nothing to do with anything else?

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

It's because Russell and Rutherford never railed against them. I assume they weren't a big thing back at the turn of the century. Just like anniversaries are ok and wedding bands...but not throwing rice. Pick and choose, pick and choose.

Bulletin board / announcement board. Talk about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

Anniversaries are okay also?

So essentially, anything that the bigwigs don't whine about is okay? The more I learn about how this organization really operates, the more frightened I become I almost joined them. I wonder if Mr. Lucas was referring to JWs when one of his characters said this about the Clone Troopers in Star Wars Episode II, "They will obey orders without question."

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My parent's allowed me to have an 8th grade graduation. I know they ok'd this with the elder's cause they didn't allow us to do anything without getting their "expert approval". Some even brought me gifts, imagine that!! Also, my stepdad bought me a large Sears pool, and built a room around it for a graduation gift. Plus we allows celebrated their wedding anniversary. As oxy-moron as the elders were, it surprised me I was allowed the party.

shelley

• rebel8
    rebel8

The latest thing I recall reading is graduations and anniversaries were ok if they did not over-glorify the guests of honor and the parties weren't too large. I know many disregard that and remain in good standing.

The quotes site is down, so I can't check.

• wordlywife
    wordlywife

Sheesh-

My step-daughter's High School graduation party may have out done any party a wordly person would have had. A reserved park, two grills going, huge cake, decorations, etc., basket for money and pile of gifts.....I still can't understand how this is any different than singling someone out for a birthday. This seems far worse to me than having a few people for a family dinner for a birthday!

But then again I am worldly............

ww

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Because, No one died at a Graduation party!

LOL....Nancy Drake almost had a guy die at her party though. It's not funny but then it is in a way. I am shocked they didn't ban our Congregation from having them after that. They would have said it was New Light!

Brooke

• minimus
    minimus

Graduations are great because the JW is FORCED to not do the things all the others are doing. They get more notoriety from not standing to sing the National Anthem or even the school song---so it makes for good press for the persecuted Christian youth.

• blondie
    blondie
    Aren't graduations a wordly function, the same as birthdays?

It is not because they are worldly functions but per the WTS holidays and birthdays have some basis in false religion, violence, or neutrality issues.

The issues with graduations, attending them, come up when a prayer is given or the flag is saluted. JWs do find ways to get around participating in this and still be at the graduation. I have seen it done for over 40 years.

Anniversaries are dealt with similarly.

I'm sure there are individual JWs who have strong feelings about graduations but they have not been official endorsed by the WTS.

If graduation ceremonies in themselves were bad per some individual, there would be no Gilead School graduations, a big function, twice a year, with several thousand in attendance.

In fact, I was not able to find anything directly about attending school graduations on the WT-CD 2001.

Blondie

• minimus
    minimus

Worldy graduations give too much honor to the individual. And that is so wrong.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit